“Breathtakingly beautiful way to enhance your health and wellbeing.”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Payangan
Melbourne
“Breathtakingly beautiful way to enhance your health and wellbeing.”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Spending 4 days at Como Shambhala really reenergised my husband and me. The entire experience was just perfect, made even more memorable by the warm and generous attitude of our personal advisor, Ayu. A grateful thank you.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Just a few words to sum up our experience: calm, peaceful, relaxing, very friendly service, very good food, beautiful gardens, excellent spa, romantic, a treat for body and soul.

A remark? I wasn't a big fan of the design of the bed (quite difficult to get in & out as there was a huge wooden border around the bed), but that might just be my personal taste. However, rooms will start to look a bit dated soon I think. But this is such a minor remark that it should not influence your decision.

Definitely a place I recommend!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FergieBrussels
Paul L L, General Manager at COMO Shambhala Estate, responded to this review, 15 May 2015
Dear FergieBrussels,

Greetings from COMO Shambhala Estate!

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write about our property – the words of praise from such a seasoned reviewer as yourself mean the world to us all here and have been shared with the whole team.

It is always our goal to immerse all of our guests in a positive, holistic and healing experience through all aspects – design, facilities, staff, treatments, cuisine, accommodation, community, adventure and culture. Reading the summary of your experience, we felt that we have managed to achieve this during your stay with us.

Built into jungle clearings and located above the Ayung River, our property is quite vast with various type of accommodation. I believe that you stayed in one of our five Residences. Each of these five Residences are unique in their own way –no two are alike either in interior design or view. Thus, should you find your way back to the Estate, we would like to recommend you to stay in Tejasuara (sound of fire) residence where there is no huge wooden border around the bed. The distinguishing feature of this bold, primitive residence is the fire pit located at the very edge of the pool, lit every evening to symbolize the essence of its existence; fire. Adorned with tribal clothes furniture and antiques in line with its rugged Sumba architecture.

We look forward to another opportunity to host you at our property, and once again, thank you for your positive comments!

Kind regards,
Paul
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I first visited the Como in 2009 when I stayed at the Chedi in Ubud. A friend recommended the spa and when I arrived I thought it was jaw droppingly beautiful and made plans to return for a personal retreat sometime in the future.

Fast forward to 2014 - I just returned from my 4 day stay and sad to say, it really did not meet my expectations and I will not be returning again.

The grounds are as beautiful as I remembered and when I arrived and was shown around the resort and introduced to the activities, I was very keen to embark on what seemed like it would be a fantastic getaway.

There are 5 different residences in the resort. I read some of the other reviews touting Wanakasa as wonderful but strangely my opinion defers. Perhaps it's because I was a lone traveller, travelling in low season. That particular residence is far far away from the main area and at night my room required me to walk down a very dimly lit path, half way down a steep slope to my room. The room itself is lacking - very old and musty and damp. It also does not feel safe as that residence is entirely open to the river and you are completely isolated. It was terribly uncomfortable. If you visit como on your own, pls emphasize you would not like this room. Initially I thought it might be me but I met two other female travelers during the time I was there who had requested a change from that room when they were assigned it! They had the exact same complaints about the room not feeling safe, being very damp and musty smelling, dark and dangerous etc

I had a fairly sleepless first night - not helped by the fact that their king sized bed was extremely uncomfortable because it was made up of two single beds put together which resulted in an obviously depression down the middle. Pretty shocking for a high end resort but not as shocking as the fact that there were dried blood stains all over the bed sheets. I tried to call the front desk to ask for an immediate change in room but after calling about 5 times with no on picking up, I gave up. As a balm for my insomnia, I wrote an email to the general address asking it to be directed to Paul, the general manager (I tried googling everywhere for his direct address but it's impossible to find. Quite different from most resorts which usually has the manager greeting you at some point during your stay and also are generally more accessible).

The next day I was transferred to the one bedroom pool villa. This was much nicer although I definitely would not have paid rack rate for this. It is a huge room but very dated (iPhone 4 docks sound system anyone?). It's a villa that would have been impressive 10 years ago.

Service improved significantly after my email but I was disappointed that the general manager didn't meet me in person as I would've like to offer my feedback personally. The manager on duty did come and speak with me but I felt like my concerns were not really being addressed.

Me: there were dried blood stains on the bed sheets and no one picked up my call when I called 5x at 11pm.

Manager on duty: yes ma'am, certainly of course no problem.

I felt like the offer of an upgraded room was a bit insincere - more to shut me up than a genuine desire to hear out my complaints.

The rest of the staff are lovely. Tinton, my butler, was always around to check on me without being obstructive. Especially commendable were the restaurant staff who excel at customized orders and had a high service level in general.

The other positive part of the resort was the food which is fantastic. Although sad to say, when I had an extremely good raw Caesar salad and wanted to chat with the chef, I was told the chef wasn't free. There is also a Pilates instructor there, Amy who I thought was excellent. She made the class very interesting. The yoga teacher on the other hand was very lackluster and seemed unable to accommodate the varying degrees of experience in the class and in the end copped out and made it an extremely basic class (this despite the fact that half the class had more than 5 years of practice). Another aspect of the resort I felt was good was that they were very accommodating and flexible regarding changes to the program. I switched my private yoga class to a rock climbing session and really enjoyed that.

I come to Bali twice a year and this is probably my 10th time in Bali, 4th time in Ubud. For the price you pay at the Como, you can get infinitely better value at many many other places. There are lots of other luxury resorts hot on their heels and after my stay at the Como, I fear it is going the way of the Banyan Tree; a trailblazer back in the day but resting on its laurels, the cracks are beginning to show.

• Stayed June 2014
15 Thank OllieChew
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great location, facilities, friendly staff etc etc.

Not so great for the lone travellers as its a huge estate so you rarely see other guests to mingle.

Ideal for a couple wanting to chill out on their own ...

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We spent an amazing five days at Como to detox and take some time to recharge the batteries. We were not disappointed. An amazing experience. Fabulous staff, nothing was too much trouble.

We chose to endure the five day raw detox, two days of juicing only followed by raw menu for the remaining three days. The food was absolutely amazing. The variety of delicious dishes that they concocted from just vegetables and fruit was incredible. We lost weight and felt incredible at the end of our detox! It was very strange to be sitting down to dinner in a restaurant and not have any wine or champagne! We made it and felt so much better for it!

We partook of all the activities available, yoga, pilates, meditation, acupuncture, massage, lymphatic drainage, facials, aqua therapy. All performed by very efficient and knowledgable staff.

We had a fantastic two bedroom villa with a large lap pool with the most spectacular view ! There are many stairs to get down to the room but it is well worth it.

Planning to go again this year and want to return twice a year in the future.

Room Tip: Two bedroom villas gorgeous, with lap pool and outdoor shower.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank astylishlife
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 June 2014

i went to como shambhala in late april for their well being program for 6 days. the property is amazing, situated right next to the river so we could hear running river all the time. there is a perfect combination between activities and relaxation. we stayed in the resort for 6 days and didn't feel bored for one single moment. our personal assistant, TinTon, made our stay perfect. he is attentive, detail oriented, courteous and very friendly. Our holiday would not have been so perfect if it wasn't for him. the estate is great for different kinds of visitors, solos, couples, friends and family. i would love to come back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

So this hotel is absolutely stunning! Customer service is great and the setting is gorgeous. The highlight of my trip was the massage in the special cabin facing the river and the scenery. Not only it was ABSOLUTELY beautiful place but also, the BEST massage I’ve had!! (Note: I am a spa fanatic and I have at least 1-2 massages every time I travel). Highly recommend to spend the money in getting a massage here if you decide to stay here. If you want the private cabin with the view, just be mindful of the many steps to get there!!! (It is worth the effort though!)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank facchs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Ayung Resort Ubud
COMO Uma Ubud
#13 of 198 in Ubud
Hanging Gardens of Bali
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!