“Resort style hotel in the middle of the city”

Novotel Palembang Hotel & Residence
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Palembang
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Hotel is situated on a main road close to a busy traffic intersection but the hotel set so deep inside that you don't even hear the traffic. Rooms are arranged in a large circle around the swimming pool and gardens. Getting to the farthest room can be a long walk but isn't one supposed to indulge in a bit of physical activity in a resort? Breakfast is good with a lot of variety and that is the only time the restaurant is busy. It is usually empty at lunch time and sparsely occupied at dinner. It would appear that most guests eat at the mall right next to the hotel. Wifi connectivity is good with one modem for every two rooms but don't expect 3G speeds! Rooms are poorly lit and my request to change the bulb of the lamp close to the work table with a more powerful one was never done in spite of repeated reminders for 4 days. Finally ended up buying a 100W bulb at the mall.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but if you can't walk much request a room close to the check in desk on the s...
3  Thank IndoIndi

Reviewed 18 August 2012

I was really astonished when I arrived at this hotel. I think it is the most beautiful Novotel I've ever see. Just amazing how big the rooms are. And the swimmingpool is huge. And the best after twoo weeks of traveling through the island of Sumatra, I had a delightfull and very good espresso!

I didn't have my diner, because I love to eat at orignal eatmalls around Asia. But I really enjoyed the good service at the poolroom. I played pool.

I really would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank geluk1972
Reviewed 5 August 2012

It's like what they call themselves. Really an urban resort, and I loved coming back to the hotel after a long day at work, where you would be surrounded by much greenery and you could hear no noise from the traffic on the main roads at all. The area around the swimming pool is especially lovely, and there is also the peripheral of the hotel where one could go for walks just before the sun sets. However, it would be great if they don't blast loud music at the swimming pool area, cuz it's really a good place to chill with a book under the umbrellas.

The rooms are a good size, but they are on the old side. However, they are decorated to be rather cozy. One down side about having plenty of nature in the hotel would be the occurrence of mosquitoes. Bad for me, as I am the sort who attracts mossies. My first week in Room 208 had a night where I was awaken by mosquitoes biting me on my right arm which was outside the blanket. My 2nd week in Room 219 which seemingly had more mosquitoes as I see these buggers everyday had me awakened another night as there was one in the blanket with me and it bit me on my leg! But it was killed in the midst of flying out, I suppose, as it was found dead on my bed. On another night, I was badly bitten on my face, and I count 6 bites on the left side of my face.

Besides the mosquitoes, which probably would not bother everyone as much as they do to me, I would stay at the hotel again as I really like the surroundings and the swimming pool which is long and you could do laps there. The gym is great too, one of the biggest ever I have been to, and underused too. It faces the swimming pool area and it is great view.

Breakfast was so-so, as this is small city, so don't expect the international spread to be like those in the capital cities. The room service food was good!

1  Thank aurora26
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Stayed here for more than a week. The hotel looks good and the ambiance is best with greenery around. Service is good. The rooms are bit old especially the toilets with leaking taps. Rooms were clean. There is a swimming pool and gym.
Breakfast is ok. Dinner is very expensive, food not worth the price.
PTC Mall is walkable distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool would be bit noisy.
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed in Novotel Palembang on Christmas 2011. Book via www.accorhotels.com and get 50% discount.
Staff was very friendly. The room quite old, but clean.
Swimming pool and gym also nice.
The hotel very closed to the shopping mall, just 5 minute walking.
Dinner at chinese restaurant, the food was nice, but the price double when we eat at local restaurant outside the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2012

The hotel looks quite nice from the outside. The food in the dining hall is also not too bad but the rooms are old! The toilet tap looks like it was about to fall off, the water in the tub takes a LONG time to go down, and generally the room is TOO DIM! Hallways and corridor, the garden are all quite nice and acceptable but I think the room is really where I need it to be comfortable, so we cut short our stay to just overnight and went somewhere else. Wished they would renovate a bit.. it's too old and beaten up (from the inside). After all, this is an international brand...

Room Tip: For some rooms, you have to walk very far.... (sorry, can't remember the room numbers).
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Booked thru accorhotels.com, stayed for 2 nights. Complimentary breakfast only for 1 day. Check-in was done within 15mins. They served us chilled mango juice when we arrived. Staffs were friendly & full of smiles (including their personal fitness trainer). Love the architecture, interior & landscaping of the hotel. When you're in the hotel, you won't hear any sound coming from the busy street. However if you're unlucky, you might have to walk quite a distance to reach your room because of the circular design.

Very nice pool. Relaxing ambience. At night, a pianist & a singer might entertain you at the lobby lounge. The breakfast at The Square was good, variety of local & international foods. Love their pancakes & fried rice. We had our dinner at The Square as well, but my food & fruit tea was served only after 20mins of ordering. Slow to high-class hotels' standard but the waitress informed & apologised to us (twice) for the slowness. So it was fine to us. Our Superior room was nice & clean. Provided with fast WiFi, LCD tv with more than 25 satellite channels. Nothing to complain except for the balcony with the view of trees. However, beware there were lots of mosquito around the hotel. Do not open the sliding door.

There are few local restaurants opposite the hotel (be careful when crossing the road) & PTC Mall is not far. There is also a massage shop in the shophouses next to PTC Mall. 1-hour foot reflexology only cost for Rp55.000. But if you want to eat in PTC Mall do go before 21.00hr. Most shops closed at 21.00hr.

Overall, love everything about the hotel and would like to stay there again, though the rate is quite expensive.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family