“Kuramathi village”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
scotland
“Kuramathi village”
Reviewed 1 November 2007

Just returned from Kuramathi. We have been to the Maldives before so have something to compare with.

Flights- We flew with Emirates as it saved us travelling from Glasgow to Manchester or Gatwick and worked out cheaper than an overnight at either. The flights were great but the change at Dubai is getting worse. It is far too busy an Airport. We flew by seaplane from Male which was wonderful although a bit noisy.

Accomodation- We stayed in the deluxe bungalows in the village Rooms were large and spacious, the 4 poster bed was massive and comfortable. The bathroom is enclosed and very large and the outside shower is to die for. There are no tea making facilities or hair driers in the rooms.

Food- The restaraunt is big and airy and very clean.The food was very good and we enjoyed the change from buffet to set meal at alternative luch or dinners. We also dined at the Mongolian Buffet and found it great value for money,also tried the Thai which was also value for money. For some reason we were also given a complementry dinner in the coffee shop which was the best meal of all the lobster was fantastic.

Bar- The all inclusive selection of drinks is great. There was over 120 cocktails to choose from. Only drinks you had to pay for were expesive whisksy or Brandys ie chvas regal, royal salute. The bar staff were very friendly and a tip is appreciated. The bar can sometimes get busy as the people from the cottage and laguna tended to come here as well

Beaches- The beaches are to one side of the island and quite narrow. They are not very private and can be a bit crowded at times. The water sports also tended to spoil the image,you can go to Benidorm if you want Banana boats. There are also no sun loungers on the beaches. You will need to go to lie at the pool if you want them and it was a bit to artificial for me.

Spa- The spa was great and very reasonably priced we went 3 times. Well worth a visit.

Weather- We had lots of rain at the end of October fortunatly most at night. We had 2 days it rained non stop, but no complaints, it was still warm. Lots of mosquitos so take plenty of everything.

Overall- This is not a get away from it all island, there are lots of families and the island was a bit too big for our liking but we still enjoyed ourselves and would not rule out going back as it is good value for money

13 Thank jedfran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kent
Reviewed 31 October 2007

We had been searching for a holiday for a number of months when we finally found Kuramathi, and its even better than it looks in the photos. I went with my parents, grand parents, 2 little sisters (5 and 14) and my boyfriend. We booked it through First Choice as we had heard that the Monarch flights were very uncomfortable. First Choice matches any price of any other travel agent but has better planes. We stayed for two weeks all-inclusive. I have written below all of the answers to questions we wanted to know before we went to Kuramathi, so I hope it helps.

Journey
*The plane was spacious, food was good and there were TV’s with games, films and music on the back of each seat, these can be upgraded so that you get more films and games if you pay £5, we done this but it isn’t necessary as the films and games it provides are really good. This kept us occupied throughout the whole flight there and home, especially the game which allowed you to compete against other people on the plane.

* 90 minute speed boat to the island, this was fun and no one on the boat was travel sick (even though 3 people of our party suffer from this), the sea was quite rough on the way back so my Nan and little sister went on the sea plane, I have heard that this is amazing and only takes 20 minutes.

Accommodation
*We had rooms 64, 65 and 67, and they were lovely, 4 poster beds, outside shower and a sofa. Although, the standard rooms looked nice too, but they looked as though they needed a bit of attention. The rooms get cleaned twice a day, and patterns are made on the beds.

* The room boys were really lovely (26 years old) and are really interesting to talk to and find out about their culture, most of them come from the nearest island, Rashdoo. They recommend tipping the room cleaner 10 dollars each week.

The island
*The island is beautiful, the sea really is that blue and the staff are amazing, they work long shifts but at 4.30pm in the evenings there is usually a game of football in which staff and some guests join in (my boyfriend joined in every day and left his football as a gift for the cleaner).

*The visitors of the island are mainly couples, and we were the largest party there, although there are a few families with children. There is a wide variety of different people; German, English, French, Spanish and Chinese.

*During the day there are hardly any people around and you do start to wonder where they are, but you see everyone later on in the Fung Bar.

*There are three hotels on the island as it is one of the largest islands in the Maldives, all of which share most facilities. There is a swimming pool at the Blue Lagoon hotel in the middle of the island.

*The food is excellent, we heard that the menu was repeated every week but we didn’t see the same thing twice and we were there for two weeks (I definitely recommend the moose’s!) A few of my family are vegetarian and we all had plenty of choice each day. Each day there is 1 set meal and 1 big buffet, this is either lunch or dinner, although there is a mini buffet at the same time as the set meal so there is plenty of choice, the waiters are also kind enough to only give you sections of the set meals if for example you don’t like one bit, or you don’t fancy the first starter.

* We were here for two weeks and not once did we hear anyone complain about the food.

Entertainment
*Karaoke- there was a karaoke at the Fung bar every Wednesday night, everyone looked as though they enjoyed this and it is a good laugh to get up and have a sing-along, this was our favourite night of entertainment.
*Live bands- there was a few live bands and singers a few nights a week.
*Disco- I think this is once a week, this is quite popular with the older couples.
*Tennis courts and gym- these are free to use and have free hire of rackets once you have become a member at the Blue Lagoon. This is 7 dollars for a week.
*Waterskiing- this was really good fun but was not part of the all inclusive package, it costs 22 dollars for 3 starts (for beginners) which includes if you DONT manage to stand, this then increases to 28 dollars if you do manage to stand and do 1 round (they do take you quite far) we had a problem with the way in which they charged us at the end of the holiday and this is the only thing I would complain about, the woman did not explain fully the pricing so once we had had three starts the boat man said “do you want to carry on?”, we didn’t know this would cost another 22 dollars. Therefore it is 22 dollars for three starts and anything over it then becomes 44 dollars and so on! My go ended up costing me 50 dollars as I didn’t manage to stand up until my 4th go, they therefore charged me for 3 turns and 1 full round. We did call up and complain to the woman but she would not back down and said she explained it clearly. So I would recommend it as it was great fun but be aware of the woman who works in the water sports shop as I have heard she has done the same with other things such as windsurfing and ended up charging someone 140 dollars when they thought it was free.
*Canoeing and banana boat rides- canoes can be hired out from the water sports shop and banana boat rides can be organised.
*Private glass bottom boats- these are like canoes but with a glass bottom so you can see the fish, worth using if you are not a fan of snorkelling.
*Snorkelling- this is amazing!!! I would recommend this to everyone. We went snorkelling everyday and saw new things every day; we swam with sharks and turtles! You can hire snorkel equipment from the dive shop.
*Scuba Diving- quite a few people who visit Kuramathi try scuba diving or visit due to the scuba diving as it is one of the best in the Maldives. I finished my Open Water course in Kuramathi and done 4 boat dives, this was excellent! I saw Nemo fish, turtles, sharks, moral eels and it is totally different to snorkelling, I would also recommend this as it is a once in a life time experience.
*Deep sea fishing- this is also really good it is 250 dollars for 4 fishers for 4 hours, but we had 6 of us as it is a really good day out! We caught 3 sail fish (huge fish, a type of sword fish) and 2 Wahoo’s, the chef then cooked it in the main restaurant and fed about 200 people for 3 days. This was the best day of my holiday!

All inclusive
*1 Shopping trip to Rashdoo – this is a really poor area and is quite built up in comparison to Kuramathi, it is a 2 minute boat journey and defiantly doesn’t look as nice as the island we stayed on. It is not a tourist island and has a school and shops (all souvenir) it is good to go for a few hours to have a look around. Bartering is appropriate and you can get a few nice gifts. During this trip women and men are asked to cover their shoulders and down to the knee.
*1 Sunset cruise – this is really good but make sure you pick a nice day.
*Free hire of snorkel equipment
*All food and drink- this includes cocktails and Kuramathi is one of the only island that does this.
* You get discounts at other restaurants on the island
*Free tea and coffee in the coffee shop and free cakes and toasties from 3pm-5pm, these are really yummy!

You are recommended to tip the bar staff (if you have one which serves you most of the time), the waiter in the restaurant about 10- 15 dollars a week as they really do try their best to help you, the baggage men who drop your suitcases to your door (about 2 or 3 dollars per suitcase) the taxi man (again about 2 or 3 dollars) You stay at one table for the whole stay and you have the same waiter which is nice as you get to know them. The staff are all really friendly and they are also really lovely to children and our waiter drew my sister a few pictures and made her little toys out of paper.

A few last things:
*Men are asked to cover their shoulders during the evenings.
*Bring a hair dryer and shampoo, as they do not supply these
*Plugs are all English sockets so you do not need adaptors

Overall this is a really really nice place to visit and I would go back now if I could. It is by far the best place I have ever been, and it is suitable for families and couples. I will hopefully be visiting again in the future.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
28 Thank xnickersx
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 31 October 2007

Our stay in Kuramathi Cottage & Spa took place beginning of October 2007. My husband and I chose this place to spend our honeymoon after a long long search. Since we only had 1 week, we wanted everything to be perfect and, to be honest, so it was!

People are extremely friendly (except the attitute of the girl at the reception!) and are at your disposal at any time. Fantastic food (we went on B/B basis) so we were free to try all the different restaurants in the island (I especially recommend the Siam Garden, the Island Barbeque Restaurant and the Indian Restaurant).

Rooms are cleaned twice a day and are very spacious and kind-of-tranditional decorated. We stayed in a water bungalow (nr. 266) and I highly recommend it if you decide to visit this magnificent resort. Wonderful ocean view, peace and serenity, you feel as if you are in paradise!!

Tips:
1)Go snorkeling! (Hiring the equipment for 24 hours costs only 10 usd/person)
2)Do as many spa treatments as you can afford!
3)Bring with you sunblock lotion as the sun is extremely fierce even when its cloudy
4)Generally, Maldives is an expensive place to visit, so bring twice the money you think you're going to need (e.g.: a big bottle of water, that is 1,5 lt, costs 4,5 usd!)
5)Best time to go is between November and April. From May to October unfortunately it rains often and sometimes more than once during the day.

Finally, I trully would like to thank all the people working there who made our honeymoon unforgetable and especially our room-boy Shameem for his kind behaviour and assistance in EVERYTHING we needed.

• Stayed October 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank renapapanik
leeds
Reviewed 25 October 2007

From the moment we arrived the island's staff were relentless in their professional and courteous approach to their guests. Our room was located in the lush island vegetation about a 15 second walk from our own section of beach. The food, for an all inclusive was above average (very good infact) and the drinks were mostly branded spirits and beers, even the wine was nice!

The watersports centre was full of choice and the dive schools were of a very high standard. There are plenty of trips available and for quite a reasonable price.

Avoid the Kandholhudhoo coarl romance trip if you value your health - see my post on this for more info.

Stayed September 2007
7 Thank skymike
uk
Reviewed 24 October 2007

We stayed for a week in a water bungalow for our honeymoon and really enjoyed the stay. The room was lovely, nicely furnished. The bungalows were not really overlooked by others, they are staggered so unless you're hanging over your balcony you can't really see anyone. I think there were a handful of times when we saw our neighbours.

Our waiter was good, very accommodating, arranged our meals at other restaurants. Highly recommend Thai buffet night, also ate at the Grill which was fab. The main restaurant was OK, they alternate between set meals and buffet nights. Buffet nights were really good, the set meals not so good, meat was usually dry and tasteless as it had been sat around for a while. We tended to eat at other restaurants on these nights. However, it was still worth upgrading to AI and then paying for a couple of meals "out".

There are lots of drinks and cocktails included in the AI package and we never had a problem asking for bottles of water. We had a mini bar which was also topped up daily, if necessary, which was also included.

Spa was great, we had a honeymoon massage out on the pavilion, which overlooks the sea, which was extra. Not sure it was worth paying for the extra as of course you can't see anything as you're either face down or staring at the ceiling!! But the sound of the waves rolling was very relaxing. This was followed by a scented bath with sparkling wine and fruit. Lasting over 2 hours, get there half hour before for sauna and steam room and chill out before the massage. Definitely worth the money.

Remember there is a 10% service charge added to EVERYTHING extra.

We had a wonder around the island which took about an hour or so, but we did walk very slowly. Although it is quite a big island we never bumped into many people, it still seemed quite deserted and if you wanted to find a deserted part of the beach you could do very easily. The Village looked a bit basic, the Cottage looked great and we would probably have stayed there but they don't do AI.

We got a speedboat transfer there and back which was fine, no problems, although the lady in front of us wasn't very well!! We'd travelled by sea plane before so didn't mind going by boat. If you haven't done a sea plan before would highly recommend doing at least one journey, either there or back, it is definitely worth it.

The staff were friendly and very helpful. As honeymooners our package included fruit and wine in our room and we had a special dinner in the Lagoon café, which was really nice. I would have liked to book dinner on the pavilion close to the bar but it was in very high demand even though it was a little bit pricey at $160 which didn’t include wine or the 10% extra. Although I think it would be a lovely surprise for your loved one. There is only one couple per night and it looked very romantic.

Monarch really are as bad as everyone makes out, on a 10 hour flight they still make you pay for head phones rental, even though their films are old, poor quality and everyone has to watch on the communal screens. Come on Monarch it's 2007 get your act together.

Slightly annoying things about the resort:
10% to everything
Room boy waking us up every morning even when we put do not disturb on the door!! This may be because it kept on getting knocked off and ending on the floor.
AI drinks, meals etc only applicable to Blue Lagoon area.
No sunbeds, towels on the sand.

• Liked — clean, tidy, well looked after.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank eg1234
Surrey
Reviewed 23 October 2007

My Partner and I decided to book at the last minute to go off to the Maldives on the 16th September this year. As we are getting married in Barbados April 2008, and all our friends will be with us, we decided at the last minute to have an early Honeymoon. We booked through Kuoni for one week to go to Kuramathi Village, which is in the North Atols. The Holiday it self was fantastic, down side, as we booked through Kuoni, we had to fly by Monarch Airways, we were unable to pre book our seats, our flight was at 8pm in the evening but had to get down to the Airport at 9am in the morning to check in, fortunately for us we only live about 1/2 an hour away from the airport, but it was still a pain. Food on the airline was not very nice, the plane was I felt quite old, as you had the drop down screens in the centre of the aisle, which meant you could not watch what you liked, and the airlines choice was terrible. But the transfer from Male airport to our Island, was very good, we only had to wait 1/2 hour for our speed boat to take us to the Island, which took 1 1/2 hours, although I thoroughly enjoyed it, my partner suffered a bit with sea sickness, so we decided to get a Sea Plane on the way back, which again was very good. The Island was absolutely fabulous, everything we hoped for, so lush and green, packed with lovely Palm trees and the sea was so blue. The Reception, Bar, and All Inclusive restraurant were situated in seperate buildings with thatched roofs around the site, so you had to walk to each one, which was great, they had diving facilites plus a compression chamber , with a doctor on site, so its ideal for people who like scuba diving. We had a standard room, which was just a few steps from the waters edge, which was lovely, the room had more or less everthing you needed, the bed was a bit on the firm side, and there was not really any large draws to put your clothes in, but as we were only there for a week it was fine. The room was cleaned twice a day, and the towels changed every day. The people were lovely, very kind and helpful, our luggage was taken and collected from our rooms, so there was no worry about having to carry suitcases to and from the jetty. The All Inclusive package was only at the Village, we found the food to be very good, and if you wanted to try something different, there was a three other resturants on site you could try ,and they gave you a voucher with 15% discount of your meal. if you went the Palm Court, which was about 10 minutes walk away to use their facilities you had to pay for drinks and meals, you also had to pay about £7 each to use the pool and the gym for a week, which we thought was cheap, they also had Spa facilites if you wanted to spoil yourself. The only place that had sun beds was at Palm Court around the swimming pool, they do not have sun beds on the beach, as they feel it will spoil the beauty of the beaches. If you walked another 10 minites up the Island you came to another tiny resort , which I am not sure what it is called, but again you had lovely rooms on the beach, and such wonderful views, it is just like you see in the brochures, once again this was not an All Inclusves Resort, so you had to pay for drinks and meals. We went on an All Inclusive package, to Kuramathi Village, which was why we had to pay if we went to Palm Court or the other resort at the top of the Island. Before I forget the Island is only about 1 mile long, and they have little buggies that can take you from one resort to the other all through the day and evening if you don't feel like walking. We Will definately go back again. A Wonderful holiday and experience.

13 Thank loopylyn
Singapore
Reviewed 23 October 2007

We stayed 4 nights in Mid-Oct, in a Water Bungalow. It's our first visit to the Maldives but I gave it 5* rating as it met our expectations in terms of a great water bungalow as well as excellent snorkelling from shore without having to join any snorkelling excursions.

Likes:

- Great Room, especially the balcony overlooking the sea. Excellent place to read or just relax and hide from the mid-day sun. Room, albeit a little aged, was clean and in good condition; the wooden flooring and balcony is still classy IMHO. Yes, fish swim right under the water bungalows!

- Excellent Snorkelling! Short swim to reef drop-offs, abundance AND variety of fishes (easily 50+) even when close to shore. We did not explore all marked snorkelling channels but 2 of our fav spots are the channel beside WB #231 and the blue lagoon pavilion jetty, where the sting ray feeding takes place. Amazing!

- Large Sized Island - nice to be able to walk around and explore a little. The sandbank at the end of the island is a nice place to watch the sun set. (use google earth to get a very detailed look at the island).

Dislikes (nothing major, just nit-picking):

- Bathroom: Tiles! Deco is basic and a poor match to the rest of the room. Makes bath time 'non-paradisy'.

- Beach: We searched in vain for a nice stretch to toss a freesbie. There are several nice spots for sun-bathing though.

- Dinner: It was alternate between theme buffet and set dinner during our stay. Buffet nights were good in terms of quality and selection but set dinner nights were kind of disappointing.

Kuramathi was our 2nd choice (behind Komandoo), but overall, it was a great 1st trip for us.

• Liked — Direct access to sea from own balcony
  • Disliked — Bathroom deco
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DivingBeetle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
Veligandu Island Resort & Spa
Gangehi Island Resort
Gangehi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!