The Como Shambhala Estate in Bali was a true paradise retreat. The rooms (called residences) are free standing structures with several lower priced residences that share a pool unlike the villas that have their own pool. In the 6 days that we stayed there we only saw one other couple one day at our shared pool. It's very quiet and private....you feel as though you are in the middle of the jungle surrounded by natural beauty (make no mistake... you are). The rooms are very well appointed, decorated in rich English Colonial style. All the residences have a balcony with chaise lounges. There is fresh tropical fruit provided in the rooms and the Como Shambhala toiletries are simply wonderful, made with all natural ingredients.
The rooms include breakfast ...and this is no ordinary breakfast. The food, whether it is the complimentary breakfast or dishes offered up at the two restaurants onsite; Glow (health concious menu) or Kudus (Balinese cuisine), is phenomenal. I'm a Manhattanite and a foodie, so I was extremely delighted that the hotel has such fine offerings. I read a review on this site complaining about not having an American style breakfast. If American cuisine is a must, this is not the place for you. The food is delicate and refined and very fresh, definitely not the stereotypical American fare.
The service at this hotel was impeccable. There is an assistant assigned to each secion of residences and they take care of all your wants and needs from dinner reservations, spa treatments to booking adventure tours. You can order a buggy (golf cart) to take you to and from your room as the grounds are vast, but we wound up walking most of the time as the grounds are so exotic and breathtaking. There is even a natural spring pool you can hike down to with full service.
The COMO hotel chain is renowned for their spa services and since this is their flagship hotel, the quality of the spa services, pilates and yoga classes were top notch.
One drawback of this hotel could be its location. While we truly enjoyed the serenity and vastness of the grounds, I could see some guests preferring to be closer to the center of Ubud. The nice thing about getting a driver to take you to the central part of Ubud, is that it will only cost you about $5 USD and takes about 15 minutes through scenic local roads.
One slight annoyance were the occasional screams ( of adventurous joy) from rafters riding along the Ayung River that flows around the perimeter of the hotel grounds. The hotel sits quite high on a mountain but because it's so peaceful, the voices from the rafters carry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- COMO Shambhala Estate is a residential health retreat with luxury villa-style accommodations near Ubud, Bali. This ‘Retreat for Change’ is a place to relax and improve wellbeing. State-of-the-art wellness facilities include a Vitality pool, private treatment areas beside the River Ayung, a climbing wall, gym, Pilates studio and yoga pavilion. The Estate’s Resident Experts, who all support the 360-degree approach to wellness, include a Yoga Master, Ayurvedic Doctor and guides for outdoor activities, with nutritional menus by COMO Shambhala Cuisine. The range of suites and villas, perched above the Balinese jungle, suits independent guests, couples, or small groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your COMO Shambhala Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Como Shambhala Estate Hotel Payangan
- COMO Shambhala Estate Bali/Payangan