“Comfy but Pricey”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Tabanan
Bangkok
“Comfy but Pricey”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

What a premium place! I stayed there for several days for my writing column and love it in the way that it is so distant from the downtown so i got the see how the real Balinese lifestyle is. The not-so-good thing is the price, which seems a bit too high. Still, overall is nice, perfect for people who loves solitude.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your review!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2011

My partner and I stayed at Alila Soori in Bali in December 2010 and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to unwind in a very peaceful, private and beautiful location.

We stayed in an ocean front villa which was absolute luxury. We felt comfortable and started to relax as soon as we walked through the door and from then on spent most of our days in the private infinity pool and cabana, while watching the waves breaking on the beach below. (There were plenty of other smaller touches in the villa too; my partner enjoyed the convenience of the Nescafe coffee machine while I thought the resort’s range of his and her’s aromatherapy toiletries were a beautiful touch.)

Our days were very relaxing and disappeared too quickly. We enjoyed the tranquillity of walking along the (usually deserted) beach and ate far too much courtesy of the amazing menu put on by head chef, Ashton. On our last night he tailor made a five course degustation meal just for us, using all our favourite ingredients. It is this sort of attention which made our stay at Alila Soori so memorable and special.

Anyone interested in social responsibility will be pleased with the resorts’ approach to hiring. They have about 200 attentive staff and a high percentage of these are from the nearby village. The resort offers its staff extensive training to take them up the career ladder at the resort, or open doors to other opportunities. The flow on effect of this level of local employment is evident if you go for a walk or bike ride outside the resort (Actually the bike ride is highly recommended – and the locals will show you the paths through the rice fields which is a great way to see the birds).

Thanks to everyone at Alila Soori for a magical holiday.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I wouldn’t be overstating this was the best hotel experience of our lives.

The point of difference for this luxury resort is the location. It is remote in the sense there are no other restaurants, no night life and no westerners in sight once you step outside the resort. And that for us was a BIG plus. But no so remote you are disconnected from the country you have come to experience; situated adjacent a beautiful and traditional Balinese village set amongst rice paddies overlooking the ocean.

We were collected from our 5 star Seminak hotel (which felt little better than a backpackers once we returned!) and transported a scenic 45 minute drive from the throbbing Seminyak/Kuta hustle and bustle into the serenity of Alilia Soori.

The guests are a mix of nationalities. Though you will hardly see anyone with most guests choosing to stay in their villas overlooking a stunning black sand beach (or rice paddies) and order room service on their private deck. I must admit it was hard to draw us away from our private infinity pool but we did venture down to the restaurant for most meals.

The food for us was the real highlight. Executive Chef, Ashton Hall (USA), is right up there with the worlds very best. Amazingly on one occasion we were the only guests in the restaurant and he cooked us a five course degustation dinner to our preference. Absolutely world class (ask for his cold cucumber soup with passionfruit sorbet).

We also had the good fortune to meet General Manager Marco Groten. He organised a massage and spa treatment for us that has set the benchmark for all future massage experiences (indeed one couple we met mentioned they were having up to three sessions per day!), he also suggested we take a bike ride through the local villages and arranged our mountain bikes.

The ride through the village was great. We felt like minor celebrities as we rode through this untouristed area; children came running out of the houses to say hello and wave. One wizened old local, immaculately dressed in his traditional Hindu clothes, made an effort to talk to us while we drank some roadside drinks and gave us directions through a very special rice paddy trail out toward the ocean. A real highlight!

Congratulations to Marco and all the Soori team for delivery such an outstanding guest experience. A real life experience we will never forget.

Highly recommended. Two thumbs up .... way up.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SeanBlocksidge
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2010

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Alila Villa Soori for 1 week. The location of the hotel is stunning with easy access to a tranquil black beach and the warm Indian Ocean. There are many cultural sites close by and as you would expect from a 5 star hotel, the hotel can easily organise transport/guides.

The service at the hotel is very good with a private Villa host attending to your requirements. The facilities are ample with a decent gym,large Spa and even Segway's creating a real juxtaposition between modern technology and old world Balinese heritage.

The restaurant is very nice and the chef has some high quality signature dishes.

Overall we found our visit very enjoyable and relaxing.

If I was being very critical I would say that the Villa furnishings were starting to look a little dated and the quality of finish wasn't super high end quality which I have seen at other 5 star resorts. Having said that you wouldn't notice unless that is something you look at which most people wouldn't.

The staff are wonderful and very friendly. The service was very good but perhaps lacked a little high end sophistication at times which was clearly being addressed. The friendliness and passion of the staff more than compensated for this. Irra and Eddy stood out for their levels of service but all of the staff couldn't have been more welcoming.

In summary Alila Villa Soori is a beautiful hotel in a relaxing setting. You will not be disappointed. I would recommend Villa number 201 which we stayed in and has good views of the sun set and is close to the main pool and restaurants. I would say the most beautiful Villa is the 5 bedroom villa.

I still class The Datai in Langkawi as the best Hotel I have ever stayed in but Alila Soori is in the top 5.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Just came back from AVS. Bottom line: If u are thinking about this resort, JUST GO!
Some things have been repeated ad nauseum, but should still be emphasised: There is nothing within 20 minutes of this resort. So if u are a couple thinking of trying a different restaurant everyday, this is not the resort for u. Think Oberoi at Seminyak with those uber-cool restaurants instead.
Another negative point: Beach not really for swimming. Black sand is really powdery and nice tho.
Plus, plus points: SERVICE! The level of anticipation is really amazing. Little touches like the child car seats in the car that was sent to pick us up, Board games in the room for the kids before we arrived etc. Plus our villa host Mini was really great. Non intrusive and yet was there all the time when we needed her. Staff like Susie at the restaurant spontaneously entertaining my kids while my wife and I could spend some private moments at dinner. The warm family atmosphere where everybody addresses u by name is something to be remembered.
The spa is also memorable, comparable with the best we had in Maldives and thailand.
As mentioned, they really do have great high quality toiletries with bottled water everywhere in the room. Makes one feel they are not trying to fleece us at every single opportunity (think Waldorf Astoria with the USD 10 bottled water despite the hefty room rates)
While I agree not all the furnishings are top notch (the TOTO water cisterns creak a little, the wooden panels slightly faded at some areas), it is the human touch that separates this resort from the others.
All in, kudos to the management team for a great resort. we will definitely be back. Nuff said.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Singapore
Reviewed 21 November 2010

As the driver took us along the narrow roads to Tabanan, we passed beautiful golden padi fields. The journey seems endless though, taking 1 hour from the airport. We kept wondering .. are we there yet?

When we finally arriived, it was almost sunset. The fantastic view hits you from the lobby.. where the monstrous waves continuously crash onto the black-sand beach.
The nightly ritual of resident bats leaving their nearby cave is just awesome!

Dinner at the Restaurant Cotta specially catered to our request for nasi padang that night. The variety and taste totally exceeded our expectations. During another dinner there, we requested for a dish which was not on the menu and Chefs Ashton & Made did not disappoint. Kudos!

The Ocean Pool Villa was cozy, practical yet elegant and trendy. Not your usual run-of -the-mill toiletries here. They provide you with separate His and Hers as well as extras like aromatheraphy-based facial moisturiser and the all-important mozzie repellant.
We spent a lot of time admiring the view of the beach and beautifully manicured grounds from our villa. The waves that could reach up to 6 feet high were simply an amazing sight.

Having a personal Villa Host was a very unique experience. Although different hosts take turns, their attentiveness and service never disappointed.
Attention to detail is one factor that really amazed us here at Alila Soori. Not only was the reading selection wide and current, reading glasses were also provided in reading room. Imagine the thoughtfulness!

The in-house spa is as beautiful and calming as the therapists who were able to knead our knots and worries away. Our only regret was when the massage had to end..

Alila Villas Soori is truly a breath-taking and amazingly comfortable place to spend quality time with loved ones. Hubby and I would love to return one day..

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Just returned from a short but blissful stay at Alila. Would love to try and keep this review short and sweet but to truly do this hotel and its staff justice, I really have to explain. For those of you with short attention spans, I hope my title summed it up well.

This hotel was by far the greatest hotel experience I've ever had. I have travelled quite extensively throughout Asia and Europe, from $5/night huts to similar 5-Star properties and none have ever matched Alila Soori.

I’ll start with what many on here have already stated. The staff at this property are a rare breed. These are some of the nicest, most sincere and friendly people I’ve met. They’re truly responsible for making my stay so memorable. Adi, Novita, Santi, Ketut, Nada, just to name a few, are some of the people that I owe my fantastic holiday to. Marco, the General Manager, must have a great eye for hiring excellent staff because everyone from the spa to the housekeepers, front desk staff, restaurant staff and even the security are all amazing! Each and everyone of them guaranteed that we were treated like familiar friends. Although simple, being greeted and called by your first name by nearly everyone goes along way towards making you feel at home.

Beyond the people, Alila also has excellent villas and the property itself is beautiful. I loved the contemporary design, which is featured throughout the property. But it isn’t cold, minimalist style. Lots of wood and texture and tons of beautiful plants and flowers. Our Oceanview Villa was perfect; large infinity pool, sundeck, lounger and direct access to the black sand beach. Inside was even better. I absolutely loved the bed and linens! The room also had a giant soaking tub, two showers (one outdoors), double vanities, double closets, 2 TVs, iPod speakers, and my favourite, the Apple TV. It came stocked with a huge number of pretty damn good films, TV shows and excellent music, although they could stand to add a few more Madonna songs... The villa also comes fully stocked with what has to be the best hotel amenitity kit I’ve ever seen. I mean they’ve got it all! Sunscreen, moisturizer, lotion, hand soap, shower gel, shaving kit, bubble bath, lip balm, insect repellent, everything! And even better is that it’s ALL top quality, amazing! Another detail that sealed the deal for me was that upon our arrival in the villa, each vanity had “FOR HIM” products!!! Although just a small detail, this really meant a lot to me and my boyfriend.

We spent much of our time in the Spa, since we had booked 2 days unlimited treatments. The spa here is nothing short of beautiful. Excellent modern design yet with a very Balinese feel to it. It was all dimly lit which added to the relaxation. And our massage therapists...Amazing! Mine was Santi, loved her! Super strong and very skilled. She gave the best Thai massage I’ve ever had. The restaurant is one of the best hotel restaurants I’ve ever eaten at. Seriously, every meal I had there was beyond delicious. The tempeh manis...OMG to die for! Must try. So is their cendol dessert, very different than what I was used to. Also, I loved it because I am a guy who loves spicy food and find that many places in Asia “tone it down” for foreigners, but they didn’t seem to do it here, much to my delight! Besides the food, I also enjoyed chatting with all the staff. Everyone, again, is sooooo friendly.

Now to address the location, which seems to be the largest complaint. Yes the hotel is situated quite far from the hustle and bustle of Kuta & Seminyak, and an hour plus from the airport, but this is why we chose it. It all depends on what kind of holiday you want. For us, the location was fine. We enjoyed it. Plus it was our first time on a black sand beach! As for that beach though, as beautiful as it was, we did notice there is a considerable amount of trash. I know this is not under the control of the hotel but it would be wise of them to hire staff to periodically clean it. Not only does it make the guests experience better but also benefits the environment. Also, my only disappointment was that this beautiful beach was unswimmable. Immediately upon our arrival we were advised against swimming because of dangerous surf and riptides. Big disappointment!

This hotel truly won was over. Great design, incredible staff and true luxury. From the 5-star restaurants to the perfectly furnished villas and even our thoughtfully stocked vehicle for our roadtrips (which came with multiple cold towels, snacks, beverages, etc...) it seems that everything at Alila is thoughtfully prepared for you, as an individual. That excellent individual treatment coupled with the amazing staff made our stay at Alila my most memorable holiday ever.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jlessner
Thank you for your review!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
W Bali - Seminyak
#22 of 145 in Seminyak
Viceroy Bali
Viceroy Bali
#7 of 198 in Ubud

Been to Soori Bali? Share your experiences!