“The Real Bali”

Bali Mountain Retreat
Perth, United Kingdom
“The Real Bali”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This was my third trip to Bali, the first was 35 years ago, don't remember much from that experience, second was 2 years ago and I figured there has to be more to Bali than Aussies behaving badly. This time we came for 5 nights as a mature couple seeking the natural Bali and got fairly close. Richard and Rani arranged for us to be picked up from Kuta and driven to the resort, we would not have found it by ourselves. We chose an ensuite room with double bed which was very comfortable, the walls were a bit thin though. Guides on tours, although expensive, added value to each hike that you would not normally experience. 5 days was enough for an energetic couple as we had done all the activities on offer.
If you are coming for the yoga be warned that it is self managed as there is no resident yoga instructor.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Balimountainretreat, General Manager at Bali Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank you Bruce for your visit to the mountain and for your review.
Just to be clear to those reading this, we are a small retreat center and at times host different types of retreats, we do not advertise having a in house Yoga instructor on our website. We do have a Yoga / dance studio with mats etc which our guests are welcome to use anytime for practice.
All trek prices are on our website, the guides are paid very well which helps the local community. There is a payment made to the banjar as well for trekking.
I hope you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again one day.
Richard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Had an excellent 4-day break in Bali Mountain Retreat. Richard and Rani are great hosts! Friendly, customer focused and with a beautiful place to recharge in nature!

Cool days (around 24/5'C) and cooler nights 22'C with lush vegetation and peace and quiet. Only hear mainly birds and crickets. Nice rooms and excellent meals. Great for easy 1-3 hr walks where my partner and I recharged ourselves from city living.

Richard and Rani were very responsive to requests and join in for short chats during our meals to make sure that we are enjoying ourselves. Richard kinda look like a gentle Balinese Willie Nelson (he sings and has CDs of his songs!) as he walks around in his sarong!

Great place to bring partner or family to relax. Don't expect hectic excitement and you will have a great time!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I returned to the Bali Mountain Retreat for a second time and I know there will a third! It feelsso far away from the madness one can experience along the Bali coast yet only takes a couple of hours to get there from the airport.
BMR's tranquility and gentle atmosphere with the very welcoming host Richard and his staff, are unsurpassed in my Bali holiday experiences.
The room i had was clean and very comfortable, the interior design beautiful.
I chose to do nothing at all but enjoy the massages offered, do some yoga in the available stunning yoga hall, eat the traditional food in the restaurant and stare at the stunning views. Maybe next time i'll visit the ancient temple and walk the trails up the holy mountain!

Room Tip: I find the Lotus Villa is the most private accommodation on offer. Would also be very suitable for a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The 3 days we spent there were a marking point of our trip in Bali.
Tank so much Richard and the whole team for your hospitality and kindness. Particular thanks to Ferdi for the nice walks in the tropical forest and the temples ( with a ceremony just for the 2 of us: we still have the 3 gods'bracelets!)
A very authentic place far away from the hustle and bustle of the coast, in a luxurious garden, a very comfortable and nicely decorated room, a delicious home-made cuisine, excellent massages; retreat is the right word!
We strongly recommend this place for a real and relaxing break

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2013

High in the Balinese mountains amongst the rainforest with the luxury of beautiful serene accommodation and some of the best food I have eaten in Bali. Unpretentious but elegant, I loved that there were so many little get away areas to laze around in. There were many daily activities on offer, including a temple walk where I was blessed by the local priest- and not in a tourist way either. I did a jungle walk the day before and there were rice paddy walks and bike rides on offer.The friendly staff were from the local village and the areas to walk in were permaculture heavens- small areas of coffee, salak, papaya and taro.Loved my room although the eco reading light could have been a little brighter. Massive bed elegantly made and masses of space to hang clothes.This would be the place to have a yoga retreat or writers workshop because of the separate Javanese joglo with a gorgeous wooden floor and mirrors. I had a sleep at the entrance first -then did quiet yoga listening to the birds and looking at the birds eye view into the distance.-Gorgeous ! Get in early with your daily activity cos they can fill up....

Room Tip: If you are near another room ask them to shut their doors quietly as they are a little noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicolette B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My first visit to BMR was such a lovely experience I stayed again for 4 nights in June. I enjoyed the lovely room in the lotus house and I do love sharing the shower with a tree frog.. truly an experience in nature. Walking to the village and local temple through beautifully tendered crop gardens, stopping at a shine by a waterfall along the way and stopping to speak with friendly locals, not feeling in any way nervous to be walking alone - bliss. Richard was happy to organise tours for me tailored to my interests including Tanah Lot and Batukaru Temple. A highlight was meeting like minded people over dinner in the beautiful restaurant with friendly staff and food that continues to be delicious.
Tip - if you have just flown in bring some IDR up the mountain with you – there are no facilities locally to change money. Wifi reception is good but not so for mobile phones. A great place to relax BMR is off the beaten track!! Thanks to hosts Richard and Rani again for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ultrea2012
Singapore
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Driver from BMR picked us from Munduk Moding Plantation. Rani recommended that we do some sightseeing on the way and I was glad I took her recommendation. We visited Ulun Danu Beratan, Jatiluwih and Pura Luhur Batukau Temple. Drive to BMR was really bumpy at the last leg. Do give yourself ample time if you are heading to the airport.

Upon arrival, there was no check in and we were ushered to our room (the “Lotus House”) which we received a welcome from a frog which was on one of the side doors. No keys to the room but you can lock the doors from inside. Room is ensuite with bathroom however the WC is at the back and the shower area is at the front (porch area). A mosquito net and a stronger fan would have made my stay more comfortable as I am not a fan of insects. There are several families with young children during my stay and I am fascinated with the children’s curiosity of the insects and surround. I guess our exposure and upbringing is very different.

No worries about food. Most of the dishes I ordered were delicious. Do fill in the order chit the day before so that you can get your meals on time. On the 1st evening, dinner took quite a while to arrive as staff needs to cater to the pre-ordered dishes first. Some of my favourite dishes are: Mee Soto, Chicken Curry, Chocolate cake, Nasi Campur, Potato Croquette, Fiddletip Fern, Deep fried eggplant, Ayan Goreng, Gule Ayam & Fried Banana with ice cream. Breakfast is kind of slow in the morning but Richard is quite flexible with the timing for our trips. I love the pancake served with brown sugar. Many thanks to Richard for arranging a birthday cake for my friend and letting us dine at the Bird’s Nest.

We took 2 tours from BMR, “Cycling to hotspring” and “Rice field walk & Sarinbuana Village”. I find the cycling quite tough as the road has lots of potholes initially and it wasn’t easy to cycle up the slopes. Most of the way is downwards after that but I was terrible in keeping the bike straight down narrow slippery paths. Fell a few times and had several bruises on my legs. I have not cycled for years and have zero experience with bicycle gears. I believe most should be alright with the cycling. Hotspring cost IRD5,000 per person for the public pool and IRD100,000 per person for the private one. Walk to rice field and Sarinbuana village was easy except for some muddy parts at the rice field. It was great dipping in the river. One afternoon I rewarded myself with a 2 hours Hot Stone massage (IRD350,000). Massage was incredible as it soothes my bruises however it was kind of disturbing for about half an hour as there was a family playing just outside the spa room.

Journey from airport to BMR is about 2 and a half hours. But do not be intimidated by the distance if you are looking for pure relaxation among nature with great food. Richard is super friendly and never failed to chat with the guests daily.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Soori Bali
Alassari Plantation
Alassari Plantation
#1 of 5 in Selemadeg
Prana Dewi Mountain Resort

Been to Bali Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!