“Amazing Kuramathi - 5* without a doubt!”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was our first trip to the Maldives and we took the advice of the Flight Centre travel agents who all recommended Kuramathi and we were not disappointed!

We took a chartered fight which wasn’t the best (limited in-flight entertainment etc) and then took the boat instead of the sea plane but this was all fine and the reception we got more than made up for it. We were instantly met on this beautiful island with wet towels and drinks while we booked it which didn’t take long at all.

Room
We opted for the beach villa which looked exactly as it does on their website. It was huge and the outdoor shower was not as scary as we thought it might be. All the other bathroom facilities are inside with the shower being outside but with a covering. We had a DVD player and an ipod docking station which was handy to play some music in the room and also charge our ipods. Fresh towels are delivered everyday for both the room and beach which was really appreciated. The room was cleaned daily and kept spotless. They replenished our drinks everyday and they noticed which ones we were drinking (spite and coke) and by the third day just stocked us up with what they knew we wanted!

Food and Drink
We ate in the main restaurant near reception and had Iqbal as our waiter - he was so attentive and made our trip so much fun. The food was great, a different theme every night and so much to chose from that we were glad we didn’t upgrade our food package as it really wouldn’t be worth it. Drinks at dinner were house wines and beers (no cocktails) but that wasn’t really a problem. The bars were all really well stocked and branded spirits were included in the price (though premium could be charged for - though this was clearly marked on the menu) Bar staff were again so attentive and remembered our drinks when we went in each night. This is a much better experience of all inclusive than other hotels as its not just local spirits plus it really is all inclusive all day and night. Bar staff told us that they go home when the last customer does!

Beach and Sea
Although this is an island, we had no problems finding things to do each day - mainly snorkelling! The beach is lovely and sandy so no need for rubber shoes walking into the sea. We found a great snorkelling spot just to the right of the jetty (if looking out to sea) where there were an abundance of fish as well as white and black top reef sharks. We even saw rays and turtles which was incredible. We did an introduction to scuba diving which wasn’t great and we saw more snorkelling. We did meet people who learnt to dive there and can imagine they saw amazing things. We did try snorkelling from the beach near the water villas one day but found the seabed covered in rock and coral and the waves too rough so retreated back to our usual spot. Snorkels and fins are free to hire by the way but check them before you leave the dive shop - the lens fell out of my mask on the first day and they tried to charge me to replace it! I explained that it was an old and not very well maintained mask so they relented and gave me a new one for free. If you have your own, i would suggest bringing it.

Trips
We did do the sunset cruise which was free and lovely though rather long. We didn’t take up the free trip to another island to shop as we were too busy enjoying the snorkelling!
We did arrange to go on the coral romance trip however which was lovely. We had a water villa there which was huge and had amazing views across the water. We had a free snorkelling guided trip where we saw more rays and turtles and then had a couples massage which was so relaxing. Would definitely recommend this trip just for the experience of staying on a tiny almost deserted island (could walk around in 10 mins) and also for the water villa if you haven’t already booked one.

Cons!
Well, there really aren’t any! If I was to be really picky I would say all the beach villas aren’t all on the beach – ours was quite set back in a garden type area but it only took about 60 seconds to walk to the beach so that wasn’t really an issue. There are also no sun loungers however there is nothing stopping you from putting your towel on the sand (they get replaced everyday) plus there is so much amazing sea life we barely sat on the beach anyway! Also, we used their phones to call home – huge mistake – to the UK its $5 a minute so be warned!

Overall, this was one of the best holidays we have ever had and would love to go back. It is not a 4* resort - it would easily be a 5* and all inclusive really means it here so bear that in mind when you look at the prices!

Room Tip: Beach villas are great because they are huge but be warned not all are on the beach!
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ladybug2000Uk
Write a ReviewReviews (4,102)

Reviewed 20 September 2011

Everything about both the resort and Kuoni s organisation was superb. I would strongly recommend the Select all inclusive option. This enables you to eat anywhere and anytime. Two of the restaurants serve all day. The food was excellent and the choice with the select package superb. I think if you only ate in the allocated restaurants that the choice would become boring. Superior jacuzzi beach villa was excellent with the totally private jacuzzi getting the sun for four hours a day and the sea about 15 paces away.

The restaurants near main reception are particularly good and the Island BBQ prawns and steaks take some beating.

As a single female traveller I felt absolutely safe here and the staff were all friendly and made me feel "looked after".

The only negative was the particularly uncomfortable Sri Lankan Airways flight. If you decide to go business class, do it from the off. I found it impossibly difficult to upgrade a couple of weeks before the flight and gave up. Wish I hadn't!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 20 September 2011

From the moment you arrive to the moment you depart you feel like you're part of something special. The island itself is idyllic and at times you feel you have it all to yourself, it's so easy to find a empty beach all to yourself and lose yourself. The whole setup is just well managed with great attention to a completely stress free experience and a comforting ecocentricity. The a la carte restaurants were easily booked and the food is superbly crafted, steaks flambéd at your table, fresh and succulent seafood galore and enough vegetarian options to keep my wife happy for a fortnight. Entertainment is cycled so you can choose from a lively or sedate evening everynight. The staff are attentive, efficient, happy and really seem proud of their island.

We were in a Jacuzzi Water Villa and felt we were in the lap of luxury, the villa was very private, had ipod dock, large tv (lots of English language channels and live premiership footy!), an expresso machine, a delightful bathroom, and descending down the steps of your expansive deck and snorkelling in the reef, which was 10 yards away, was a magical experience.

All in all this was a superb resort and with a few minor tweaks, and I really mean minor, it would be absolute heaven on earth.

My advice to the future visitor would be:
- Book Select All inclusive, if you end up paying for things it will get very expensive;
- If it's in your budget treat yourself to the Jacuzzi Water Villa - an indulgent experience;
- Go Snorkelling... especially on the reef, truly amazing!!!
- Splash out on the Seaplane, apart from being very cool, it only takes 20 minutes as opposed to the 1.5hr boat trip and at the end of a long flight you'll appreciate this.
- and finally ladies... don't take your heels!!! My wife spent the fortnight barefoot!!!

We'll definately be going back!!

A

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My wife and I spent a week on Kuramathi as the second part of our 30th Anniversary holiday. Our first week was spent touring Sri Lanka where we stayed in five different locations over the week. After a busy week, we thought we’d go somewhere where we could simply relax and do nothing for a few days. We took a flight from Colombo to Male and transferred to a Trans Maldivian seaplane for the 15 minute flight to Kuramathi. We recommend the seaplane option. It’s something you won’t often get an opportunity to experience and it’s a lot quicker than the boat alternative (about two hours). The weight restrictions meant that one of our bags came on the flight after ours, but it was only a thirty minute delay.
The island is wonderful. There are teams of maintenance workers toiling away almost 24-7 to keep the appearance as pristine as possible. You’ll see them, but they are never in your way. If you love white sand beaches fringed with palm trees and turquoise and blue seas; this is the place for you.
We stayed on the reef side of the island in a water villa with a Jacuzzi. The build quality is high and the furnishings were perfect for our needs. We selected Kuramathi because it offered variety with its bars and restaurants. We didn’t want to eat in the same place for a week so selected the package that allowed us to use the six themed restaurants as well as the main one. While we were there, we managed to try them all, returning to our favourite, the Sian Garden (Thai) for a second night. All of them were excellent.
We thought that the down side of staying on a larger island would mean that it would be crowded, but how wrong we were. We were amazed by how much time we could spend on our own without seeing anyone else.
The staff were great and responded to all our requests promptly and politely. We were sad to leave at the end of our holiday, but were very happy with our decision to go to Kuramathi. If we went back to the Maldives at anytime, we’d probably go to another island, but that’s because there are many to see and we generally don’t go on holiday to a place we’ve been to before. We can, however, recommend Kuramathi as an excellent example of Maldivian hospitality. The Maldives have a reputation for honeymooners but it’s a wonderful location for any celebration, including a Pearl Anniversary.

Room Tip: The island used to be divided into three resorts. It is now just one, but the accomodation in the mi...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We have just arrived back from a 2 week stay at Kuramathi for our wedding anniversary & it was fantastic. We got the speed boat there & back which was an experience. My husband was not too well on the way out as the sea was very choppy but on the return the water was like a lake. So still & calm that he was fine. Took 90 mins which goes really quickly.

We were lucky enough to be upgraded from the Beach Villa that we had booked to the Superior Beach Villa with Jacuzzi. If you can request a room then to us 131 was perfect. It was approx a dozen steps to the beach (reef side so great for snorkeling) & a 5-10 min walk to Haruge (our designated restaurant). The room was clean, modern & had everything you would need. The guy that cleaned our room daily was lovely & did an excellent job in making the room up each day.

We heard a lot of hype about how you must do the Select All Inclusive. Well we decided to do the Basic AI and that was brilliant. Every night in your designated restaurant is a theme so its not the same each night. We found this great. We did try the Island BBQ Restaurant once (was not very good service, however the food was amazing. We were let down by the service). We also tried for lunch the Italian & had a pizza. Would recommend if going for lunch maybe share a pizza as they are quite big for 1 person. Also the ice cream is out of this world, so smooth & creamy.

We didnt really use the swimming pools as spent most of the time on the beach so went snorkeling. Did briefly use the inland pool, this was nice & not too crowded. Sat beside the Infinity pool although my husband did use it once & that was nice but more crowded.

We booked to have a massage. We decided on the Pearl Harmony couples massage. It was really good. We arrived approx 30 mins before to make use of the sauna, steam room & pool then had an hour full body massage & then an hour in a fragrance bath for the 2 of you. This was $180 for 2, well worth every penny (or cent). The only thing I was not to keen on was as I am quite insecure about my body I felt awkward having to take my swimming costume of infront of the ladies massaging me & then to have parts of me expsosed as we were on the open air pavilion & people are sitting alongside the beach so may have seen (well I think the could have done). I would recommend doing at least 1 massage to have the experience.

A must also is see a sunset but make sure you go to the sand spit as this makes for a brilliant view.

We are so sad to have left the island & return home but are now looking forward to being able to recommend the island & return again very soon.

Thanks Kuramathi for the holiday of a lifetime!!! :-)

Room Tip: If you are planning on doing a lot of snorkeling maybe request a room on the reef side as that is wh...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I spent an incredible week here and got lucky with the weather. Kuramathi is the perfect perfect place to unwind. There is something for everyone, whether you seek quiet and stillness as I did or a more active social holiday. The resort was full and, as in other reviews, I found myself wondering where everyone was hiding during the day. If you want company there are plenty of beach areas that seem quite popular, but hardly crowded. If you don't then it is easy to seek out a place where there may be just 1 or 2 others or nobody else at all. My favourite place to swim and sunbathe was a little cove right up near the spa. Hardly anyone walked up that far, the view is food for the soul and you can watch the birds, fish and also the sea planes landing and taking off in the distance. Plenty of exercise can be had through walking the paths and trails each day. A walk to the sandbank is a must, standing at the very end of it facing the vast expanse of Indian Ocean reminds you that we are just a tiny speck in this world.

As a solo traveller, I never felt awkwared being on my own and I really appreciated the extra time the restaurant staff took to chat with me at meals. All the staff from the managers to the gardeners had a smile and hello and were incredibly helpful - from my room boy pointing me to the best bit of beach, helpfully including the villa number it was in front of, to the front office staff updating us every 10 minutes on departure day when the sea plane was delayed. The resort and rooms were very clean and well maintained. Full Board package - I appreciate good food and thought the quality and variety were excellent. This is a fantastic 4* resort that knows and performs in it's niche supremely well and justly prides itself on its 5* service standards. I had high expectations of Kuramthi and it exceeded them all.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicola404
Reviewed 16 September 2011

This was our first trip to the Maldives, so we carefully researched before choosing Kuramathi...and what a perfect island.
We travelled by sea plane transfer to the island (which was a fantastic experience and gave great photo opportunities) and speed boat back (which was a pleasant journey, not too choppy).
The staff are very friendly, and are there to make your stay more enjoyable; some of them really do go the extra mile for you.
The food is divine, our favourite restaurants being Reef, Island Barbeque (must try the steak diane!), and palm; the indian reataurant is also very nice. We would recommend the select all inclusive package, we felt we certainly made good use of this, and it was great to be able to freely choose different places to eat for lunch and dinner, and to know we could go back again to try different meals; also we found no trouble in booking the restaurants.
The weather; yes it rained once or twice, though mostly over night and normally short lived, but tempreture was around 34 degrees for most of our 14 night stay, and although we spent a lot of time snorkelling and doing other activities, we still came backed well tanned.
The wildlife is amazing, everytime you go out of your villa you will see fruit bats, geckos, garden lizards, crabs and a variety of birds, and the coral is so abundant with reef fish, you will see different species every time. We were new to snorkelling at the start of our holiday, but come the end we had seen almost all the reef fish, and we were thrilled to see dolphins, and manta rays up close on snorkel trips as well.
The villas were beautiful, we stayed 7 nights in jaccuzzi beach villa and 7 nights in jaccuzzi water villa; both were stunning and not far from sandy beach, but the water villa was something else! Privacy to all the villas (beach and water) is very good. We stayed in 91 (beach villa) and 272 (water villa) and loved them; the location of 272 on the end jetty of the water villas was fantastic.
The spa was great, we went for 3 differnet treatments as we enjoyed it so much; very relaxing!
All in all we couldnt put fault to any part of our trip, the island is so beautiful and even being fairly large, it is still a very relaxing and quiet place to be. We are already wishfully planning a return trip!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
19 mi away
21 mi away
W Maldives
W Maldives
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!