“Like a dream....”

Sarinbuana Eco Lodge
Auckland Central, New Zealand
“Like a dream....”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this paradise on the mountain in May 2013. I was there a total of 11 days. This place encompassed all my interests and loves; natural surroundings, great food, culture, good ethics and sustainability.

The food is exceptional, I think due to the fact that it is so fresh and healthy... and still unbelievably yummy! The service is lovely. Best of all is hearing the lovely staff enjoying them-selves too. You can always hear them laughing in the kitchen as they prepare meal and all throughout the day.

I love that in this hidden location you are still exposed to many of the cultural traditions and customs of Bali. I really enjoyed doing many of the workshops. I took a cooking class where we made our dinner meals from scratch (ingredients from the garden mostly). Everything was explained really well and any questions answered. I learnt the art of making offerings and decorations out of coconut leaves, it was lovely to see how they were handmade. I did a long walk to the temple on the mountain. It was challenging at times but I very much enjoyed it as I felt amerced in the culture and nature on the mountain as I learned lots as we passed rice fields and rainforest. Wood carving was also so amazing, and a lot easier than I thought (does take a bit of patients though!). I even got to see kids from the village doing dance lessons and I volunteered and did an interactive English lesson with them afterwards... It was very special!

The surroundings at the eco lodge are enchanting. You aren't able to see another place at the lodge from your own place/room (except monkey bungalow). Which makes it so special and lovely.The Bamboo Balae was my favourite place to watch nature at any time of the day. You are one with nature there, and it is beautiful and exciting. Sometimes nature even comes in to meet you which is fun but totally harmless.

The whole atmosphere that the owners of the lodge have created is amazing. A holiday here is even more enjoyable when you know that what you are paying for will see funds go straight back to the local village where it is located, and also to preserving the beauty of the place. I can't wait to return to this place for years to come, as I know it will be around for a long time due the infrastructure and processes that have made it hugely sustainable.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sianpp_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The Sarinbuana Eco Lodge is a stunning eco-friendly and environmentally conscious lodge located in the mountains of Bali... The beautiful and tastefully decorated bungalows were spacious and private, with many windows to view the jungle canopy from. We spent some of the time sitting and staring out the bay windows while it rained, reading books on the balcony as butterflies flitted by, marveling at the private outdoor showers and garden space, and visiting the resident rabbits and monkeys. The restaurant served fresh delicious food and the hosts were warm, charming and welcoming.

I would have to say it was one of the most unique places I've ever stayed -- in the middle of the dense jungle, with no sounds other than the morning birds, the wind rustling in the leaves and the night filled with frogs, with an occasional distant voice from a neighboring bungalow. Sarinbuana is extremely placid, and extremely peaceful. There's really nothing like opening your bungalow windows and doors in the morning to a cool mountain breeze with the sun rising up over the mountains, birds dotting the sky.

Norm and Linda were terrific hosts, both highly intelligent and engaging in conversation, as were all of the staff. The food was delectable -- as we are both vegetarian (one being more of a gluttonous vegan, heh) my fiance found tremendous enjoyment in their raw gastronomic delights! Make sure to make space for dessert, as their signature desserts are not to be missed! There's a lot to see and do in the area, and a lot to learn which makes it also an ideal place for children who enjoy the outdoors.

I found the Lodge's commitment to being eco-friendly and sustainable quite amazing, applying their knowledge of permaculture and nutrition in a way that is far beyond any other "eco" place out there. The entire property has been set up with permaculture in mind, water runoffs means your shower can later water parts of the garden (which is why you should only bring non-toxic biodegradable bath products), compost is used for planting, and so on. Both Norm and Linda have extensive experience and knowledge in this area, and are always happy to lend some thoughts on the subject and also can provide training if desired. It's also inspiring to see a place "walk the talk" in this regard.

One thing to note -- if you are looking for a climate-controlled, Westernized, carpeted Ritz Carlton in the jungle, this will not be it. While the service is very attentive, you will still be at a nature lodge amongst the trees, so you will find a stray insect or two on occasion, or a gecko on your ceiling, and of course there is no air conditioning (nor none really needed up while in these mountains). For us, this was all part of the enjoyment and experience, but if you need that level of creature comforts then you should probably look elsewhere.

There are also a wide range of experiences to choose from -- we went on a rainforest hike to learn more about the vegetation, learned wood carving, got a massage and otherwise had the time to unwind and learn more about the environment and people there. There's also a great short hike on the property down to a series of natural clear pools and small waterfalls you can go bathing in. Although we stayed only for a short time, we look forward to coming back to do their Orangutan Trek with our nephews, nieces and when the time comes, our children - bringing awareness to the great diversity of life in the jungle.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Sarinbuana so much that we most definitely intend to return in the future. We'd highly recommend Sarinbuana to anyone looking for a peaceful getaway in nature, a safe haven in the jungle, an inspiring eco-oriented stay or just something different, and think it is actually one of the best places we've been to in Asia. Many thanks to Norm and Linda and the hospitable staff and we hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Sawtell
Reviewed 15 June 2013

After spending a hectic week on the coast with friends, I desperately needed some 'real' Bali that I remember experiencing on two visits about 30 years ago. Sarinbuana Eco Lodge offered that peace.... and some. They organised transport from door to door with no fuss, and it was pleasing to be surrounded by more and more green as we drove higher.
With only five bungalows, each beautifully presented with its own theme and staffed by local villagers you are quickly made to feel part of the lodge family.
From my spacious Tree House Bungalow the noisiest neighbours were the many species of birds that inhabit the forest surrounds, the resident gecko and the laughter of the staff as they tended the beautiful organic permaculture gardens.
The food was fantastic, with specials offered each day from fresh in season fruit and vegetables and it was great to see that the sustainability principles on which the lodge operates are really practiced. Solar electricity, recycling, intuitive design, commitment to the local villagers, their culture and environment are all incorporated into this wonderful place.
I had a great adventure on the walk through rice paddies, jungle, farm forest and local roads and tracks to Batukaru Temple, ably assisted by my guide who even made a walking stick for me! The temple was shrouded in mist and very peaceful. A must do. As was a wonderful massage afterwards to relax tired limbs! I also loved being taught how to make traditional offerings, they are so cleverly yet simply made and I now have a greater understanding of their significance in Balinese life. I can’t wait to return to explore more of the area. Thank you to all for your hospitality.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Amsterdam
Reviewed 27 May 2013

The Eco Lodge is beautiful... The view, the gardens, the bungalow, the food and the people. So peaceful!

They offer a wide range of activities - Ienjoyed the jungle hike and cooking class, as well as the drive to the Jatiluwih rice paddies and the massage. The rooms are relatively expensive, but worth it.

It is good to realize though that the place is really 'in the middle of nowhere', and as a single female traveller, I had to overcome some anxiety during the night. But perhaps that is just me being used to big cities and having many people around :-)

Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, we are remote- this is a key experience we offer to our guests, who are interested to experience rural traditional farming/ life in Bali, while surrounded in nature & peace.
All the best
x Linda
Moraga, California
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The Sabrinbuana Eco Lodge was the highlight of our stay in Bali. We had initially booked two nights, but after the first night we decided to extended our stay for an additional three nights. We loved it!

Passion and attention to detail have gone into the design and construction of this amazing place. It is a model of sustainable development; combining luxury accommodations and service,with green building, sustainable gardening, environmental restoration, bio-aquatic waste management, and cultural/community integration. Your visit here will be sure to create an lasting positive impact.

While at the lodge we enjoyed exploring the property gardens, fish pond, waterfall and of course our daily trips to visit the monkeys. Delicious and healthy meals were accompanied by great chats with other guests from around the globe. We took a memorable guided trek through the local rice fields and jungles to explore the ancient temple nearby. We slowed down enjoying the serenity of the location nestled within the rain forests.

We highly recommend this mystical, romantic lodge!

Room Tip: We stayed at in the Rumah Manis bungalow, perfect for a honeymoon couple.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher A A
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you!
It's special guests like you that keep us sane, real & current.
xx Linda
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had a lovely couple of weeks here at Christmas. The lodge only has a few bungalows all placed in different locations basically amidst jungle. This for us was a plus as we were craving peace and quiet! Lovely staff who whip up the most amazing food. The menu was definitely a strength with the most amazing salads grown in the garden and coffee grown and ground by the staff. honestly we turned into total foodies while we were there and couldn't wait for the next meal. the jungle special weekend dinners were worth photographing as they were severed up in traditional Balinese style dishes. The owners are very friendly and we read some great informative books recommended by Norman and from the shelf in the dining building. I do think 2 weeks is probably too long here only because there is not much more to do except read. I Think a week would be ideal though as you can book a some of the tours although Bali tour guides are a bit different ! Lots of people ask about the bugs. We had a very jungle surrounded bungalow and yes at times I was a bit harrased by insect life but it is all part of the experience and not to much of a problem, just get a routine going of tucking your mosquito net into your bed early and it is all okay. You get to see some amazing sights, lovely birds and glow bugs etc. I would recommend this place as the staff were so nice, food was great and it is all so relaxing. The owners also helped get something returned to me from the other villa( we stayed there a week also and I left something important behind) they have a partial interest in further North in Bali and I was impressed by how helpful and honest everyone was in this. The other villa is also worth staying in it has it's own pool and is by a beach. NowI have written this review I want to back at least for a day trip to sample some of that awesome cooking!!!

Room Tip: Really hard to say all so unique!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taxedteacher
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Hi Tiffanie,
Thank you for your lovely review & your recommendation to other guests based on your experience here.

My first trip here was for 2 months and it seemed way to short!, now I have now been here 13 years with the family.
We have guests who stay for 2 weeks, 1 month or even those you stay 3 days and then end up living here as neighbors :)

Our family have never used mosquito nets here ( we do understand that guests that are not familiar with living in the tropics feel more comfortable under a mosquito net, which is why they are in each bungalow)

We recommend to our guests to open the windows at night ( if its not raining of course) and enjoy the clean mountain air. For a lot of our guests this is the attraction - No AC, & knowing it is safe to have an open window through the night.

So glad you enjoyed the meals.

All the best
x Linda
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Everything about our stay was lovely. We booked the Rumah Manis bungalow and it was perfect for my wife and I with our two small children. Perched on the edge of the jungle we felt like we were the only people for miles and there were no sounds other than those of the forest. Delightful. The bungalow itself was clean and well appointed with a lovely bathroom with lots of hot water. The balcony in front was perfect for us all to sit and enjoy the view.

The restaurant was superb and we all enjoyed every meal - my kids really loved the breakfast pancakes and I really liked the muesli with yoghurt and palm sugar syrup. Yum!

Other guests were also lovely - Sarinbuana Eco Lodge seems to only attract a 'better class of guest' which was great. Norm and Linda and their children welcomed us with great warmth and we felt like long lost cousins! We couldn't have hoped for better or more friendly hosts.

Of particular note was the Buni Berry Sorbet which was magnificent.

My family had a wonderful holiday here and I thoroughly recommend Sarinbuana Eco Lodge for everyone!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Linda v, Owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Yes Buni berry Ice cream is so good, but the Buni Sorbet is my personal favorite... we are all sad as the Buni berry season is now over, but we look forward to it again next year.

You have a lovely family, we loved the fire night under the big sky with guitars - you have a great voice by the way.

All the best xx Linda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
The Damai
Prana Dewi Mountain Resort
Puri Lumbung Cottages
Puri Lumbung Cottages
#2 of 22 in Munduk

Been to Sarinbuana Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!