My friend and I stayed at this gorgeous resort for one night only but we left feeling like we had made new friends. We stayed in a garden room close to the pool and had twin beds, which were really high and really comfy, and the outdoor shower made us both laugh as it’s the best thing ever – you’re basically showering from the mouth of a huge stone gargoyle! The WiFi in the room was super fast and free – always a bonus.
We ate lunch in the beach side restaurant and the service and food were both exceptional. Try the burger with cheese and fries. I know it’s a western old-faithful but they do it so well. We had a great dinner in the other restaurant and my coconut chicken soup and curried fish dish were definitely two of the most delicious Asian dishes I’ve had in Bali. Try the Irish Coffee with cream afterwards, which the boys will wheel to your table and flame up into your cup right in front of you. Oh and the breakfast is a huge spread – try the bircher muesli, the homemade breads and also the homemade salami and ham. The salami was the best I’ve ever tasted.
My friend celebrated her birthday here and the staff were so lovely. They made her a cake which we had after both breakfast and lunch, and they also left a little note and a vase of flowers on our outdoor table for her. Sometimes it’s the little things at a hotel that make you want to go back. Well at the Matahari there was a series of little things that just made us fall in love with the place.
We both had a signature massage in the spa. The oils all smell incredible and the massage was great, but the spa itself is worth a look even if you don’t have a treatment. You can sip your tea by a huge lily pond, and if you’re on a honeymoon you can have the place to yourself and even sleep on the outdoor bed. Maybe one day!
As for the huge swimming pool, the sun-loungers around it were the perfect spot for me to catch up on some kindle reading, although there’s more of a breeze if you head to the beach and lie on a lounger on the black sand. You can also play giant chess, darts or talk to the dive staff about a diving trip to Menjangan, although we didn’t do that on our visit as it was too windy and we were a bit scared of the current!
I love the eco friendly efforts in place at the Matahari, they not only compost and recycle waste but they also recycle their water to use on the gardens during dry season. I think it’s important for places to make efforts such as this on an island that’s changing so quickly and buckling under the weight of all its development in other areas. I would recommend the Matahari to anyone travelling through Pemuteran, and who feels deserving of a little bit of luxury.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the northern coast of the island, set amongst fragrant lotus and frangipani flowers, this splendid village consisting of Balinese pavilions overlooks the sea. Each ornate bungalow has hand-carved wooden folding doors, a tropical garden and an outdoor shower with a stone dragon: pure nirvana. Just like the sense of wellbeing imparted from the spa with its massage and other treatments in the best Balinese tradition. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Matahari Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matahari Beach Hotel Pemuteran
- Matahari Beach Resort And Spa
- Matahari Beach Resort & Spa Bali/Pemuteran