“Keep driving to Iowa City”

Days Inn West Branch Iowa City Area
Ranked #1 of 2 West Branch B&B and Inns
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Keep driving to Iowa City”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Sorry, there's just no other way to describe this hotel except "dumpy". My "non-smoking" room reeked of old cigarette smoke, so much so that everything in my suitcase had to be washed when I got home. The AC/heater/fan was no help, as it was very loud and delivered only stale musty air at any temperature. The bathroom was grotty, the linens were threadbare and dingy, the mattress was shot, the pillows lumpy and the tiny 6-channel TV was a joke. The only thing that saved my rating from being "terrible" was the handy fridge/microwave in the room and free wireless internet. Unfortunately, it is the only motel in West Branch, but next time I will drive the extra 10 miles to stay in a real hotel in Iowa City.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any good rooms, but at least ask for a second floor (if you can do the stairs - no...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Farewell18

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 13 February 2014

In order for one to fully appreciate my experience at the Presidential Inn, you have to understand that I literally slid off the I-80 Exit 254 into this place as I ended up getting caught in a snow/ice storm at the beginning of the year. I had tried earlier to get off on a previous exit but my SUV does not have 4-wheel drive and I wasn't able to drive through the unplowed snowy exits that came before West Branch. I was extremely thankful and fortunate not to have been one of the many other cars that had either crashed or slid off the road entirely that I encountered on I-80 east bound. It was providential in a sense that I ended up in the town of West Branch, Iowa, as it is the hometown of Herbert Hoover our 31st President, a great man who has unfortunately is blamed by many historians and political scientists for being the cause of the Great Depression. However, a simple trip to the Herbert Hoover Museum will be an educational opportunity for any young indoctrinated student who is unfamiliar with the compassionate and caring man. Now that I have expounded on my appreciation for the greatness of Herbert Hoover, I must say that I really appreciated the greatness of the Presidential Inn as well.

I really enjoyed staying here at the Presidential Inn. The thing that I loved about this place first and foremost is that they accept cash as a method of payment. I know it might seem shocking in the electronic age that there are still people who use paper currency but if you are one of my fellow Luddites and you aren't overly thrilled about credit cards, debit cards, or any other electronic means of payment then the Presidential Inn this is a great change of place that is reminiscent of the good old days. The price was very good and the value of the room was well worth what I paid.

There were many other great things about this hotel, but I really appreciated the fact that I was given a real key and not a generic magnetic key that I have to constantly remember to keep away from my cell phone. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The TV was very small, old and simple but brought feelings of nostalgia as it seems like forever that I have watched TV on an analog tube television. The Mexican restaurant that is connected to the hotel was also very good and extremely convenient. There was also a lounge downstairs that seemed like a place where people attempted to have a good time and socialize if that is something you want to do. I would definitely come back to this place as I felt that regardless of the fact the building was old, the staff keeps it clean. The water in the shower was hot and the old fashioned heat lamp was really neat as it had a wall timer as well. The breakfast was also a nice add on, simple but good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Ned L
chicago
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hotel is located rite of the freeway. The room were large and clean with a fridge and mircowave. They also had nice little cozy sports bar on site and a brand new mexican restaurant. For wht I paid had no complaint. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank busniessguru
Chicagoland
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed for one night last year when all of the rooms in Iowa City were booked for an event. I would not stay there again. The motel was as far from "presidential" as you can get. It was very dated and lacked many of the basics that you expect in even a moderate to lower-end motel. It did appear clean, but because the whole place seemed so run down, I just couldn't be sure that it really WAS clean. In the morning, when I went to take my shower, I found no hot water in the room. I requested and received a partial refund for that inconvenience. Also, the desk clerk seemed to be absent (and unable to be summoned) much of the time, even during what should be normal business hours.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MzKarizzma

Travellers are raving about these West Branch hotels

Macomb, IL
Reviewed 21 August 2013

It was very clean and quiet. The rooms were spacious with a fridge, microwave, wi-fi, TV, and a great breakfast with waffles. The staff was very friendly and our room was cleaned and restocked every morning. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sam298
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 August 2013

With a last minute change of plans, I picked up one of those cheap-rate motel magazines at an interstate rest stop and found this place. I'm glad I checked it out, given some of the reviews. For $40 (the walk-in rate for a king bed with the coupon), it was very clean and quiet. Big space with a fridge, microwave, wi-fi, TV, and (bad) coffee and toast in the morning.

Room Tip: #26 was big and clean, had all the amenities I needed
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank J T
Sioux City, Iowa, United States
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The woman who I assume was managing the place was nice. She gets 5 stars. However, the place stinks, complete lack of service and the rooms look like they haven't been updated since the early 70s. TV was old and out of focus, bathroom was old and worse yet it wouldn't drain so you were standing in your own filth. Hard and Lukewarm water only added to the horrific experience. I asked her to fix it. She tried. She failed. If you were up early, there was no coffee and nothing to do and no place to do it. I would not stay here ever again for any reason and I would highly recommend you avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Mainstay Suites
Mainstay Suites
#15 of 20 in Coralville
Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Coralville - Iowa City

Been to Days Inn West Branch Iowa City Area? Share your experiences!