“Wonderful get away”

Bali Eco Stay Bungalows
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights and absolutely loved it. What a wonderful getaway....we spent our days hiking, doing yoga, and just relaxing. It was really a perfect spot to just get away from it all. We found the food to be amazing...and so healthy! We also took part in some of the activities offered:
-- took massages, which were great
-- did the four hour hike with a trained guide. It was a really nice hike, just strenuous enough, and we learned so much
-- learned to make Bali flutes with "grandpa"
-- learned to make Hindu offerings

Everything was just really fun and interesting. The setting itself is beautiful, as well. We stayed in Buddha cabin for two nights then moved to Little Padi ( Buddha had already been booked). Both were nice but we preferred the openness of Buddha.

We would defiantly return.

Room Tip: If the noise of stream bothers you, avoid Buddha. We like the noise, even at night, and loved the op...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I'll just get straight to the point here. First the good:
- The food is outstanding, even if it is a little pricey by Indonesian standards. The atmosphere in the restaurant was great - amazing views all the way down to the ocean. They also cook with healthy ingredients, so it's worth the extra cost for sure.
- The staff is fantastic, especially in the kitchen. One lady (her names escapes me now), whose smile was so big I can still picture it, even stopped to help us find the right path on a walk while she was on her way home.
- The grounds are gorgeous, and the walks around were so much fun, from rice terraces to waterfalls - what more could you ask for?!
- You are in a little village, so interacting with the local community is a great experience.

The bad:
- The main reason I gave 4 stars: There was maintenance going on right next to our room on some of the little ponds. This wouldn't be so bad in a normal hotel, but here there are no doors or windows. The majority of the day there were people right outside of our room hammering away in what is supposed to be a peaceful oasis. There was also some hammering near the spa room, which kind of ruined most of the amazing (and expensive) massages we were getting. I realize these things need to happen, but it would have been nice to know in advance, or to have at least an acknowledgement that it wasn't ideal.
- I know this is obvious, and it's no fault of the hotel, but you can't turn off the stream (we stayed in the Buddha room). During the day it was peaceful, but at night it was so loud that it was difficult to sleep (it sounds like a torrential downpour). It also made the bed damp and sticky.
- It's a little pricey and out of the way, although they are very upfront about both their prices and location. I don't think either should deter you from giving this place a shot.

I teetered between a 3 and 4 star, and ultimately decided to go with a 4 because it is a really gorgeous retreat with an amazing staff. I just wish I would have known there would be construction. No one mentioned it, or apologized for it. No one ever introduced themselves as the owner or manager, and we wouldn't have felt right complaining to the sweet and helpful staff. All in all, I'm still glad we stayed here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lutz822
sunstone55, Owner at Bali Eco Stay Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review.

My apologies for not catching up during your stay but i managed to snap my achilles tendon and have been out of action while it repairs.

We are so glad you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us and sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused by our fish pond repairs.

The wild eels had made holes through the fish pond walls tying to get at our fish so we needed to make the walls more secure.

Our permanent staff have just informed me that early on with the repair some of the outside casual workers did walk in front of your bungalow but as soon as it was noticed ,were asked to stop and go around the back of your bungalow. We are so sorry about this!

If we had known that this procedure was interfering with your stay we would have stopped immediately.

Pak Agung is in the office from 8.30am to 5pm and Mini is in the kitchen from noon until 9.30pm. As mentioned on our in house manual ,please contact them if you have any problems or concerns.

We charge $15 per hour for massages from fully trained therapists which we feel is a quite reasonable charge.

Please contact me on my personal email at johnnycath@mac.com so this problem can be completely resolved.

Happy travels and all the best,

John.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I just came home from a yoga retreat in Bali and part of the time stayed at Bali Eco Stay. I experienced a sense of peace and tranquility at the Little Pad. The food was fabulous. Mini and her staff prepared us delicious meals all fresh and tasty.

The massages oh the massages, if you can try them all you will not be sorry. I treated myself to three massages here and the ladies were just great. Just make sure you rinse good afterwards otherwise the ants like to visit.

My overall experience was great and even though we were a bit rambunctious we felt loved.

Room Tip: The Little Pad enjoyed the sound of running water. Bathroom was outside the bungalow, however, spaci...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was also at the yoga retreat... I agree that the yoga /meditation was amazing .... But then my review differs...the bungalows we stayed in were fabulous ...Balinese style with mosquito nets .. but we didn't have the opportunity to use the net as we didn't see mosquitoes..& if there's a mosquito within 10 klms they find me!!! ... Our bathroom was gr8 & we felt like we were showering in the rain forrest. So then there's the food which is fresh clean & sumptuous & served by happy Balinese staff ...so if you're looking for a Balinese experience stay at Bali Eco Retreat... If you're looking for a Sheraton or Hilton experience try Semanyak!!! In my opinion the whole experience was ge8 value for money

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank FayeHochstadt
Reviewed 21 May 2014

If you are looking for a place to recharge your batteries, do some soul searching and relax away from the madding crowds of Kuta, this is the place for you. The food is great, much of it from the resort's own gardens, the kitchen spotlessly clean and the staff friendly and efficient. The rooms are rustic and are open to the incredibly beautiful surroundings, so if you don't like getting close to nature it probably isn't for you. Having said that, the resort supplies natural insect repellant, citronella candles, incense and mosquito nets all free of charge. But because of the continuously moving water in the picturesque, terraced rice padis, and spectacular waterfall on the property, along with the abundance of beautiful birds and frogs, there are very few mosquitoes to deal with. I loved my time at Bali Eco stay (BES): there were plenty of activities available (wood carving, canang making and so much more) and beautiful walks to do, but equally I could relax in the lounge with one of the many good books available in the library or just take in the ever-changing amazing views from my room or any part of the resort. Try a massage in the open air pavilion overlooking the jungle. You will really relax. BES is good for the soul!! Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Janne13
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was attending a yoga retreat a couple of weeks ago and found Bali Eco Stay to be the most perfect piece of paradise on earth. We stayed in bungalows with running water and rice fields all around and I was amazed that there were no mosquitos at night ,especially as we did not use the nets provided at all. Tiny insect eating bats can eat up to 1000 mossies a night as well as frogs who do their best to gobble up the larvae of those pesky little bugs.The rooms have natural repellant and neem insence sticks for use but we needed neither .The rooms were authentic ,clean and very comfortable, and the staff extremely accommodating to every whim and fancy. To be living only for a week in that rainforest/rice field environment ,so natural and in balance was an inspiration and a priviledge. The food we ate was superb ,the peaceful ambience healing. John and Cath (the co- owners) alongside Agung and Mini ,have a rare gift to share with the world ,so go see for yourself ,you will love it. I have been home for a week and come only dream of bali eco stay now until I return again. Shelley

Room Tip: Inspected all the rooms and each had its own original touches in design and décor, as well as uniqu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was recently here for a yoga retreat. The yoga was great but the venue was not quite the standard I expected for the price we paid. Make sure you bring your insect repellent, there are Mosquitos everywhere and the rooms are not screened so there is no escaping them. With Dengue fever a very real concern in Bali the rooms should be screened.

• Stayed: May 2014
sunstone55, Owner at Bali Eco Stay Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

We are so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Unfortunately we cannot satisfy the entire accommodation market. Our aim is to provide an opportunity for our guests to comfortably connect with nature. Screening our open rooms would deprive guests of this opportunity.

We should point out that you are the first guest since we opened 3.5 years ago to have a problem with mosquito's at Bali Eco Stay.

On our five acre property much energy is put into locating and preventing potential mosquito habitat, however it is very difficult to also do this on our neighboring land. An extended wet season has provided mosquito's with increased survival opportunities (we do not live in an insecticidally controlled environment like Noosaville).

When one encounters such conditions, we recommend you utilize the provided Neem incense sticks, citronella candles and personal insect repellent provided in all bungalows.

The most sensible thing is to cover up with light clothing; in the evenings of course all sleeping areas have natural cotton mosquito nets.

We are so glad that you enjoyed your yoga experience at Bali Eco Stay, we certainly enjoyed hosting your wonderful group, you were a lot of fun.

Warm Regards,

John.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Soori Bali
#1 of 13 in Tabanan
Sarinbuana Eco Lodge
Sarinbuana Eco Lodge
#3 of 57 in Tabanan

Been to Bali Eco Stay Bungalows? Share your experiences!