“Couldn't have been more satisfied for the price”

Days Inn West Branch Iowa City Area
Ranked #1 of 2 West Branch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 August 2013

With a last minute change of plans, I picked up one of those cheap-rate motel magazines at an interstate rest stop and found this place. I'm glad I checked it out, given some of the reviews. For $40 (the walk-in rate for a king bed with the coupon), it was very clean and quiet. Big space with a fridge, microwave, wi-fi, TV, and (bad) coffee and toast in the morning.

Room Tip: #26 was big and clean, had all the amenities I needed
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank J T

Reviewed 12 November 2012

The woman who I assume was managing the place was nice. She gets 5 stars. However, the place stinks, complete lack of service and the rooms look like they haven't been updated since the early 70s. TV was old and out of focus, bathroom was old and worse yet it wouldn't drain so you were standing in your own filth. Hard and Lukewarm water only added to the horrific experience. I asked her to fix it. She tried. She failed. If you were up early, there was no coffee and nothing to do and no place to do it. I would not stay here ever again for any reason and I would highly recommend you avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Phil E
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This is a very bare-bones kind of place. The proprietor was very nice, and everything was fine. However, I have a problem with the claims of the website. It said there was a microwave & fridge in every room. We did not have those things, or a hairdryer. Also, when I went downstairs to use the computer, she was taking it away because "it doesn't work". I might have brought my laptop if the website hadn't listed a computer center. Also, our nonsmoking room was next to smoking rooms & didn't smell very good.
They did give us a good rate for those attending a puppetry festival in West Liberty.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ellrigg
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I was at a conference in the area and this hotel had the best service and incredibly friendly staff. It's clean, the shower is fine, and the property is older, but nicely maintained. My room was clean, comfortable, and an excellent value. If you are in the area, and there is a lot to do in almost every town within a 20 minute drive, then this is a great place to choose. Thanks for a terrific stay and a friendly welcome!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PixSmith
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Its an older hotel yet clean. The Tv is old and screen was green. Continental breakfast is toast and donuts from a bag. Coffee weak. Going to the Kum and go across the street. I would stay again but bring my own food and coffee pot.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My family was staying at this hotel since all the hotels in Muscatine Iowa were full due to Soccer. I must say that this hotel does need some work done to it but the staff makes it all worth staying here. While the kids were in their rooms playing games, me and the wife enjoyed a few cocktails in the lounge. The hotel offers everything you might need with out actually leaving the parking lot. I am not sure if I would stay here again because of the 30 min commute to Muscatine for the tournament. This is always going to be my second option if Muscatine get full again. My girls got 3 more years of Soccer and we will be done. The rooms were very clean and quiet. They might have lacked some amenities physically but if you call the front desk, they are more than happy to supply you with a blow dryer or iron.

Room Tip: Good place to book when others are overbooked.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My first problem was the high price- $75 dollars for one night in the middle of nowhere...but I needed a place, so I went ahead and paid. The first room I was given had a steady stream of water coming through from the upper floor of the building, and the manager asked me if it was okay if I stayed in there! Of course it's not okay! After getting a different room, I undid the sheets to find FRESH STAINS on them, burn holes in the blankets, and as if that wasn't enough, the shower didn't work! everything was dirty and smelled of sweat and sad, sad frustration. The owners do not take care of this place at all. I had COCKROACHES as roommates that kept me up all night, and was thoroughly afraid of getting under the sheets due to the uncleanliness. BE FOREWARNED that the owner will not give refunds! The overall attitude and service I received was unbecoming and extremely impolite.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LCN1415
Presidentialinn, General Manager at Days Inn West Branch Iowa City Area, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Thank you, for your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate the review even though it is negative and completely false. Since there were Olympic Wrestling tryouts in Iowa City we raised our rates. When supplies are low and demands are up we raise our prices. We did not raise the rate by much. We only raise the rate by $20. Most other hotels were charging $150 a night and you have to stay 2 nights. Let me just say that you were not given a room where there was steady stream of water coming through the ceiling. If that was the case you would not have been rented that room and that would have been put out of order till fixed. I’m not sure if you are being completely honest in your review. You said you spent the night with roaches and bugs crawling next to you in the room? Why would someone stay in a room like that? If there were that much roaches and stuff in the room wouldn’t you have noticed them during the first 10 minutes of your stay? Let’s say that there were roaches and stuff in the room why would you ask for an extended check out? In your review you say you would rather sleep in the back seat of your car then stay in our room. You also stated that we do not give out refunds? If we feel like the guest was correct and needs a refund we will. We will not give a guest a full refund if they stayed the whole night and not mention anything to us and then upon check out make fictitious claims. Sir I do not think you are being completely honest in your review. I bet if you had stayed at our hotel for free or for a discounted price than what you paid for you would never say these harsh criticisms. I hope you can open you eyes and see all the hard work we put into this hotel everyday.

Been to Days Inn West Branch Iowa City Area? Share your experiences!