“amazing ...relaxing resort .ubud heaven..!!”

COMO Shambhala Estate
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Payangan
greece
“amazing ...relaxing resort .ubud heaven..!!”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Excellent Resort...first class all the way....Ubud itself ..the art capital of Bali...Well village..whatever..incrediable stay and experienceThe grounds of this estate were breath taking and so where the views.Complete relaxation..The staff were there for you 24/7..Recomend this haven to everybody.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I stayed at COMO Shambhala Estate in August 2010, travelling with a friend of mine, and hoping for some peace and quiet after a week of burning t he candle in Seminyak.

We couldn't have chosen a more idyllic place to get our mojo back.

COMO Shambhala is a hilly mountain retreat over the Ayung gorge, and from the moment you arrive, your breath is completely taken away by the unbelievable beauty of its location. The Estate is huge, and guests can walk around the entire estate, going up and down the hillside on a jungle adventure, and we genuinely found ourselves rubbing our eyes, and wondering WHERE ON EARTH we had found ourselves! I am well travelled, but it was simply the most beautiful place I have ever been. The whole place, is lush and green,and lovingly tended to by the amazing staff, monkeys run wild in the trees, and wherever you go you will find another bale, or pool, in which to relax.

The spa is amazing, although expensive for Bali, but that's to be expected for a world class spa. In the end, I didn't have any treatments, but simply treated Como Shambhala like the world class hotel it is, enjoying the gorgeous surroundings, several pools and delicious food (NB there is an amazing health food menu and raw food menu, but don't be put off - there is an equally delicious 'normal' food menu' and alcohol is freely available and in no way frowned upon, although you have to ask for the wine and cocktail list).

The hotel is divided into residences, each with its own personal assistant. Agung, our personal assistant, who fantastic - super helpful, never an overbearing presence, and always on hand to help out.

The spring pools down the mountainside are definitely worth a visit - it's a trek, and a tough climb back up, but you won't be able to believe the fantastic location and it's well worth it.

We stayed in a standard room, the most 'basic' class of room, and it was absolutely lovely, and really very reasonable for $300 a night including breakfast.

It isn't in the centre of Ubud - which is no bad thing - but a 15 minute drive away, which is $15 with a hotel car, which was absolutely no trouble at all, and perfectly convenient. But who needs to go to the Monkey Forest when they are in the trees during breakfast, and Balinese dancers come to the hotel?

In short, it was the best, most stunning, and utterly extraordinary hotel I have ever stayed in, and I would definitely recommend it very highly.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Coimbra, Portugal
Reviewed 26 August 2010

This hotel is...beauty,,peace...charmming..a pearl gem..a paradise hidden inside another graet paradise...but it aslo as it!s history...ask any Balinese...feel the Ceemonies...be next to pleasure and beauty,privacy and luxuru

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ANABELATAVARES
New York
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I just returned from a short rest & relaxation trip. In short, the trip exceeded my expectations. I had some reservations because I had some issues with their sister hotel Cocoa Island. However, I contacted the hotel prior to my visit and advised them of the issues I encountered previously. After communicating with the reservations manager Mirah I felt comfortable to proceed with my reservation.

The estate is lush and beautiful. They upgraded me from a terrace room to an estate suite. So I had a whole bungalow to myself. The room did show signs of aging (ie furniture, toilet). However, it did not detract too much from the general beautiful aesthetic of the suite.

I signed up for a wellness program that included yoga classes, massages and an appointment with a ayurvedic doctor. And, I believe all guests are assigned a personal assistant. My personal assistant was wonderful - he met me before most of my treatments and walked me to the spa and arranged my treatments and schedule.

The spa was beautiful. The rooms are different sizes. I did notice that the rooms designed for two persons was (obviously) more spacious and luxurious. The single person rooms not so much. Actually, they're tiny compared to the larger therapy rooms. I had a lovely therapist named Ani. She is small but strong and gave me two amazing massages.

Most of the guests are on their honeymoon. I thought there would be more solo wellness seekers. You hardly see other guests except during meal time. This was great for me because I came to get away from the crowds and spend time by myself to meditate, read and relax. I didn't venture out to Ubud. But, I believe other guests did take day trips. I know personal assistants can arrange cars and guides.

I took a walk down to the valley where there are three natural spring pools. There was no one there either. The walk is a bit scary as the area is very lush and moss grows on the stairs and banisters. I almost slipped a few times. But, the few is amazing and you feel like you're in the middle of a jungle!

A stay at Como is luxurious but not over the top or pretentious. I have been to other 5 star hotels and it was just much ... too ... much. I like top-end but Here people are more laid back looking for time away to rest and relax. So, I would not recommend this place if you're looking to party or have many small children. It wouldn't be the right fit.

My only gripe was the food portions. The portions are HUGE. I don't eat large portions in general and I kept requesting smaller portions and I generally got regular portions that would be big enough for two people.

I am a "particular" traveler. And, even I had to laugh at some of the reviews I read about CS. I would take some of the negative feedback with a grain of salt. Nothing is perfect and nothing ever will be. This place is pricey but ... it costs what it costs. And, they try their best to make guests happy but some guests will never be happy period.

Overall, the staff was super-friendly and sweet. I had an amazing holiday!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank vacationtime2000
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stay at COMO Shambhala Estate at Begawan Giri for 2 nights and i feel like i am in a prison.
I want to say first about the hotel and then why i felt like that.
The hotel in the first site was elegant and the staff welcome as very good.
The room was large, larger than i thought , and the bathroom even that the toilette was outside the bathroom was breath taking.
The bad about this hotel is that it is in the middle of no where and the COMO Shambhala Estate at Begawan Giri managers know that very well and took advantage about that.
If you want lets say to go from Nusa Dua to Kuta which is if i remember well about 15 to 20 Km you will pay no more than 10 $ per person.
If you want to go from the hotel to Ubud Centre, a 10 minutes drive, the hotel charge you because you cannot find taxi or any other vehicle, 50 $ for one ride!!!
So i decide to stay in the hotel yes but i must eat something! This also something that the hotel staff know it well that if you cannot go anywhere else you must stay in.
I pay for a pizza about 20 cm square (We are at Bali do not forget that) 17$!!!
Thank god that every day we have fresh fruit in our room.
I must say that the breakfast was not what i expect.
If you are a healthy food addict you will LOVE this hotel but i prefer beacon and eggs.
If you want to relax and the money isn't a problem for you visit this hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michael-TCS
Russia
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Como Shambala is a real shangri-la not far from Ubud, in the rice fields and jungles. You can feel yourself alone and relax. Wellness hotel in everything, great staff, food! Don't forget to visit spa with oil treatment and aqua therapy!:) and highly recommend to taste the cinnamon porridge on the breakfast and all lunch-dinner menu (if you are in love with chocolate - you mast taste "three way of chocolate")! Many thanks to Arjana and Bayu! I were TOO happy in Como together with my husband!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2010

I went to Como Shambhala wanting to rest, relax and renew, and I wasn't disappointed. The staff provide a genuinely warm and nurturing environment. They will happily organise as many activities in your day as you want, or give you the space to rest and explore on your own. I stayed at the resort for 6 days and only made two trips outside as I really enjoyed doing the complimentary yoga, pilates and hydrotherapy classes.

Highlights - great room with semi-private pool (I was upgraded to a Terrace Suite), beautiful serene location, delicious healthy food, great choice of juices, experienced instructors for yoga, pilates etc

Things to know - there's lots of stairs and slopes to walk up and down, so don't go if you can't manage that especially in the heat and humidity. As you would expect at a 5 star resort, meals are expensive compared to what you pay in a restaurant in Ubud. Unlike most other hotels in the area they do not provide a complimentary shuttle to go into Ubud. Hiring the hotel car is expensive, so ask your PA to book a taxi instead.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Chelsea_Girl33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Payangan
Viceroy Bali
COMO Uma Ubud
#14 of 199 in Ubud
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,309 reviews
Hanging Gardens of Bali

Been to COMO Shambhala Estate? Share your experiences!