This was our first trip to the Maldives and we took the advice of the Flight Centre travel agents who all recommended Kuramathi and we were not disappointed!
We took a chartered fight which wasn’t the best (limited in-flight entertainment etc) and then took the boat instead of the sea plane but this was all fine and the reception we got more than made up for it. We were instantly met on this beautiful island with wet towels and drinks while we booked it which didn’t take long at all.
We opted for the beach villa which looked exactly as it does on their website. It was huge and the outdoor shower was not as scary as we thought it might be. All the other bathroom facilities are inside with the shower being outside but with a covering. We had a DVD player and an ipod docking station which was handy to play some music in the room and also charge our ipods. Fresh towels are delivered everyday for both the room and beach which was really appreciated. The room was cleaned daily and kept spotless. They replenished our drinks everyday and they noticed which ones we were drinking (spite and coke) and by the third day just stocked us up with what they knew we wanted!
Food and Drink
We ate in the main restaurant near reception and had Iqbal as our waiter - he was so attentive and made our trip so much fun. The food was great, a different theme every night and so much to chose from that we were glad we didn’t upgrade our food package as it really wouldn’t be worth it. Drinks at dinner were house wines and beers (no cocktails) but that wasn’t really a problem. The bars were all really well stocked and branded spirits were included in the price (though premium could be charged for - though this was clearly marked on the menu) Bar staff were again so attentive and remembered our drinks when we went in each night. This is a much better experience of all inclusive than other hotels as its not just local spirits plus it really is all inclusive all day and night. Bar staff told us that they go home when the last customer does!
Beach and Sea
Although this is an island, we had no problems finding things to do each day - mainly snorkelling! The beach is lovely and sandy so no need for rubber shoes walking into the sea. We found a great snorkelling spot just to the right of the jetty (if looking out to sea) where there were an abundance of fish as well as white and black top reef sharks. We even saw rays and turtles which was incredible. We did an introduction to scuba diving which wasn’t great and we saw more snorkelling. We did meet people who learnt to dive there and can imagine they saw amazing things. We did try snorkelling from the beach near the water villas one day but found the seabed covered in rock and coral and the waves too rough so retreated back to our usual spot. Snorkels and fins are free to hire by the way but check them before you leave the dive shop - the lens fell out of my mask on the first day and they tried to charge me to replace it! I explained that it was an old and not very well maintained mask so they relented and gave me a new one for free. If you have your own, i would suggest bringing it.
We did do the sunset cruise which was free and lovely though rather long. We didn’t take up the free trip to another island to shop as we were too busy enjoying the snorkelling!
We did arrange to go on the coral romance trip however which was lovely. We had a water villa there which was huge and had amazing views across the water. We had a free snorkelling guided trip where we saw more rays and turtles and then had a couples massage which was so relaxing. Would definitely recommend this trip just for the experience of staying on a tiny almost deserted island (could walk around in 10 mins) and also for the water villa if you haven’t already booked one.
Well, there really aren’t any! If I was to be really picky I would say all the beach villas aren’t all on the beach – ours was quite set back in a garden type area but it only took about 60 seconds to walk to the beach so that wasn’t really an issue. There are also no sun loungers however there is nothing stopping you from putting your towel on the sand (they get replaced everyday) plus there is so much amazing sea life we barely sat on the beach anyway! Also, we used their phones to call home – huge mistake – to the UK its $5 a minute so be warned!
Overall, this was one of the best holidays we have ever had and would love to go back. It is not a 4* resort - it would easily be a 5* and all inclusive really means it here so bear that in mind when you look at the prices!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in Rasdhoo Atoll , Kuramathi Maldives is 1.8 km in length and tapers to a pristine stretch of white sandbank, lending a dramatic quality to the idyllic surroundings of turquoise lagoons, tropical jungle and flora. Catering to all budgets, 12 distinct choices of villas are on offer, ranging from the individual Beach Villas to the idyllic Water Villas with Pool. A splendid pick for families and friends travelling together is the Two Bedroom Beach house. Savour exquisite dishes from 12 superb restaurants catering to diverse taste buds. Sip exotic cocktails in the 7 bars located in beautiful settings around the island. The island's vast size opens up to a wide range of activities. Immerse in therapeutic healing at Kuramathi Spa as we revive the holiday psyche. Younger guests find thrilling options at Bageecha Kids club, featuring fun and educational experiences. There is something for everyone on this paradisiacal haven that embodies Maldives in a natural setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Kuramathi Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kuramathi Island Hotel Kuramathi
- Village Hotel Kuramathi
- Kuramathi Village Hotel
- Kuramathi Cottage Spa
- Kuramathi Island Resort Maldives