“A relaxing haven”

and 1 more site!
Sarinbuana Eco Lodge
Reviewed 24 January 2010

We stayed here for two nights, coming from Ubud and before going to Sanur. This place is right away from any noise and mayhem of the tourist trail and is so peaceful and relaxed as a result. This is place where you find the real Bali and see village life alongside you.

The place itself is beautiful, set near Mount Batukaru with amazing views both of this and down to the coast. We stayed in Rumah Manis which had a lovely big outside area which I think had the best views out to sea across jungle. The room was clean and the bathroom was absolutely wonderful.

My husband and I are both terrified of spiders, but apart from the (admittedly massive) one by the path to room who we named Steve, there were none to be seen. This was a big relief. Apart from this, there is plenty of nature to keep you interested. One night we were reading on the veranda when lots of bats were swooping round out heads. Wonderful. There is a real sense here of being at one with nature and living alongside it. We went to the water hole which is a lovely addition and enables you to cool off in the afternoon.

The food is delicious, I think this was some of the best food we ate on our trip. Everything is so fresh and you feel really healthy after a few days of eating here. Most things are grown and harvested on the grounds. We did a tour of the gardens here which was really interesting. We also did the rice paddy walk which was excellent, as we saw some amazing views and ate some unusual fruit along the way. We wished we had more time to do other trips as they all sounded excellent, and the massages looked great too.

We didn't meet Norm and Linda as they were away while we were there, but all staff were very friendly and helpful. There is obviously a sense of community here and in the surrounding villages.

This is not a place for a party, and that's not what we came for. We wanted somewhere to relax, see the real Bali and some outstanding natural beauty. This place ticks all the boxes.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 November 2009

WE began our holiday at Sarinbuana and finished it there! Thirty days in Bali, fifteen at The Eco Lodge, that says it all!
A unique experience in many ways.Stunning location,beautiful bungalows ( we tried them all ),wonderfully warm friendly service and a maize of activities to keep you occupied if your so inclined.
Norm and Linda are passionate enviromentalists and it shows in all aspects of The lodge.
It was a great honour to be apart of their family and that includes Sarinbuana Village.
We can t wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 November 2009

This was our second visit to the Eco Lodge - we had stayed there last year for our honeymoon, and we returned again this year for our one-year anniversary. This time we stayed for 5 nights, which was fantastic. We stayed in the same bungalow (Orchid) which was still gorgeous. Norm and Linda are such lovely people and welcomed us back like family. The staff, as always, were a delight, and cooked up some delicious food once again. We indulged in a massage almost every day (which we miss!) Some additional activities were on offer this year - we throoughly enjoyed the bicycle ride to the beach (with the fresh coconut juice from the warung at the end!) and a walk up the mountain where we saw the temple all decked out for a ceremony the next day. We also met some really lovely couples who were also staying there. I'm sure we'll return again next year!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2009

If you are visiting Bali, it is well worth getting off the well worn tourist route and spending time at the Sarinbuana Eco Lodge. The landscape is lush, the view spectacular and the night sky was just gorgeous. The food is delicious Balinese home cooking, the rooms are gorgeous and very comfortable. There is loads to do here. I really enjoyed the Balinese medicine class. Myself and two Balinese ladies spent a couple of hours hanging out and making some great drinks and potions from herbs. Make sure to book a massage and say hello to the resident monkeys. All the staff are wonderful and friendly. I felt very much at home and was very sad to leave. I traveled alone and would highly recommend it for solo travelers.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Wow! I just read the terrible review! Stunned by disbelief I just had to remark. Though, I think Norm summarised this reviewers inner difficulties quite succinctly.

For our honeymoon we were blessed with a much too short stay in the company of the most beautiful people I've ever had the privilege to share such precious ground with.
Such an embracing experience was the lodge that I almost feel jealous viewing visitors more recent photos and comments of what immediately felt like our home.

It's not just the majestic power of the vast rock that harbours your stay. Nor is it the embracing warmth of absolutely every individual you have the honour of meeting. Now, I like to talk but our stay with the Sarinbuana family overwhelms all expectations of what true balanced peace really is and leaves me so struck and homesick to return that I'm short of words to describe what an incredible all round revelation our too brief a stay actually was.

Linda and Norm have established a visionary dream that has not only protected an incredibly beautiful area of land but extended their family to encompass and support an extremely important chunk of Balinese culture.

This isn't just an opportunity to immerse in utter tranquillity. It's a chance to exist, if only to briefly, in a life cycle that truly works.

I'm trying to find a flaw to end with but all I can think is how much I want to return, eat real food, and find something to give back to a space that gave us so much.

And go carve or do calligraphy with Ketut. There's a man that will humble you and now someone I am proud to call my brother!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2009

The surroundings are gorgeous, the food was amazing, the home made ice cream the best we've ever had, the staff helpful and friendly and the cottages cute.

So why did we leave after one night? Because neither the website nor any of the other Tripadvisor reviews had prepared us urban folk for what was in store for us. We honestly cannot say this is a bad hotel, but it should be more clear to guests that unlike other hotels where the occasional bug wanders into your room, bugs are home here and you are just a guest.

While we liked what's mentioned in the first paragraph here, we really could not deal with the ants, which were everywhere in massive numbers, the huge spiders - albeit non-poisonous, the frogs, moths, slugs and all other unidentified insects (many the size of my hand) that were all over the bathroom and bedroom.

Linda pointed out that this was a good occasion to learn to get over our fears, but therapy is not how I wanted to spend my honeymoon. I guess we did not really understand well enough what to expect from an eco lodge.

If you do, and you don't mind the critters, you'll love this place. It just wasn't for us. I hope that despite that, I have managed to give this a fair review.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kims0304
Ecolodgebali, owner at Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2009

We were sorry to see these guests leave early, I can only remember it happening once before over 3 years, another honeymoon couple coincidentally. Here's our response to the bugs issue:

An Eco-Lodge works with nature rather than against it and learning what really is, and what really isn't, threatening, is an important part of living more sustainably. Sometimes we're challenged by little black ants, sometimes noisy geckos or spiders, but they don't hurt us and without them, we'd be overrun with real pests.

Routinely killing snakes, spaying spiders, poisoning your home to kill termites, spraying your vegetables with biocides.... this is not a sustainable or healthy lifestyle. If we are going to reduce the toxins we dump into our living environment, we humans need to get over those fears which are irrational.

The Eco Lodge is not in the business of personal development but we are in the business of environmental education and hopefully, inspiration. Here's a recent, true story:

Ted came from Los Angeles to tutor our sons for 3 months. He's a big sporty guy, but he had a terrible phobia about bugs. For the first 2 weeks, if he saw a big spider in the room, he didn't sleep. And if the spiders didn't get him, there was a very noisy gecko that woke him up every hour or two. The poor guy was a wreck.

After 3 months, Ted was not only 'cured' of his phobia, he'd become fascinated by the amazing variety of interesting bugs and small critters we have around the Eco Lodge. He even left us with a wonderful collection of macro photo's of insects. He recently emailed me that a cockroach had flown into his room (back in LA). Previously, he would have sprayed the whole room and still had trouble sleeping. Now, he watched the cockroach go into his wardrobe and thought... 'ok, no problem'... and went to sleep.

We're not here to tell our guests what to do but we are here to educate everybody about living more sustainably. We're using non-toxic methods to reduce the current ant problem, but yes, it is an Eco-Lodge and we are in a lush, tropical setting. There are less annoying bugs here than you'd expect (our family has never used mosquito nets for example, although they're provided for guests) however, because we don't use poisons at the Lodge, we hope there will always be spiders and fire-flies, praying mantis, dragonflies and butterflies, frogs... noisy geckos and yes, little black ants :)

PS. At rare times during the year, we occasionally see the largest moth in the world, the Atlas Moth.

All the Best,

Norm van't Hoff
Sarinbuana Eco Lodge, Bali

Reviewed 10 September 2009

The title sums it up really!

What an amazing place.

If you are thinking of going to the lodge, why are you still thinking?! GO! NOW! You will not regret it.

The environmental work that Norm and Linda do is brilliant. The lodge itself is a wonderful place to stay, and you can see how it makes a difference to the local community in every aspect of its running. Linda does a fantastic job running the place, whilst employing and training and encouraging local people as staff...who are all so welcoming and friendly!

The food is incredible. We are both strict vegans and whilst we had been reassured that vegan catering would be available, we had no idea how good it would be. We had no need to worry at all - we had so much choice, and each different lunch and dinner was delicious.

The bungalows were beautiful, each one unique. We stayed in Rumah Manis and loved how secluded we felt when we were in our room, looking out over the rainforest canopy down to the coast, waking up to the myriad exotic bird calls, watching the sun rise, being lulled to sleep by the noise of the rainforest. It doesn't matter what the weather is like here, it is beautiful come rain or shine.

I'm not sure why someone on here moaned about mosquitoes. I am a mossie-magnet usually, and I didn't get bitten once at the lodge. I didn't even wear repellent. As for having to buy it, that's not true. Natural soaps and mossie repellent are provided in the rooms. If you want your own stuff, take your own stuff, but it's hardly something to moan about, surely?!

Anyway, our week here was simply brilliant. I wish we had never had to leave!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruthemily
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tabanan
Soori Bali
#1 of 59 in Tabanan
Bali Lush
Bali Lush
#2 of 59 in Tabanan

Been to Sarinbuana Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!