“Nothing at all except the tallest building in Kluang”
Review of Prime City Hotel

Prime City Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Kluang
Kuching, Malaysia
“Nothing at all except the tallest building in Kluang”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have been stay in this hotel few years back from this year. The situation getting worse and worse. I am not request a fancy hotel in Kluang but should be a hotel with basic living standards requirements. Below my experience when I am staying in 1018:
1) The water come out from water tap was very string chemical smell. I have ask the staff but she didn't answer me.
2) The frame of air conditioner outlet was shaking and making noise whole night. The air blowing very string even you turn it to low. You feel like you are standing on the mountain top. The room temperature was not adjustable. I have turn the temperature setting to 35 deg C but it was remained in freezing temperature.
3) The sound proof for the windows were very bad. I could hear the car horn even I am staying at 10th floor high. You could easily wake up and hear the band sound from the night club until midnight.
4) The blanket was so smelly. I didn't dare to check whether the blanket was moldy. The bath towel turn light grey color where it should be white initially.
5) The ventilation in restaurant was bad. You would have a frying smell on your shirt after you take your breakfast in the restaurant.
6) The only smiling face that I get was when I check in from the receptionist.
7) There was no non smoking room in this hotel. Smoking smell was every room you stay.
But the hotel was located next to bus station and close to city area. The receptionist could provide some basic travel information. if you didn't have the basic requirements that I mention above. Than this hotel would be a place to stay for you.

Room Tip: I guess higher floor would help to reduce the noise from outside.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank sunnybatu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Indonesian first
Malaysia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Very suitable if you prefer a convenient location. Town centre is walkable distance , good car park and well known for its Bistari Cafe. You can even walk to restaurants which is across the bridge from the hotel. Taxi and bus station is just next to the hotel.
If you are a breakfast person you should go for this hotel.
The food is not too bad so even if you prefer room service its worth it.
Apart from that, the building is a bit tatty, things need fixing and can get a bit noisy coming from the nightclub which is next to it called Muse Club , the noise can go on till 3-4am!.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor if you prefer a little bit of peace and quiet away from the club noise
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
KL
Reviewed 10 June 2013

it may be the tallest building in kluang i would say. Located in middle of town. nearby to bus station- easy access for public transport. not that friendly staff. quite low quality of breakfast served. nothing impressive. reception area was quite impressive, but this hotel is quite old and the room was not maintain well as can see the peeling paint- room wall. the room is big. theres a swimming pool allocated not bad for a kluang hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Zura A

Travellers are raving about these Kluang hotels

Kluang, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

If you go for privacy, this is it.Not many customers and quiet. The promotion is going on -RM89 for 4-6 person per set-Malaysian/Western 8 dish.
My friends and I went there to celebrate birthday. If you want buffet style, you have to order more than 30 person. Otherwise, ala carte/set.
There,s parking lot -4-6th floor.
It is good if the Hotel provide karaoke set in the Cafe

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HRS_6
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The lobby of the hotel was quite impressive, it looked very professional and welcoming. Staffs were friendly too. However, as we took the lift up it was as if we were at the wrong building. Open air and very old walkway. Needless to say, the room was quite outdated as well.

Despite the fact that it was quite old, the basic stuffs were there and it was clean enough. I am very particular when it comes to bathroom, especially when it is a rundown hotel, I expected the worse. BUT, it was actually quite ok. So we had a restful night, don't mind coming back again for a night stay.

Buffet breakfast was basic and taste wise is ok.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Our trip to Malaysia was all planned out on forehand, but we visited this hotel due to some unexpected happenings.

Although we were very glad to get a room with a decent bed (had a genuine good night sleep), the room itself was terrible. The room was smelly (as there was an ashtray I assume you are allowed to smoke), there was mould all over the place. The shower was terrible, if you wan't the water to be hot. The pressure of the water was fine when turned on cold, but warm was not really an option. We went to the receptionist and we got the tip to turn on the shower 10-15 minutes before you want to take a shower, as this should fix the water pressure. Off course this didn't work.

Breakfast is included in the roomprice and is ok.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Babsie_K
Malaysia
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed at Prime City for 4 nights for my wedding that was taking place in Kluang - 3 nights in the Prime Suite and the fourth night in a Superior room. Despite the negative reviews, we decided to go ahead with the stay as we had taken a tour of the hotel beforehand and it seemed ok.

It was a large group staying with us, all here for the wedding. Most of them stayed in a Superior room and everyone said it was not bad - the rooms and toilets were ok and with no foul smells. Basic amenities were provided and service was good. Breakfast was basic but tasty and filled us up till a late lunch. A few remarked that the hotel was much better than what the previous reviews had made it seem to be. Booking and checking in was also efficient - we had booked many rooms for a large group and nothing was messed up.

The Prime Suite was quite good, actually. It was very spacious, had a really large and comfortable bed (felt bigger than a normal King), dining table for 6, living area with sofa set, writing desk and flat-screen TV, aside from the normal dressing table and wardrobe. It had a balcony with a nice view of Kluang town and in which I managed to catch a nice sunset. It also had complimentary wifi access with strong signal and fast speed.

The Prime Suite was perfect for all my wedding preparation needs - My friends and I spent a lot of time hanging out at the sofa in the living area to eat, relax and catch up before the wedding and in between the wedding events - this was probably the highlight of my stay. The dining table was used for makeup (as it had good natural lighting) for both me and my maid-of-honour at the same time. The room was spacious enough for the photography and videography team to do their work well. I had also hung my wedding dress on the wardrobe knob to display it nicely and coincidentally, there was a small spotlight shining from the ceiling directly onto the dress! A nice little touch! The writing desk was used for my laptop so that my friends and I could get connected to the internet easily. There was also a hair dryer, which I used extensively for my wedding prep.

The bathroom in the suite was also very spacious and clean - my maid-of-honour had her hair stylist do her hair in there because the dressing table was being used by me. They had even brought in a chair for my maid-of-honour to sit on while her hair was being done. That was how big and clean the bathroom was!

In fact, the entire suite was clean and comfortable including the carpeting, sofa set, dining table, chairs and all other furnitures. Only some parts of the wall near the bathroom were worn and stained-looking, but these were easily overlooked and forgotten.

Service was also better than expected - I had asked for a replacement kettle as the original one was not working, and the staff sent me a replacement within minutes. I had also called regarding the wifi access and the staff was polite, knowledgeable and quick to answer my questions.

It was a shame that we had to move to the Superior room for our fourth night. The fault was our own, and not the hotel's, because it was a last-minute plan and by the time we requested for an extension of one night, all the suites were already fully booked. Needless to say, the Superior room was just average and I really missed the suite. Having said that, the Superior room was good enough with basic amenities and nice hot shower.

Location of the hotel is very good for those coming to Kluang by bus and alighting at the main bus terminal which is just a one-minute walk away from the hotel.

The rates are rather high though, for a small-town hotel because of the lack of competition. You pay the same for better hotels in JB. I didn't get a chance to see the City Suite, but go for the Prime Suite if you can afford it and especially if you are celebrating a special occasion. I had made full use of all the amenities in the suite for my wedding preparations and even brought back lots of fond memories of the place.

Room Tip: Go for Prime Suite on a high floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family