“Want to be spoilt?”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Payangan
“Want to be spoilt?”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was on holiday in Ubud for a couple of days and had the pleasure of experiencing Como Shambhala staying in a beautiful Pool Villa - absolutely amazing. I had my own large outdoor living area with a swing bed and 2 comfy deck chairs beside by 10 mt swimming pool (which could be heated if I wanted to), then inside was an extremely comfortable bedroom with large flat screen TV and extremely comfortable circular lounges, a separate TV lounge area with large walk in wardrobe, then a very large bathroom with huge bath tub and a shower that was also a steam room. That led to our outside shower deck with access into the pool. Did I want to leave my villa - NO....why would I.
I was also lucky enough to have an excellent Butler called Eka who was there for me whenever needed and was happy to arrange spa treatments, show me around the huge grounds.
The meals are amazing all organic offering an amazing menu selection along with some incredible juices. Alcohol is available but not offered - this is a health retreat.
Como Shambhala is a health retreat - you can stay on a bed and breakfast basis however I strongly recommend taking a 3 night programme where all your meals, Spa treatments are included and I feel would be better value for your stay.
The location offers some amazing views where you can easily just "chill" and listen to the birdlife or do yoga or pilates or enjoy a spa treatment down by the river.....300 steps down and 300 steps back up again.
I can highly recommend experiencing Como Shambhala.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Judy A,

Greetings from the island of the Gods and a thousand temples!

Thank you so much for the lovely review. It is a compliment we at COMO Shambhala Estate love to hear.

We trust that the flight of stairs, 300 steps down and 300 steps back up, has brought you to our lovely Kedara (Water Garden). Many have commented that the pools at Kedara are so rejuvenating – it is an unique feature of which we are very proud to have this mindboggling feature. The water is naturally rich in minerals and originates from our own natural source – we call it “the Source”. The villagers in Begawan believe that the Source is a holy one with healing power. We often hold religious blessing ceremonies there which are performed by a local celebrant and an assistant who guide the guest through the event. The blessing takes approximately 20 minutes, during which the celebrants pray for the guest’s safety, health and happiness.

Your kind words on our One Bedroom Retreat Villa is much appreciate. Should you feel inclined to do so, you can consider one of our five residences in your next visit. Their designs were inspired by the five elements, with the entire concept taking 10 years to build. The aesthetic mixes Asian and European influences, handmade furniture, Indonesian artefacts and architectural details that exude the spirit of the region.

We are happy that you recommended our wellness programme. We would like to think that the programme is beyond “value for money”. Our wellness programme aim to help individuals find a sense of peace through the continuous process of learning and rebalancing, aided by special environments, specific knowledge and healing therapies. It is our sincere wish that at the end of their stay with us, our guests are able to bring and integrate their “discovery” into their daily life.

We hope you will return back home soon, perhaps with family to relive your fond memories in the Estate.

Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was travelling alone and as an older person I was very apprehensive ..although I am a seasoned traveller... i need not have worried ..this place is just perfect........the staff ...fantastic..the manager fantastic..he was effecient..very friendly..very attentive....and fun personalitiy.. I cried when i left.

The Pa looking after you is a brilliant idea..service excellent.,.....
I had various massages but the one with DEWA ..the head and shoulder massage was to die for ..i went back for a second one with him.....very strong hands.....beautiful setting over looking grenery.
food excellent......the breakfast in the bedroom was a real treat......candles by the bath when I arrived. I was in heaven.
now there are a lot of steps.. i hate walking...but managed them ok ..no probs if I can do it anyone can.

I went on the visit to see the healer advertised on the website ...in my opinion and yours may be different was a total waste of time and money,..8 mins and he was done.....

I did however book myself a tour operator before I arrived who was just brilliant ....fantastic company..effecient..caring..informative it was NYman Grago ar Bali Traditional Tours..very very very good value for money. tel no if younwant it..62 85 935 009 823. i never visit a place twice..but I will be back.....stunning

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear windy87,

Greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate!

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write about our beautiful property – the words of praise from such a seasoned reviewer as yourself mean the world to us all here.

Whether you are travelling alone or as a couple or with your families, the Estate welcomes you. We are here to help our guest making real and lasting improvements to their lifestyle while learning to relax more completely. Every aspect of the Estate answers to this greater purpose—the design, facilities, staff, treatments, cuisine, accommodation and community. On a side note, we have run a “friendship table” during lunch or dinner in glow. It is a designated table in which can seat more guests than usual; where guests can come together and meet each other, rather than sitting separately alone, or in couples etc. We hope you had the opportunity to experience it.

Nestled across 23- acres of tropical forest clearings above the Ayung River in the heart of Begawan Village, the Estate is designed in complete harmony with nature thus steps are crucial in blending the building with nature. We are happy to know that you managed to “conquer” them. I hope if you ever stay with us again in the future, you will be able to enjoy our Estate Walk. It is designed for a leisure and challenging but fun walk. Its route allows our guest to explore and see the hidden beauty of the land – some areas can be such inspirations that we stop walking for a while. Enjoying the lush greenery, the nature sound while sitting down on the grass have helped many to see life in different way and get inspire to be more.

I have passed your compliment to Dewa, as well as our PA team and our Food and Beverage team. It is the employees that often leave the longest impression and create meaningful memory on our guests. We are very lucky to have such a talented team and I have already shared your comments with everyone at the resort.

We look forward to your return very soon where you will further explore what we have to offer.

sydney
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

This place is perfection! I never write reviews but this place deserves it. The estate is so beautiful, and its beauty isn't captured in the photos. It's quiet and a perfect place to chill out by yourself or with a friend/ partner. The food is amazing, within the wellness package you're provided with 3 course meals at lunch and dinner, it's almost too good to do a cleanse. The service is impeccable and the staff are amazing. While I questioned the cost initially when you arrive and you see what's included it's certainly worth it.
Highly recommended!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank herbsby
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear hersby,

Greetings from the Banjar Begawan!

We are greatful and happy to know that your COMO Shambhala Estate experience has managed to “entice” you in writing your first review.

The word “Perfection” certeainly is aptly used to describe the Estate. We are very fortunately that the nature has given its beauty freely to us – from white silvery clouds glide almost imperceptibly against the blue sky to animal singing their joy to life. All are something that needs to be experienced since it is too rich to be captured in words or picture.

I have passed your lovely comment to our Restaurant and Kitchen team. They are very proud to know that they have played important roles in creating memorable experience for you. Our COMO Shambhala Cuisine is designed to maximise energy and wellbeing with the use of nutritionally rich foods. Consuming the cuisine in itself is helping to cleanse the body from the outside in. We hope there will be another opportunity in the future for you to explore more of our cuisine and juices.

We look forward to welcoming you back home home to the Estate in the near future.

St Croix
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I am currently in residence for my 3rd visit to The Estate; it is truly perfection.
Starting with the airport greeter all the way down the line to groundskeepers, everyone has a smile and warm hello.

This is the place if you are looking to reconnect with nature, spirit, peace and tranquility; it is like no other.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear STXresident,

Greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate!

Thank you so much for putting in a good word for the Estate on Trip Advisor. It is much appreciated.

It is thrilling to know that we still managed to give you “perfection” in your third stay with us. Here in the lushness of Banjar Begawan, we are blessed with the healing grace of nature. That blended with carefully crafted comforts and services makes for an exacting healing holiday indeed.

We hope that we would be able to welcome you back again in the near future. Can't wait!

Oakland, California, United States
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

This was a wonderful place to stay - great and healthy food, extreme privacy; wonderful, friendly, and professional staff; Seamless efficiency of service and special planning; restfulness; accessible and wonderful culture. The best thing about this place though was the intrinsic and breathtaking beauty. I loved it and I will go back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Andy M,

Greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate!

Thank you for your review of the Estate. It is our goal to immerse all of our guests in a positive, holistic and healing experience through all aspects – design, facilities, staff, treatments, cuisine, accommodation, community, adventure and culture. Nothing makes us happier than to learn that we have succeeded and to know that you have shared your kind comment to the world about our service and facilities.

All we can say now is we hope to welcome you back home to the little Paradise in the near future.

Oakland, California
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left this was a pleasure. It's such a peaceful romantic getaway for your mind, body and spirit. My wife and I spent our 10th anniversary in Bali and stayed here only two nights out of our stay. What a mistake. You need more time there. It really is a special place and worth every penny. Be sure to take advantage of all they have to offer such as yoga, treatments, hydrotherapy, bike rides, rafting and more. I expect to be back!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Dr_hotel72,

Warmest greetings from peaceful Banjar Begawan!

We would have to agree that 2 days definitely are not enough to experience the Estate. However, we sensed that you have done well in exploring what The Estate has to offer in terms of its services, peaceful surroundings and the pure Balinese grace. On your second visit, you might want to consider joining one of our wellness programme to gain more benefits from staying with us. Our wellness programme is designed to start off with a private consultation to discuss personal goals and requirements. We believe that this proactive approach allows us to deliver a balanced combinations of meals, treatments and activities in a way that also allows two people sharing an accommodation to opt for and do different programmes. Till then, should you miss us and look for something closer to home, Metropolitan by COMO, Miami Beach has opened already.

Thank you again for all of your kind words and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back soon to the Estate.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This place is magical. Really magical. Those "once in a lifetime" places that should be on your "I have to go here before I die" list. It's so unique and wonderful, you have to see it to believe it, the photos on the website don't begin to capture what it's like to stay here. Since arriving home, I have convinced 3 colleagues to go and stay at Como for their own holidays, so they can experience what I was fortunate enough to experience. It was love at first sight.

I did the 6 day stress management program, and found it to have the perfect balance of activities, spa treatments and down-time for relaxing, that I have come home rested, relaxed and recharged completely. Thank you Como Shambhala, my time with you was amazing and a lifetime memory.

So on with the details:

- the hotel staff: so kind, warm and lovely. Right from the GM who makes everyone individually welcome(Paul), to my personal assistant (Kariyasa) who put up with all my weird requests and changes with a lovely smile, and all the restaurant, grounds and spa staff who constantly brought a smile to my face throughout the day. Throught the resort there were just warm, wonderful people who would do anything to make you feel special and nothing was ever a bother, no matter how small or trivial or how big and annoying. The personal assistant is your key to having a great time at the Estate; use them (in a nice way of course). Thank you to ALL the staff, without you, I would not have had half the experience I had. Paul, I promise I am coming back for round two soon...

- the professional staff (Eve the Dietition, Dave the Chinese medicine practitioner, Aryuvedic doctor and yoga/meditation guru, Amy the pilates instructor): so helpful, knoweldgable and generous with their time (outside the paid consultations). Thanks to Eve and Dave particularly; I am implementing your suggestions at home - you are marvels. Also special shout out to Tamal and his yoga class, for making us smile and do really hard poses at the same time; you are one of a kind Tamal!

- the food: is RIDICULOUSLY good (thanks chef team); I was there 7 days and never bored or at a loss what to order (and I was on a restricted menu). The quality of ingredients and the freshness is outstanding. I could ramble on about this forever. I won't, you'll just have to see for yourself.

- the rooms: Wanakasa 5 was where I stayed and it was lovely. Totally private and at the edge of the jungle. My only feedback would be in addition to air con, having the option of a fan would be lovely (in light of the natural environment), as air con can get a bit much after a few days. As to the choice of residence, a lot of guests that I met, love and swear by Tirta Ening residence also. Personally, I looked around the property when selecting my room (yes, they are kind enough to let you do this), and I loved the energy in Wanakasa, but would be totally willing to try somewhere new next time.

- the activities: fantastic selection of things to do if you wanted (and no pressure if you did not). I think there could be more yoga and more meditation, but that's what I am really into, so next time, I would ask for that in advance. Weirdly, and despite all my instincts that this class was for grandmas, the Aqua Therapy class is amazing and not be missed. I would recommend the water temple ritual at the start of your trip and a trip to the Balinese healer. I loved both these (additional cost) activities. There are still so many things I want to do when I go back (yes, it's official, I'm re-booking to go back).

- the Estate/hotel grounds: this place is where I want to end up when I die. The grounds are stunning, the pools down by the river are not to be missed. It's a hike, but good exercise and worth it. The amount of special spots on this Estate cannot be counted, but look hard enough and you'll be sure to find yours (I love the little meditation hut down by the river - bliss). The Estate walk, escorted or alone, is a must do at some point (although it may be a challenge for some; it's steep).

Overall, seven days there felt like a year in heaven and I can't get back there fast enough. This is the kind of place that when you are there, you catch yourself grinning to yourself many times throughout the day, when you realise how lucky you are to be there.

Room Tip: I loved Wanakasa, the infinity pool over the jungle is incredible and it feels like you are part of...