“European perfection in tropical Bali style.”
Review of Villa Helen Balian

Villa Helen Balian
Clapham, United Kingdom
“European perfection in tropical Bali style.”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

With limited places to stay in Balian we relied on Booking.com to find somewhere, and although the name didn't immediately grab us, something did and we went and checked it out. Wow-what an impressive entrance and the security guard on the gate gave an impressive smile and a Balinese welcome, the further we ventured into the establishment the more impressed I became, the rooms were tasteful, the infinity pool and jacuzzi perched on the cliff set an amazing ambience. The Swedish owner and his wife could not of been more hospitable. Organising us massages and recommending dinner options. The place feels brand new and the gardens are immaculate. For some solitude and great waves with luxury accommodation and friendly staff - Villa Helen is the place to be. Highly recommended. Confused slightly by the review below, and glad that I realised that the reviewer was obviously having a bad day, and took the chance by checking it out ourselves.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Such a pity....great location overlooking The Indian Ocean. When we arrived to meet our friends at Villa Helen we were not greeted at all. We were told nothing about the property, the rooms, the breakfast, the village etc etc. There was works going, we we're told they would be finished the following day (Tuesday), when leaving on Friday morning they power tools were still in full swing. No apologies from the blond Swedish guy (who l'm guessing is the owner, but l have no idea as he never introduced himself). Sent his lovely Balinese wife to give us a bottle if wine to apologize for the inconvenience...we paid more than $160 a night. Impossible to relax as works constantly going on. Really made us felt like we were imposing on their space. We will never return whilst that Swedish boy with his appropriately named 'white trash' t-shirt is there. Learn from your wife and your other workers what the word 'hospitality' means!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank David W
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

After my long drive back from Java on the scooter, JUST what I needed. Sensational. So relaxing and what a view!! Rooms where perfect and the owner and family is just lovely. What an amazing place it's a shame nothing in the are can keep me there longer, just in transit. Love love love it!!

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Hands down the best property in balian. The owner and staff make you feel like you're visiting friends.
Clear view of the surf break, and an easy walk or scooter ride to the waves.
We felt completely safe and secure in the gated property. Day and night.

Frogs come out at dusk to entertain. No noise though. ;)

This was a perfect place to honeymoon. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014
Haarlem, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

David S has described Villa Helen exactly as we experienced it. A beautiful oasis, safe, clean, quiet, friendly, restaurants nearby (Tom's Garden around the corner is great!). Spacious rooms with aircon, large bathroom (rainshower with hot water), tv, minibar. Pool and gazebo with a spectaculair view at the ocean. We spent an amazing week here and would love to come back.

Stayed April 2014
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My fiancee and I stumbled across this gem of a villa rather by accident, and simply couldn't be happier that we did. My only fear is that I'm not a good enough writer to do this place justice.

Magnus, the owner and host, was heroic in his efforts to make us comfortable--Cooking the best breakfasts in Balian Beach, providing umbrellas when the forecast called for a bit of rain and even leaving a stack of movie DVDs outside of our room. When I stupidly left my ATM card in the machine on the main road, he took it upon himself to drive me there and help me get it back. With Magnus as your host, you truly have a friend in Balian Beach.

The Villa itself is breathtaking-- likely the most beautiful home in the area. The bedrooms offer a perfect amount of privacy and stunning views. The cliffside infinity pool overlooking the ocean was, well, a cliffside infinity pool overlooking the ocean--what more can I say?

The location of the Villa is outstanding. It is close enough to the beach that I enjoyed the short walk surf twice a day, but isolated enough that we were removed from the slightly "surf-camp" feel of the main beach. There are some great restaurants very near by (we loved Tom's Garden Cafe--there was a sweet and sour fish dish that I will spend the rest of my days trying to recreate).

Addressing the issue of theft mentioned in a prior review; I find the allegation rather stunning. I left a brand new board at a unsecured, unguarded rack at the hotel by the beach for two nights and it was fine. There are dozens of unsecured boards literally everywhere in the area and theft seems to be unheard of. If the boards were truly stolen as the commenter writes, I can only surmise one of two things: 1. The guest had the worst luck ever and some scum, traveling thief targeted him at random or 2. He did something to someone and it was personal. In any event, I would be wholly comfortable leaving all of my possessions in plain sight on Magnus' property. If you have any concerns about your safety or the security of the Villa, don't. It's safe.

In summation, if you're going to Balian Beach, do yourself a favor and visit Magnus and his lovely family. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: The bedroom closest to the pool has an extraordinary view.