“Beautiful, peaceful, friendly”

Sarinbuana Eco Lodge
Adelaide
“Beautiful, peaceful, friendly”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

This is a lovely oasis, high up on the slopes of Mt Batukaru. We had the resort to ourselves for four nights and stayed in the Rumah Manis Bungalow. We walked into the rainforest and out to Muncaksari Temple on day one and relaxed on days two and three! First, I must mention the staff who were lovely, friendly and helpful but left us on our own when we needed solitude - thankyou! Next, the food! All meals prepared fresh in the kitchen and a wonderful variety is available - we even cooked our own dinner one night - ikan pepes (thank you Ilu). Our walk guides were informative and careful to go at our pace, we had lots of time to observe the flora, birds and the temple. At the resort our room was wonderful and in spite of the occasional "bug" we enjoyed the lack of screens on the windows and the breezes blowing through; sitting on the verandah, enjoying the exceptional view out over the forest to the sea and listening to the pounding of the rain was very soothing... We also enjoyed the chance to learn a little Indonesian and have a massage or two. All in all - this experience at Sarinbuana was exactly what we came to Bali for! Well done Linda and crew...

Room Tip: Rumah Manis is the furthest from the main resort and down a lot of steps. If mobility is a problem...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Indonesian first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 January 2013

My partner and I were very lucky to have stayed at the eco lodge, but even luckier to have met Linda and Norm, the brilliant owners. They both greatly inspired us with their passion for eco-friendly practices/ sustainability.They are both very active in their pursuits to ensure sustainable practices. They sincerely care about their local environment & community. It shows in the details of their lodge. They both have a wealth of knowledge and are practical about applying it to areas that need viable solutions. We stayed at two other "eco" retreats on Bali, neither of them came anywhere close to the amazing job that is done to there.

The lodge is a dream. Situated very high on a mountain, one will be able to see incredible views, breath clean air, and find comfort in the cool crisp air. The food is lovingly prepared with very fresh ingredients. The food was a big highlight for us, because it allowed us to enjoy Indonesian/Balinese cuisine with all pure ingredients, verses not knowing and the possibility of MSG or unhealthy oil, etc. Their organic gardens produce much of the ingredients they use which is also just fantastic, you really get an unparalleled freshness.

The staff is fantastic, they are relaxed, casual, and very assessable. I found many other times at other locations in Bali, that the Balinese workers at either a restaurant or other retreat would be timid, shy, almost a bit awkward towards Western people. However, this was not the case at all at Sarinbuana. They really make you feel comfortable and welcomed. Great staff.

The nearby trekking is amazing. I highly recommend it. The massage I received there was the best out of my 2 month stay in Bali.

I can't wait to visit again someday soon!! Really a wonderful wonderful place. Perfect for any couple, family, or a single travler who is interested in ecology, nature, sustainability,comfort, and great food.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 27 January 2013
Thanks so much Eve,
You are also very inspirational, please keep following your dream & vision, I cant say I have ever met anyone like you so far, so young and so committed...
All the best to you
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We stayed at the Jungle Bungalow and we absolutely loved our stay there. My husband and I wanted a quiet getaway and it was just what you need to recharge yourself in beautiful scenery. The food served is amazing - fresh off their organic farm. Must not miss the Chocolate Mousse - it is divine. The staff are very friendly and nice. We did a hike through the rice fields which was great as well. The massages were nice enough - not the best I have ever had - but good enough.

The drive from the airport is long but it is completely worth it. The view was breathtaking, the staff great...it actually made us consider moving to Bali...that is how lovely it was.

We look forward to getting a longer break and spending more time there. Do not get worried with it being too basic because it is called an eco-resort - the principles are there, but it is very comfortable and has wifi too!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thank you for all your very positive comments.

One point to mention as I see you have only rated our location at 4 points.

An Eco lodge is usually positioned near a natural feature, it was this location we chose to be near the unprotected rainforest of Batukaru.

Yes It is a bit of a bumby ride to get here, but that's what keeps mass tourism out (to our benefit) and only guests such as you, who are open to having a real experience in Bali- away from mass tourism choose our lodge.

xx Linda
Paradise Island, New Providence Island
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I came here to find a remote, peaceful and relaxing place.. Wanting to shed the stress, recharge the battery, do some contemplating and reflecting and in general just be very lazy. I had absolutely no problem doing that here!

I wasn't familiar with the whole eco thing and was afraid it might be a bit over the top for me.. But I was wrong.. It's just a business like any other, with the difference that they operate more consciously and have more goals besides that of growing their own wallet (like growing their own foods ;-)

I love how the owners Norm & Linda managed to put up a comfortable place that's in complete harmony with it's surroundings, in terms of nature, design, environment, people, etc..Having stayed at many places around Bali before, hoping to find that 'Bali paradise' thing that's being advertised, this is the first time I've had the feeling of a true little paradise!

I could spend hours on the veranda, overlooking the treetops.. feeling a fresh mountain breeze, seeing the busy south in a far distance and only being surrounded by a tropical garden & forest, hearing the sounds of beetles, the pair of gecko's below the terrace, the distinct sound of a tockay in the distance and all the other life surrounding me..

If you want some action, there's plenty of things they can arrange for you..From tours, jungle treks to all kinds of workshops. Also for the kids there's a lot of cool things to do.
I got to brush up my cooking skills and learned about the Balinese language and alphabet. Oh, and the massages were heavenly :)

And yes, you are surrounded by nature, so there's a lot of bugs too.. I've seen creatures I never knew existed and is was fascinating to see them move around.. The big spiders in my bathroom were shocking, but were actually more afraid of me then I was of them.. And as long as you keep your windows closed at night, you won't have any problems with flying things.. Any creepers that do bother you will be quickly relocated by the staff.. Because of the high location there's a lot less mosquito's here then in other places on Bali..

The food is awesome.. Among the best indonesian food I've ever had.. All fresh and local ingredients, which you can taste with every bite you take.

The staff is warm and friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay pleasant.

I stayed at Rumah Manis which has a great view and a perfect bed (i slept nearly 10 hours every night). The minibar is stocked with goodies and if you need a different place to lie down there's a great daybed inside the house.

This place is not for everybody.. If you fancy nusa dua resorts or expect a cold towel upon arrival and flowers on your bed, better go somewhere else. If you want to experience authentic Bali you should definitely give this place a try!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NLIvor
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Great review, much appreciated.

Tip for others; We and many guests sleep with windows open (when the weather permits). Its part of the experience to breathe in fresh air without AC or pollution. Its really quite special especially for our expat city guests, its often why they choose our lodge.
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 5 January 2013

The location is very beautiful, up at 800 on the mount Batukaru. The ecological and sustainable principles of the lodge are very well thouhgt throuhg and taken also well into nearby society, The co-workers of the lodge and the freelancers from the village were all very proud of their work and they felt very privilidged to be able to work for the Eco Lodge,
We had excellent massages there and the most interesting wood carving workshop. We did a guided tour to the nearby villages with a local guide, it was fascinating to come so close to the locals and learn about farming rice, coffee, cocoa, ..
The food is excellent, however - something happended in the middle of our stay and all the food turned to be very hot with chili. Perpaps the chef changed, or the the type of chili used. The food is ordered in advance and ingrediences come from the own garden, or nearby village - I felt it was very unique and fresh.
We were also able to watch a Balinese dance performance in the logde. The group was formed by girls from the local village and it was the most fascinating little performance.

Room Tip: For our family parents and three teens, the Tree house was perfect. Two bedrooms and two verandas ga...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank EjaHelsinki
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 6 January 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review,
Im so sorry about the chilli!, I dont know what happened there... I hope you mentioned it at the time so we could fix this for you immediately.
All the best x Linda
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Beautiful location with breathtaking views and very friendly local staff. The food was amazing and we thought reasonable value, and I would highly recommend taking a cooking class. Our 6 year old daughter loved playing and exploring in the garden. There were monkeys, a rabbit, 2 guinea pigs and some fish. There were small walks around the ecolodge. My partner and daughter went swimming in the waterhole, but I did not go in the water because of leeches. We took a 4hr guided walk which was truly amazing. If I had to be critical, the towels and linen did not smell clean (at home when I try to clean more naturally I use eucalyptus and tea tree oil with hot water so I may be biased). Also beware of Bali traffic, it took us 4 hrs to get back to the airport with the hotel van so we were cutting it a bit short. I would definitely go back, recommend it to friends, and check out the owners other ecolodge near the beach.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Ruma Manis lodge, great for a couple or family with 1 child. There was a double bed...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tina_Case_Sydney
Hi Tina,
Thank you for your very positive review, we are always happy to have families here.

1 Note: Regarding our laundry, we use only natural soap nut ( a local nut used traditionally by the Balinese before- Rinso became available here) there are no chemicals involved in any of the laundry for your bungalow. Our staff changed the sheets daily for you- at your request.

All the best and maybe we will see you in Bali again someday
x Linda
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Fresh air, breathtaking views, fantastic food, peace, love and jungle! We stayed in the Ruma Manis bungalow and had total privacy with breathtaking views. It's paradise. We could see half of Bali, all the way down to the ocean. Right next to it there's a natural postcard river waterfall down a steep path with three pools for swimming! Trek Batukaru, hike the jungle, walk to the sleepy village, or hang out in the lodge's amazing gardens. Have a chat with the four rescued monkeys, or get a massage (I had the best massage in my entire life here). There are also some excellent meditation spots on the property, and the energy is absolutely amazing. Much of the food is home grown and the meals are absolutely divine. Although we would like to keep this place to ourselves I say book now and never look back.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sylvia R
Ecolodgebali, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Thank you, Thank you!
We hope to see you again someday
Kind Regards
Linda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
The Damai
Prana Dewi Mountain Resort
Puri Lumbung Cottages
Puri Lumbung Cottages
#2 of 22 in Munduk

Been to Sarinbuana Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!