“Just go!!”
Review of Soori Bali

Soori Bali
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Tabanan
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Just came back from AVS. Bottom line: If u are thinking about this resort, JUST GO!
Some things have been repeated ad nauseum, but should still be emphasised: There is nothing within 20 minutes of this resort. So if u are a couple thinking of trying a different restaurant everyday, this is not the resort for u. Think Oberoi at Seminyak with those uber-cool restaurants instead.
Another negative point: Beach not really for swimming. Black sand is really powdery and nice tho.
Plus, plus points: SERVICE! The level of anticipation is really amazing. Little touches like the child car seats in the car that was sent to pick us up, Board games in the room for the kids before we arrived etc. Plus our villa host Mini was really great. Non intrusive and yet was there all the time when we needed her. Staff like Susie at the restaurant spontaneously entertaining my kids while my wife and I could spend some private moments at dinner. The warm family atmosphere where everybody addresses u by name is something to be remembered.
The spa is also memorable, comparable with the best we had in Maldives and thailand.
As mentioned, they really do have great high quality toiletries with bottled water everywhere in the room. Makes one feel they are not trying to fleece us at every single opportunity (think Waldorf Astoria with the USD 10 bottled water despite the hefty room rates)
While I agree not all the furnishings are top notch (the TOTO water cisterns creak a little, the wooden panels slightly faded at some areas), it is the human touch that separates this resort from the others.
All in, kudos to the management team for a great resort. we will definitely be back. Nuff said.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 November 2010

As the driver took us along the narrow roads to Tabanan, we passed beautiful golden padi fields. The journey seems endless though, taking 1 hour from the airport. We kept wondering .. are we there yet?

When we finally arriived, it was almost sunset. The fantastic view hits you from the lobby.. where the monstrous waves continuously crash onto the black-sand beach.
The nightly ritual of resident bats leaving their nearby cave is just awesome!

Dinner at the Restaurant Cotta specially catered to our request for nasi padang that night. The variety and taste totally exceeded our expectations. During another dinner there, we requested for a dish which was not on the menu and Chefs Ashton & Made did not disappoint. Kudos!

The Ocean Pool Villa was cozy, practical yet elegant and trendy. Not your usual run-of -the-mill toiletries here. They provide you with separate His and Hers as well as extras like aromatheraphy-based facial moisturiser and the all-important mozzie repellant.
We spent a lot of time admiring the view of the beach and beautifully manicured grounds from our villa. The waves that could reach up to 6 feet high were simply an amazing sight.

Having a personal Villa Host was a very unique experience. Although different hosts take turns, their attentiveness and service never disappointed.
Attention to detail is one factor that really amazed us here at Alila Soori. Not only was the reading selection wide and current, reading glasses were also provided in reading room. Imagine the thoughtfulness!

The in-house spa is as beautiful and calming as the therapists who were able to knead our knots and worries away. Our only regret was when the massage had to end..

Alila Villas Soori is truly a breath-taking and amazingly comfortable place to spend quality time with loved ones. Hubby and I would love to return one day..

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 November 2010

Just returned from a short but blissful stay at Alila. Would love to try and keep this review short and sweet but to truly do this hotel and its staff justice, I really have to explain. For those of you with short attention spans, I hope my title summed it up well.

This hotel was by far the greatest hotel experience I've ever had. I have travelled quite extensively throughout Asia and Europe, from $5/night huts to similar 5-Star properties and none have ever matched Alila Soori.

I’ll start with what many on here have already stated. The staff at this property are a rare breed. These are some of the nicest, most sincere and friendly people I’ve met. They’re truly responsible for making my stay so memorable. Adi, Novita, Santi, Ketut, Nada, just to name a few, are some of the people that I owe my fantastic holiday to. Marco, the General Manager, must have a great eye for hiring excellent staff because everyone from the spa to the housekeepers, front desk staff, restaurant staff and even the security are all amazing! Each and everyone of them guaranteed that we were treated like familiar friends. Although simple, being greeted and called by your first name by nearly everyone goes along way towards making you feel at home.

Beyond the people, Alila also has excellent villas and the property itself is beautiful. I loved the contemporary design, which is featured throughout the property. But it isn’t cold, minimalist style. Lots of wood and texture and tons of beautiful plants and flowers. Our Oceanview Villa was perfect; large infinity pool, sundeck, lounger and direct access to the black sand beach. Inside was even better. I absolutely loved the bed and linens! The room also had a giant soaking tub, two showers (one outdoors), double vanities, double closets, 2 TVs, iPod speakers, and my favourite, the Apple TV. It came stocked with a huge number of pretty damn good films, TV shows and excellent music, although they could stand to add a few more Madonna songs... The villa also comes fully stocked with what has to be the best hotel amenitity kit I’ve ever seen. I mean they’ve got it all! Sunscreen, moisturizer, lotion, hand soap, shower gel, shaving kit, bubble bath, lip balm, insect repellent, everything! And even better is that it’s ALL top quality, amazing! Another detail that sealed the deal for me was that upon our arrival in the villa, each vanity had “FOR HIM” products!!! Although just a small detail, this really meant a lot to me and my boyfriend.

We spent much of our time in the Spa, since we had booked 2 days unlimited treatments. The spa here is nothing short of beautiful. Excellent modern design yet with a very Balinese feel to it. It was all dimly lit which added to the relaxation. And our massage therapists...Amazing! Mine was Santi, loved her! Super strong and very skilled. She gave the best Thai massage I’ve ever had. The restaurant is one of the best hotel restaurants I’ve ever eaten at. Seriously, every meal I had there was beyond delicious. The tempeh manis...OMG to die for! Must try. So is their cendol dessert, very different than what I was used to. Also, I loved it because I am a guy who loves spicy food and find that many places in Asia “tone it down” for foreigners, but they didn’t seem to do it here, much to my delight! Besides the food, I also enjoyed chatting with all the staff. Everyone, again, is sooooo friendly.

Now to address the location, which seems to be the largest complaint. Yes the hotel is situated quite far from the hustle and bustle of Kuta & Seminyak, and an hour plus from the airport, but this is why we chose it. It all depends on what kind of holiday you want. For us, the location was fine. We enjoyed it. Plus it was our first time on a black sand beach! As for that beach though, as beautiful as it was, we did notice there is a considerable amount of trash. I know this is not under the control of the hotel but it would be wise of them to hire staff to periodically clean it. Not only does it make the guests experience better but also benefits the environment. Also, my only disappointment was that this beautiful beach was unswimmable. Immediately upon our arrival we were advised against swimming because of dangerous surf and riptides. Big disappointment!

This hotel truly won was over. Great design, incredible staff and true luxury. From the 5-star restaurants to the perfectly furnished villas and even our thoughtfully stocked vehicle for our roadtrips (which came with multiple cold towels, snacks, beverages, etc...) it seems that everything at Alila is thoughtfully prepared for you, as an individual. That excellent individual treatment coupled with the amazing staff made our stay at Alila my most memorable holiday ever.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jlessner

Reviewed 6 November 2010

If you're looking for night life and shopping, this is definitely not the place. However, I can't think of a better spot for a get-away-from-it-all vacation. We enjoyed the perfect view of the black sand beach and surf (not suitable for swimming) from our shaded bale and private pool. The staff was gracious and eager to accommodate every request. The spa (loved the cold ginger and lemon tea) offers a full suite of services in a relaxed, well equipped setting. Breakfast offerings were superb, and the private dinner on the beach is worth the splurge as the chef personalized the menu to our taste and personally introduced each course. At night, the Apple Tv, music and wireless internet provided all the entertainment we needed for a quiet vacation.

While definitely remote, one of the best things about this location is that it is surrounded by Balinese villages that are far removed from the tourist centers. Riding a bicycle through these villages as the households started their day, walking through the morning market and seeing the work in the rice fields were unforgettable slices of every day life. And at the end of the hot ride, we had the cool luxury of our villa waiting for us - perfect!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Texas58

Reviewed 1 November 2010

This was such a stunning venue and removed from all the chaos that you can find in Bali! We loved our room.. and the breakfast was amazing!! The STAFF was great and it felt like saying good buy to family the day we left.... Note that this is far from all the action in Bali ... but if you are looking to relax in absolute stunning environment - this is it! Also check out the other Alila Uluwatu.. we are HUGE fans!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 October 2010

Alila Villas Soori was my first stop after traveling for 30+ hours from New York, and it was exactly what I'd imagined for my first stop in Bali: An ocean-front, gorgeous place to relax and recover from jet-lag before beginning the rest of a Bali adventure.

This hotel is the only hotel in Kelating Beach, a secluded black-sand beach about an hour's drive north of Seminyak. This hotel is utterly gorgeous -- clean lines, perfect details...it's amazing how much care went into designing the place.

During our stay, the staff were perfect hosts, ensuring that all of our needs were met, from helping to book a horseback excursion (where a hotel staffer wrapped up with a walk up a cliff to a seaside temple), to helping us book other hotels.

My friend and I absolutely loved our stay here -- when I return to Bali, I look forward to returning for another stay at this property.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank amanda673
Management response:Responded 9 December 2016

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 5 October 2010

I had the wonderful chance to visit Alila Soori a few months ago, and I must say that the service there is absolutely amazing.

Having already stayed in Seminyak for 4 nights, me and my boyfriend made our way to Alila Soori for 4 more nights in Bali. At first, I was a bit drawn back as to how far the hotel was. It was literally almost 45 minutes drive from Seminyak ! ! ! It was literally in the middle of no where.

However, all my bad feelings disappeared the minute we arrived. The hotel is absolutely amazing. On top of that, I have to say that the service is THE BEST that I have every experienced in my life :
- Upon arrival, we were given face towels at the reception, and then walked right to our villa. There was no normal check in at front desk. We were walked by the duty manager to our villa, and upon arrival, our check in details were already laid out o the table in the villa. Even better, when we arrived, our luggage was already there waiting for us!
- The bathroom set is amazing. It contains not only the normal toothbrush set, razors and soap, it also contains custom "for him" and "for her" shampoo, sunblock, moisturizer, mosquito spray etc. To die for.
- At night, after dinner, we realized that there was a new leather tag placed onto our luggage. A small touch that goes a long way.

Having said that, Alila Soori is beautiful, but for us, it was a little dull. It is far away from the hustle and bustle of the Bali nightlife and restaurants. We are a fun couple who like to go out, and there was no where to go apart from stay in the resort, unless we wanted to travel 45 mins into Seminyak. When we were there, I guess there was only about 10 rooms occupied, which made the atmosphere even more dull.

I would definitely recommend this place to couples / groups who DO NOT want to go out at night to fancy restaurants or bars and clubs. Just because it is just too far away. If you just want to get away and relax, swith off your mobile phone and blackberry, then this is the perfect place for you.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dewiswastika
Management response:Responded 8 December 2016

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Alila Villas Uluwatu
W Bali - Seminyak
W Bali - Seminyak
#20 of 149 in Seminyak
The St. Regis Bali Resort

Been to Soori Bali? Share your experiences!