“Great Balinese family”

Ranked #1 of 23 Tabanan B&B and Inns
Moraga, California
“Great Balinese family”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in May with Made, wife Ayu, Oka (18 yr old), Niki (13 yr old), and Niti (7 yr old) for three nights. Made picked us up from the airport and we stopped right away at a Money Exchange business to get some rupiah. The stand-alone unit that we stayed at consists of two bedrooms divided by a panel (does not go all the way to the top since the ceiling is very very high) and a bathroom shared by the two rooms. There was nobody staying in the other bedroom, so there was no problem with noise. The unit is very comfortable and the shower had plenty of hot water. A delicious breakfast was prepared by Ayu each morning and she will also prepare lunch and dinner upon request at a very reasonable cost. Ayu let me watch her cook (unless you have a car there is nowhere else to go eat) and prepared nice hearty meals for us. Made and older daughter Oka speak English very well and they are most helpful.

On the second day Made drove us to visit Tanah Lot Temple (temple by the water), Jati Luwih (rice paddy terraces), and we should have asked to be taken to Pura Luhur Batukaru Temple since it is very close to Jati Luwih (you should definitely go there). On this day while on the road we stopped to see an actual cremation, we went into the compound where a wedding was being celebrated, and we observed a procession on the street in remembrance of a deceased relative.

On the third day we decided to stay in the family compound and take walks in the village and see how the Balinese live. First we heard a big gong at 6 am (Sunday morning) to alert all the village men to come out and clean the walkways in front of their homes; then Oka took us to the morning market in a nearby town; afterwards we relaxed and observed the family and met some of their relatives. It was cute to watch Niti that evening ironing her school uniform for the next day.

It was a great experience to be able to observe a Balinese family in their day-to-day routine. This family was most hospitable and we felt lucky to be able to spend time with a Balinese family.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This was an extraordinary place to stay. The owners, Made, Ayu and their three daughters, made me feel like a part of the family. They are a busy, interesting family with many activities, and staying with them gives the opportunity to experience Balinese culture up close. Made picked me up at another part of the island as I was starting the solo part of my trip, and from the start I could feel the personal care and warmth they would extend toward me the entire time. It was the most memorable part of my trip to Bali from my hometown of Denver, Colorado, USA.

The room was comfortable and the meals great. I really enjoyed the peaceful setting of the family compound. The 2 rooms of the homestay are simple and pleasant, and have a beautiful Balinese style thatched roof/ceiling. The room was cooled by a floor fan, which you can also take to the porch in front. The porch is very spacious and has a table and chairs, refrigerator and a large Indonesian couch. The Balinese style bathroom attached to the rooms is comfortable, with everything functioning properly, including plenty of hot water. The bathroom is walled-in and gives complete privacy, yet offers a rare opportunity to see flowering trees or stars overhead. The family compound is typical for Bali and includes a beautiful large outdoor temple, various small buildings and roofed platforms, and lots of plants and trees.

The meals made by Ayu were delicious and healthy. Everything was served fresh and hot, with the food and water safe for tourists. The meal times and the food served are flexible - you just need to let them know your preferences. The breakfast is included, and you can also add lunch and dinner for a very reasonable price. You can also ask for water, tea and snacks anytime.

Communication was easy as Made is fluent in English and the other family members speak with varying levels of proficiency. In general if you wished to, you could be on your own; or if you wanted to interact with the family and be involved, they found a way to include you.

The couple's three daughters, 18, 13 and 7-years old, are smart, energetic and outgoing and I had fun interacting with each of them. They showed me the way to the nearby river, to the rice fields, and took me by their uncle's house. At the rice fields I observed their grandfather work with seedlings, and I also tried my hand at it, and of course it was a lot harder than it looked. I had captivating conversations with the oldest daughter late into the night, which helped me glimpse the Balinese culture from a young person's perspective.

I met the extended family as well: Made's father - a dignified and hard-working man, and Made's brother and his family, all of whom were very friendly and caring. I also met several friends who stopped by the house at different times. I had an opportunity to attend two impressive whole-village ceremonies at the local temple. The family loaned me the traditional dress and helped me put it on properly.

The homestay is in a genuine village that is not touristy at all, and is a good point from which to take trips to some of the island's attractions. Made gave me rides by either car or motorbike to Echo Beach (15 min), to Ubud (40 min), and to the neighboring village for the Ogoh-ogoh parade on the eve of Nyepi. The rides were reasonably priced. On the one occasion when Made was not available, they arranged for a metered taxi, let me know the approximate charge and talked to the driver to avoid any misunderstandings.

This was an outstanding homestay experience and offered amazing care as well as rich exposure to Balinese lifestyle, and it was quite different from staying in a hotel. This kind of experience is unique and hard to find, but might not be of interest to everyone. Staying with a family creates special circumstances and you have to be ready to take things in stride when something doesn't go according to plan. My expectations were flexible and I had a wonderful and fulfilling time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank NorthSea303
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Expect a humble and genuine Balinese hospitality in this homestay. The dinner and breakfast are delicious with generous portion. Nicely tucked away in a small village, this homestay can be ideal if you are looking for some quiet time away from popular choices like Ubud.A walk in rice field is stone's throw away and if you simply wish to explore the village, there's that option too. If you find shared open air bathroom daunting then you may choose to stay at the villa. However, if you are the only guest/s at one time then the bathroom is all yours like it was for me for a one whole week.

Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed April 2014
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Made Rai gives you an option for your accommodation in this secluded area of Bali:basic familyroom sharing bathroom,in the area where the family lives, or a classy double with bathroom ensuite in a villa a 100 yards from there.
Delicious breakfasts and dinners are cooked by the ever smiling Aju. At weekends their three beautiful clever girls (18, 13, and 7 years old) will talk to you in una very good English, and maybe will play bambou percussion instrument while you are eating on the verandah. Made can also organize daily tours to most attractions nearby at very reasonable costs.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms in the main bungalow have a slim bambou partition, and so are mainly used as a double f...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My friend and I stayed for three nights in Desa Cepaka Homestay and we enjoyed every moment of it! From the moment we contacted Made Rai, our travel arrangements were all easily set out - visit the best Balinese temples, rice terraces and the Gunung Batur lake. Made Rai ensured we went to the best places to eat, shop and sightsee.

But what really made the stay special is the instant connection we shared with Made Rai, his wife Ayu and his three lovely daughters. We felt we were with our own families and we were really taken care of.

I recommend Desa Cepaka Homestay to all types of travelers: young, old, men, women, couples, groups or solo travelers, children – this is your family in Bali! You can never go wrong staying with them. It is the best choice.

我和朋友在Desa Cepaka Homestay呆了三天,享受此刻美好时光。从我们联系了Made Rai,我们旅游计划都安排得又快又好-参观巴厘的寺庙,水稻梯田和Batur火山的湖泊。Made Rai确保我们去吃饭,购买和参观的地方都是非常好的。

不过,我们住宿经验最难忘的事情是我们和Made Rai,他妻子Ayu与他三个女儿的立即的相通。和他们在一起,感觉跟自己的家庭一样,他们很照顾我们。

我建议给所有类型的旅客:年轻人,老年人,男人,女人,夫妇,团体或单独旅行者,儿童在Desa Cepaka Homestay住宿! 这是在巴厘岛你的家!来这里住你不能出错,真的是最好的选择。

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this homestay and it was one of our highlights during our round trip through Bali and Lombok. Desa Cepaka is a quite and clean village close to Denpasar. If you are interested in local traditions and daily family life this is the right place to stay. Ayu, Made and their children are lovely and helpful hosts and we really enjoyed to stay with them. We did a few individual roundtrips with Made to different sightseeing spots and we have to mention that Made is the most careful asian driver we ever met. My wife was taught in traditional balinese music and our daughter loved to play with the dogs in the garden. If you want to it is very to easy to become a part of their family. Thanks a lot for this experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank boris270468
California
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This home, and the family who lives in it, has bettered our lives! This is not just another charming place to stay on Bali....this is an experience, a friendship and a place to feel at home while away! Made (husband) and Ayu (wife) welcome you in to one or both of their 2 rooms available for stay. All on the family compound, of course complete with the family temple. Made's family has lived on that compound for multiple generations.

Made and Ayu have 3 girls, who welcome and offer friendship. The family eats together in a small bale, an open-air platform space, which has been the family hub for generations. One can either eat with them, or alone, if you like. Ayu is an incredible cook, and all Bali fare is available. Breakfast included in price, and other meals are a small fee per person.

The 2 rooms are simple, and very comfortable, and in their own little building on the compound. The sound of roosters and neighborhood dogs gives one a sense of what it's like to live in a Balinese village. Simple bathroom with shower is attached. The beautiful and peaceful family compounds in the village are just adjacent to perfect rice fields, which one can walk for a long time. A lovely little temple for the rice fields is very nearby.

Made will arrange for anything you want to do when you are there. Closest beaches are a 10 min drive away. Tanah Lot is about 15 min away. Ubud, about 40. Made can pick you up at airport or any hotel, or arrange for that.

But, the highlight of all is to have the honor of getting to know this wonderful and happy family. The girls are so fun to play with, and my two children have bonded deeply with them. They are welcoming, charming, have wonderful stories, and will give you a real sense of timeless Balinese life. Part of the stay includes a lesson or two on the rindik -- the bamboo gamelan-type instrument, a lesson on folding banana leaves for offerings in the temple, a lesson on Balinese dance, and many stories on whatever you'd like to know about Balinese life!

My kids and I are so grateful we came upon this family and place to stay. We will always return to here, as we are able. A must go!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family