“Our first gathering”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Serang
Pulau Umang Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Serang
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Our first gathering”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My company held gathering at Umang a while ago.
The biggest complaint from our employee was the location. Since we are using small bus, it takes more than 5 hours to reach there.
But, when they arrived at Umang, zip, no complaint.
The island was quite nice. It's not that beautiful. But the view, the sand, the beach, the waves was amazing. Especially at Oar island.
The cottage was fine, not well maintained, and quite dirty. It seems that they are not taking care the rooms.
Since the lighting was dimmed, sometimes it felt spooky.
Overall, one nice experience, even though the distance was exhausting.
One another letdown, the food quality. Almost all food served here was under taste.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank bnugroho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our Umang experience started in Lippo Karawaci, Tangerang at 06.50 on 3rd October 2013. The driver loaded our bags into the Diahatsu Lumio and the 5-6 hour journey to the west coast of Java began. We travelled on the toll road at first and then came off the motorway and started on smaller roads which were busy through many towns. This was a great way to see the hustle and bustle of day to day life. Along our journey we saw a lot of new road construction which did slow our progress, as we got further from the large towns the traffic eased and we soon approached the national park and protected area of dense jungle where there are still around 50 small rhinoceros that are endangered, we didn't see any. Signs started to appear counting down the kilometers to Umang.
We arrived at the jetty, excited and boarded a boat which could carry 15 passengers or so. The sky was blue and the water turquoise and we could see Umang in the distance. After 10 mins on the boat we disembarked and walked along the wooden jetty to the reception. We passed some guys working on some coral baskets which was part of the coral reconstruction project to build the coral around Umang.
We were greeted with a cool orange drink and introduced to Eric, the manager, we were then escorted to our accommodation. The accommodation was a wooden triangular house (called bungalows) with huge windows and a large lounge area leading to a large shower room. The bedroom is on a mezzanine level and had 2 large beds with mosquito nets over them. A/C was located in the lounge and bedroom area and was efficient.
We quickly put on our swim wear and went out to explore. The views are excellent with white coral sand and clear turquoise ocean, the sun loungers and covered bamboo seating were very comfortable. You can walk around the island in 15 mins and at both ends of the island there is seating to watch sunrise and sunset. Whilst watching sunset a large monitor lizard about 6 ft long appeared but once he saw us he lumbered back into the undergrowth.
I would recommend a massage which was about 150,000 rupia but well worth it, it lasted just over and hour and the setting was beautiful looking over the ocean and listening to the waves lapping over the rocks.
The restaurant serves western and Indonesian food and there is plenty of it. The service is excellent but many of the staff only speak Indo, however they are very willing to make your stay as pleasurable as possible.
If you enjoy snorkelling a short speed boat ride to Oar Island is surrounded by amazing coral, a mass of colours and sizes is excellent. A guide will accompany you whilst you snorkel to make sure you get as much from this experience as is possible and it also makes you feel safe to have a guide.
Erik, the manager, came over to see us on Oar to bring us coconuts and to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. Erik speaks very good english and wants to know what you want fromyour visit and goes out of his way to ensure your stay is perfect. This is when you will want to stay longer as you can arrange to visit the National Park in search of the endangered Rhino and/or you can take a trip to Krakatoa. At the weekends you can hire jet skis, ride the doughnut or banana boat or simply relax and recharge.
The island has 60 rooms and the service level is excellent.
Umang lived up to the promise of an amazing experience, we fell in love with the island, people, food and freedom. Don't delay get it booked, make sure you communicate what you want from your trip. Erik and his team are brilliant and the future plans for umang will keep you coming back.

Room Tip: any room is good
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank nikkijw44
Basel
Reviewed 20 August 2013

There are not many places where you can snorkel “close” to the metropolis of Jakarta. The thousand islands are nearly destroyed by pollution or overcrowded during the weekends.
Probably the best option is the island hotel “Pulau Umang”. It is not a Hilton or Marriot resort; no, you are in Indonesia, probably a good 3 star place. It is located on an island, approx. 7 min. by speed boat from the coast (close to Samur).
The island itself has just the hotel with 30 bungalows; each of them hosts two separate apartments. The apartments itself have two levels. On the upper level there is the sleeping area with mosquito net – do not worry, just better than without. (In the mosquito season, i.e. 4 weeks after the rainy months have passed, you will find mosquitos in any x star location in Indonesia, if windows or doors can be opened by you.) The living area of the bungalows is spacious, two sofas, one comfortable lounge chair, table etc., huge fridge.
The hotel started 2005/2006. Even after only 8 years you see it. The original design is very nice. But the owner does not seem to realize that the rough climate, the salty air asks for its tribute. It is time to change the cover of the sofas or to fix all wooden parts, which come into contact with water. While I was there, a lot of renovation work was underway, but focusing mainly on the island itself and not the bungalows. Both tasks are very necessary.
The island itself is something rare in Java. No scooters, no traffic noise, just the water and waves around you; very relaxing.
The hotel is mainly used by residents of the Jakarta metropolis. Foreign tourists will not like to travel the 4 – 6 hours on the roads to the harbor station opposite Palau Umang.
I was lucky; because I spent a weekend there during the Ramadan. Only 3 bungalows were occupied. I was serviced perfectly. The manager – Erik (grandson of Dutch-Indonesian couple, but fully Indonesian) – picked me up at the pier and treated my like a personal friend during my whole stay. I cannot make any bad comment. I was treated very well. During high season, it might be quite crowded, as there is not a lot of free space besides the bungalows and the main building.
The kitchen of the resort offers mainly local Indonesian food. I am a European and have to admit, Indonesian dishes are not my favorites, please apologize; of course, if prepared nicely they might be fine also for me. Here, the cook focused more on the quantity. Foreign visitors who are keen on any seafood might even like it; but for me squid should be tender and not hard like rubber (I know, that is not so easy to prepare.). I was the only Western guest during my stay. It seemed that the other guests were quite happy with the food.
My target was not the food but the snorkeling. The resort has a second private island, which is nearly virgin-like. The world below the water line is spectacular. The colors of the corals and fishes are just fantastic and worth every hour of the long trip from Jakarta. The varieties of the fishes in colors and shapes are stunning for any visitor like me, who comes from a country without a coast line. Erik brought me to this jewel the two mornings, just a 5 min. ride by speed boat. I enjoyed these trips very much.
Sports: The resort has a nice pool, approx. 15 by 25 m, rectangular, perfectly for a swim. I made my 1 ½ km each morning and evening. Jogging is not really possible. The island is just too small and the trails are not very smooth.
Summary: I can recommend Palau Umang for a weekend break very much. But you will be only fully satisfied if you are willing to enjoy the under water paradise. You might have to make a compromise regarding the apartments and the food; but otherwise the prices would be double – and it is already not really cheap.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SebiFreqTraveller
Solo, Indonesia
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stay at umag from august 5-7th...Before go here, i read all the review..1 review thats absolutely help me what to expect from umang rsort is, we can't expect for 5star facility hotel in the island..some property not in good condition....but actually the service is quite good..few time we do complaint and the resprt staff response is very good..and since from pre booking untill we leave the island, we get warm n nice service..something i've rarely found at jakarta..if u want to do snorkeling better to do it at the morning qround 8 or 9 when the wind and wave still calm.the food quite nice..worth with the price we pay...the bathroom interior is very nice. For us, The cottage is quite big even for 5 or 6 people.only the road to go there make me dizzy...but overall, we enjoy our time there..good alternative for holiday if u want a place beside lembang or puncak or singapore :)

Room Tip: Choose a cottage that near lobby
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank meliantha s
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I've been with my family goes to pulau umang for holiday it was on weekend 26 - 28 of july. And what we found there was so awsome the staff are great, very polite thanks to the manager mr. Erik he was very kind.....:e give us the very best room 103 is our room. Just like honeymoon they design the room so hommy even my son like it. Its clean and neat. We have snorkling and canoing around the island. And at night we have an outdoor dinner on the beach that's what we looking for from the hatic time at jakarta. Pulau Umang we will come back.....best regards from me jeane and family

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank marijotorang
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Umang island is beauty natural island at ujung kulon,good place & good location for your hobby a photography the view sunrise & sunset over all good. About room good natural place hommy,food of course like the traditional cuisine for dinner seafood barberque very delicious. Thank Umang Island,Go for the best...****

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I spent my family holiday at pulau umang on 12 - 14 of june. It was beyond my expectation this place is so natural, they really taking care of everything during my stay, thanks to the manager he delivered all what we need, we go snorkeling to the other small island is only take 10 minutes by boat the coral is beautiful with the fish. And we feeding the fish so amazing.

At dinner we have a special dinner at the beach with their seafood bbq very tasty and the manager give my family a very surprise compliment it was a plate of fried king prawn so fresh.

The long traveling from jakarta is paid with all that we have at pulau umang. Thanks to all the staff the manager and our guest relation officer mesak.

For sure we recommended this place for your vacation. What we read about this place at internet just wipe away. We like to come back on our next vacation...go for the best for pulau umang.

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Serang
Aston Anyer Beach Hotel
Marbella Hotel, Convention & Spa
Greenotel Cilegon
Greenotel Cilegon
#3 of 5 in Cilegon

Been to Pulau Umang Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!