“Something different”

Sarinbuana Eco Lodge
Shanghai, China
“Something different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had a lovely couple of weeks here at Christmas. The lodge only has a few bungalows all placed in different locations basically amidst jungle. This for us was a plus as we were craving peace and quiet! Lovely staff who whip up the most amazing food. The menu was definitely a strength with the most amazing salads grown in the garden and coffee grown and ground by the staff. honestly we turned into total foodies while we were there and couldn't wait for the next meal. the jungle special weekend dinners were worth photographing as they were severed up in traditional Balinese style dishes. The owners are very friendly and we read some great informative books recommended by Norman and from the shelf in the dining building. I do think 2 weeks is probably too long here only because there is not much more to do except read. I Think a week would be ideal though as you can book a some of the tours although Bali tour guides are a bit different ! Lots of people ask about the bugs. We had a very jungle surrounded bungalow and yes at times I was a bit harrased by insect life but it is all part of the experience and not to much of a problem, just get a routine going of tucking your mosquito net into your bed early and it is all okay. You get to see some amazing sights, lovely birds and glow bugs etc. I would recommend this place as the staff were so nice, food was great and it is all so relaxing. The owners also helped get something returned to me from the other villa( we stayed there a week also and I left something important behind) they have a partial interest in further North in Bali and I was impressed by how helpful and honest everyone was in this. The other villa is also worth staying in it has it's own pool and is by a beach. NowI have written this review I want to back at least for a day trip to sample some of that awesome cooking!!!

Room Tip: Really hard to say all so unique!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taxedteacher
Hi Tiffanie,
Thank you for your lovely review & your recommendation to other guests based on your experience here.

My first trip here was for 2 months and it seemed way to short!, now I have now been here 13 years with the family.
We have guests who stay for 2 weeks, 1 month or even those you stay 3 days and then end up living here as neighbors :)

Our family have never used mosquito nets here ( we do understand that guests that are not familiar with living in the tropics feel more comfortable under a mosquito net, which is why they are in each bungalow)

We recommend to our guests to open the windows at night ( if its not raining of course) and enjoy the clean mountain air. For a lot of our guests this is the attraction - No AC, & knowing it is safe to have an open window through the night.

So glad you enjoyed the meals.

x Linda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Indonesian first
Denpasar, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Everything about our stay was lovely. We booked the Rumah Manis bungalow and it was perfect for my wife and I with our two small children. Perched on the edge of the jungle we felt like we were the only people for miles and there were no sounds other than those of the forest. Delightful. The bungalow itself was clean and well appointed with a lovely bathroom with lots of hot water. The balcony in front was perfect for us all to sit and enjoy the view.

The restaurant was superb and we all enjoyed every meal - my kids really loved the breakfast pancakes and I really liked the muesli with yoghurt and palm sugar syrup. Yum!

Other guests were also lovely - Sarinbuana Eco Lodge seems to only attract a 'better class of guest' which was great. Norm and Linda and their children welcomed us with great warmth and we felt like long lost cousins! We couldn't have hoped for better or more friendly hosts.

Of particular note was the Buni Berry Sorbet which was magnificent.

My family had a wonderful holiday here and I thoroughly recommend Sarinbuana Eco Lodge for everyone!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Yes Buni berry Ice cream is so good, but the Buni Sorbet is my personal favorite... we are all sad as the Buni berry season is now over, but we look forward to it again next year.

You have a lovely family, we loved the fire night under the big sky with guitars - you have a great voice by the way.

All the best xx Linda
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

If you come to Bali, you absolutely must go to Sarimbuana. The place is magical, mystical, the staff incredibly welcoming, and the hosts, Linda & Norm make your stay really special. It's the best place to experience the real Bali without compromising comfort and simple luxury. The food is exquisit, organic and so tasty. Amazing place to simply meditate, relax or do numerous available activities if you feel like moving.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Rumah Manis. Beautiful, peaceful and at the same time, surounded by "jungle"...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Thank you & all the best for the rest of the year!
Stay in touch as your journey unfolds.
x Linda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

This was the highlight of a holiday. A wonderful place that really allowed us to get a good sense of Bali's people and culture.

We stayed in the Orchid Bungalow which was private, peaceful and very romantic. We had hoped to get a bigger bungalow but actually, for the 2 of us this was absolutely perfect.

The food is incredible - whether it's the specials prepared each night or the regular menu. Quality and freshness absolutely on a par with or superior to food back home (but of course with a fabulous balinese twist).

Staff were very friendly and professional - helping us organise our activities each day. And there's plenty to do. We did a tour of the vegetable garden, medicinal herbs, a rainforest trek and a massage or four.

You don't need to be deeply committed to eco-principles to enjoy this place (but if you are, you'll love it). We loved the sunsets, the fresh air, the pleasant cooler air in the mountains (but not too cool), the afternoon rains (we went in rainy season), the wonderful birds (bring binoculars) and generally just being in the most beautiful, natural location.

If we ever decide it's worth a return trip to Bali (unfortunately have to think of our carbon footprint) then we would come back here in a flash.

The only bit we felt slightly uncomfortable about were the prices of food. It was completely affordable to us. And the money is going to a good place and helping the local community. BUT it's so far above local prices we felt embarrassed splashing more on an evening meal than a local might earn in a month. It's not a unique issue to the lodge, but one that we felt uncomfortable with.

Room Tip: orchid bungalow lovely for a couple. amazing view, shower and privacy.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thank you for your lovely review.

Please to be correct, a local person doesn't earn in a month the price of a meal at the lodge, it is closer to the daily rate of pay than the monthly pay.

I cant comment on other hotels in Bali but we aim to nurture our staff at the lodge, with very good wages & conditions, they are our family & neighbors here. We could not have been so successful without our local staff & friends.

Thanks again for spending time with us.
xx Linda
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

As I planned to take my 6 yr old son to Bali for his first trip, I wanted him to experience 'real' Bali with the natural environment, friendly people, tasty food and the culture. Sarinbuana Eco Lodge offered this and more. Everything was at our pace where the staff were relaxed and very open to sharing this paradise with us. My sister and I were very impressed that after returning to the Tree House from breakfast the blinds and shutters would be open, allowing us to fully appreciate the location.

We brought some books and stationery for the Sarinbuana Elementary School, which we walked down to the school. There we met the very excited school children. Putri's 6 yr old son had finished for the day, so my son got to play with him and a friend at the lodge while it rained during the afternoon. The three boys quickly gelled and the language barrier disappeared as they fed the rabbit and guinea pigs and played Twister and Lego.

For the adults, the tranquility was very relaxing. We enjoyed going to the Bale to do some improvised yoga with the mats that were waiting for us. Having a massage in a traditional open air hut, while in complete privacy was also a plus. I have been telling anyone who will listen what a great place the lodge is to re-group and relax. Thanks again.

Room Tip: As a group of 2 adults and one child, the Tree House suited us down to the ground, there was plenty...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you for your review & your gifts for the school children, both very much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Linda
Kone, New Caledonia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful paradise for two weeks with our 3 yr old daughter and 10 month old son. We were very much in need to decompress from our work life and sought this place for it's promise of serenity as well as offering both intellectual and cultural stimulants for the whole family. First and foremost, the staff at the eco-lodge are truly lovely, friendly and very helpful people- while at the same time discreet. They did everything to make our stay special and so relaxing. They cooked special meals for our ten month old baby (fresh, organic and delicious) and also for our 3 yr old daughter. The food at the eco-lodge was absolutely incredible. We stayed in the Treehouse bungalow which was large and beautiful with expansive views of the jungle. The architecture of the bungalows is wonderful- so that you feel constantly outdoors even while inside. You are truly one with nature at all times, and the serenity seeps into your whole being. We had a massage almost everyday, and it was quite something to receive a massage while a beautiful rainstorm falls around you. We hired a child minder, Kadah, to help with the kids during our two week stay ~ she was so responsible and loving to the children. So really, what a wondrous place this is- it was such an extraordinary place to be with the family but also so very romantic for the parents. In addition, the excursions were very interesting; whether trekking in the rain forest, hiking to temples, or day-trips to nearby towns such as Ubud. However, simply strolling around the premises was marvellous too. Thank you Linda, Norm and Putri for such a lovely stay. We will return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you so much, your review is very humbling.

We miss seeing your gorgeous children around, as they became part of our lodge family... & those very special baby cuddles.
We all look forward to seeing you again someday.
Linda
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

The eco lodge offers the discerning traveller a real, pure and nurturing experience. Though I am a self-confessed typical city girl and lover of the concrete cosmopolitan jungles, I was enchanted by the eco lodge, its friendly and discreet staff, and the wonders of nature in their sprawling compound. I spent my 30th birthday here and had a wonderful and memorable time.

My partner and I loved the Padi walk which took 3 hours and opened our eyes to farming. I have to say it was very comforting to see farming in a natural setting and not the typical and sterile line up of crops like a military parade. It made me smile when our guide, who is a farmer, ran off into his crop plot, and retrieved 2 fresh coconuts for our thirst quenching enjoyment!

Within the compound, you'll also find nature's answer to the modern swimming pool in the form of 3 waterholes, complete with small waterfall cascades and explorable via a safe climb from the bottom up. Yogis like myself can use the Bamboo Vale (comes with yoga mats!) at your own discretion and perform your sun salutations in literal sunshine.

Apart from the comfy bed, amazing outdoor shower that made me feel like Pocahontas (we stayed in the Orchid Bungalow), I also really enjoyed the food we were served. My partner and I felt so much better after the delicious organic meals in traditional Balinese tastes. I completely recommend Fish Night! Best meal we had!

Free of the typical modern comforts of TV and air-conditioning, my partner and i were instead treated to the nature's cool breeze and slept wonderfully through the night. The most thrilling part about waking up in the Eco Lodge is being able to appreciate the sunrise without leaving the duvet!

I read some reviews of bug problems but to be perfectly honest, none of the bugs 'bugged' me and I actually found myself documenting those I has not seen before! Oddly, you really get a sense that you should be respectful as you are technically the guest in their natural home. And this is coming from a girl normally who screams at first sight of a roach!

My only feedback would be to have a labelled recycle bin in the rooms for the guests (as mentioned, it was my birthday so i was rather vexed about my own paper wastage from present opening and ended up packing it home instead!)

Totally recommend Sarinbuana Ecolodge for the quiet adventurer!

Room Tip: Orchid Room is great for couples and has the amazing outdoor shower!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Looking forward to seeing you again someday.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
The Damai
Bali Mountain Retreat
Bali Mountain Retreat
#2 of 53 in Tabanan
Prana Dewi Mountain Resort

Been to Sarinbuana Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!