While the reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive, we had a different experience at Como and ended up checking out a day early.
Before I go into my negative comments, I would like to start by saying that the resort is absolutely spectacular!! The walk down to the river is reason alone to stay here (we also saw the views from the Amandari and the Four Seasons Sayan and they don't compare). The food is delicious and healthy and was very much up our alley.
While the resort is beautiful, we encountered our fair share of problems.
The biggest issue for us was that the neighbors were sawing trees from 10am to 4pm during one of our two days at the resort. While I appreciate that there was nothing the resort could do, this was very irritating.
Another problem was the activities offered. The resort advertises itself as a wellness retreat and we were under the false understanding that with a room rate over $1000/night that activities would be offered. The activity list is extremely limited and with the exception of yoga and meditation (and one or two other things) all of the activities are at an additional cost. The Amandari and Four Seasons offer more complimentary activities than Como and are both much better value. The four seasons is $510/night vs $1052/night at Como.
Also, the gym is absolutely NOT usuable. It has nice equipment but it smells like mold and after 2 minutes I promise you will be gasping for fresh air. While I understand that the emphasis here is on outdoor activities, the very least that I would expect from a wellness resort would be a usuable gym.
What really left a bad taste in our mouth was how the staff handled our experience. Instead of a personal follow up letter, we each received an automated letter from the manager telling us he hoped we enjoyed our stay. They were very aware of our experience and we would've expected a personal follow up note.
This resort has so much potential and the setting is so beautiful. It just needs to figure out its mission, fix up its gym and work on its service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- COMO Shambhala Estate is a residential health retreat with luxury villa-style accommodations near Ubud, Bali. This ‘Retreat for Change’ is a place to relax and improve wellbeing. State-of-the-art wellness facilities include a Vitality pool, private treatment areas beside the River Ayung, a climbing wall, gym, Pilates studio and yoga pavilion. The Estate’s Resident Experts, who all support the 360-degree approach to wellness, include a Yoga Master, Ayurvedic Doctor and guides for outdoor activities, with nutritional menus by COMO Shambhala Cuisine. The range of suites and villas, perched above the Balinese jungle, suits independent guests, couples, or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your COMO Shambhala Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Como Shambhala Estate Hotel Payangan
- COMO Shambhala Estate Bali/Payangan