“Paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Oslo, Norway
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed two weeks in a superior beach villa with jacuzzi. This villa type was so lovely- very spacious, clean, relaxing, and very private. Great amenities, even a beach bag was provided. Our villa was located on the reef side, about 15 steps from the beach. We would have had an ocean view but for vegetation in the way. I really didn't need the ocean view, we spent most of our time either on the beach on the lagoon side, snorkeling, or at one of the restaurants/bars.

We had All inclusive upon arrival, as our travel agent did not offer Select all inclusive as a choice. After a week we were thoroughly sick and tired of buffet eating (the food was fine, just repetitive), so we upgraded to Select. Although expensive, this was well worth it. The Island BBQ is great, and became our favorite. The Italian restaurant is also good. We normally had lunch in the buffet restaurant by reception, as it was so conveniently located right by the beach.

The staff at kuramathi were very friendly and helpful, all smiles! We were first time snorkelers, so really appreciated the shops with snorkeling gear and the Eco center, which had lectures about different marine topics, and taught us a bit about the dos and don'ts of snorkeling.

Snorkeling was excellent, but unfortunately it was too windy almost half the time we were there. We were told it was the windiest time of year (mid january), but that it was usually not so bad. Nevertheless, we were extremely lucky with the weather, we only had one daytime shower while we were there. This may account for the luck of not getting a single mosquito bite. Early february is apparently the best time to visit- dry and not windy.

We went on the Sunset cruise, and have some spectacular photos from that, but seeing the sunset on the sandbar was wonderful, and much more romantic.
We also really enjoyed the Stingray feeding, although I understand this practice is somewhat controversial. It was thrilling to see them up close, and as it attracted a lot of other wildlife as well, it was a lot of fun! I also thought movie night on the beach was really nice.

We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chos_19

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (793)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012 via mobile

When trying to decide where to go for our honeymoon all the usual beauty spots come to mind. Both me and my wife have travelled all over the world and so have become quite hard to please when it comes to holidays.

We decided to only book 10 days as I was worried that I would be bored if we stayed any longer. This turned out to be a massive mistake as I could of stayed there for a month at least.

The island itself is one of the largest in the Maldives but at no point did you feel that it was in anyway crowded or unsecluded, most of the time it felt like we had the place to ourselves. The beaches are the cleanest and most beautiful we have seen anywhere in the world and the diving and snorkelling just off the beach really is breathtaking.

The food was amazing and unbelievably varied for an all inclusive. The all inclusive restaurant's put on different themed nights to try and cater for everyone and the selection is great. We were lucky enough to be on the all inclusive select package which means you can eat at numerous restaurants on the islands ranging from seafood, Indian and the my personal favourite the island barbecue which is simply one of the best places I have ever eaten (the steak Diane is a must!).

Just to round it off the rooms are spacious and furnished in a modern yet cosy way and the staff can honestly not do enough for you.

If you are trying to decide which island to visit then I could not recommend the Kuramathi highly enough. My advice is get it booked you will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Startup0123
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

We spent 10 days on kuramathi. Booked with Travel Designers (Sherrie) who gave fantastic service and a very good deal. We flew with BA, again impressed with service enjoyed the meals and complimentary drinks throughout the flight. The kuramathi seaplane lounge at Male was very nice, we had a half hour wait and enjoyed complimentary juice and snacks whilst waiting. Seaplane flight was uneventful, took 20 minutes.
Kuramathi is a large island with plenty of very well kept vegetation, we were taken to our DBV 343, right next to Laguna bar, buffet restaurant and Reef restaurant and approximately 10 minutes walk from sand bar. The room was a good size for 2 people, a little dated but well positioned at the quieter end of the island. We had a small intimate beach with shade provided by palm trees if needed. The room was kept spotlessly clean, the fridge in room topped up daily with a good selection of soft drinks and plenty of water. There was a turn down service every evening.
I would say that the beach for the DBV below 343 was wider but not as intimate, I would not recommend 354 as it had no beach at all just a muddy area outside, and looked quite dilapidated, 355/356 on stilts over water with no access to sea.
We booked select AI which was fantastic, with 6 A la carte restaurants to choose from the food was fabulous and service excellent, and there were a good selection of house wines served by the bottle. Our favourite restaurants were the Island BBQ and The Reef.
We enjoyed lunch at both the Palm and the Island coffee shop on a couple of occasions, I would recommend Pizza at the palm and the steak sandwich at Island coffee shop.
The island is large but has a bus service running regularly up and down the island, we found we enjoyed the walk as the gardens are lovely and it was nice to watch the fruit bats and walk off the huge meals! The reef was good although quite a way out to the drop off from DBVs and the current was quite strong near the JWV, we did see lots of sharks, spotted ray and lots of beautiful fish however the turtles avoided us. We saw dolphins on the sunset cruise which was fantastic. Mosquitos didn't appear to be a problem but I did get lots of bites on my feet ? Sand fleas/ ants but bite zapper was brilliant!
The pros of a large island is that there is plenty to do if you want, variety of entertainment, bars restaurants, places to walk, swim but you are able to avoid them if you don't.
The service in the bars was sometimes slow but the waiters were always friendly and polite.
I think the island is a good all rounder with something for everyone; live band ( The Wood) were excellent, cinema on the beach
under the stars, beautiful sunsets from the sand bar, fantastic snorkelling aquamarine sea and white sand- paradise!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank segal1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

We visited kuramathi for two weeks October 2012. We stayed in a delux beach villa, upgraded by kuoni for booking early. This holiday was mainly to celebrate my wife's 50th, but was also my birthday whilst we were there.

Every single aspect of this holiday was perfection. The villa was spotlessly clean, bed lovely and comfortable, outside shower a real treat.

We were al la carte all inclusive, recommend this, we ate in all restaurants in the evening just using buffet for breakfast and lunch, our favourite was the island BBQ, although the reef came a close second. Our favourite bar was the laguna, a nice chilled atmosphere and much quicker service than the bars at other end of the island.

We didn't use golf buggies to get a round as the island is so pretty with lots to see, wildlife and vegetation, so we found a nice stroll to walk of all the lovely food a good idea. Also I'm not much of a dessert fan usually, well by the second week we were having desserts at lunch and dinner! The beach right outside our villa was peaceful with great views. We even saw dolphins swimming past early one morning, a real highlight.

The best thing for us was that it was real luxury without being pretentious, really relaxed non stuffy atmosphere.

We would definitely love to return having caught the Maldivian bug!
Watching a film on bean bags under the stars was a great experience, also just laying on a sun lounger at night looking up at the stars, it doesn't get better than that! Worth every penny!

Room Tip: Room 329 has good size beach outside
3 Thank Joanne R
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

So we decided on the Maldives for the first leg of our honeymoon, I was a bit sceptical as we always go to the states ! I was concerned about being bored. We were advised to go to this island as my husband is a vegi and allergic to nuts so having a bigger island with the select all inclusive would be easier for us. The arrival and the sea plane were fab, we chose a water jacuzzi villa and so glad we paid the extra as these are detached and seeing all the other villas even the other water villas I was glad of the seclusion of our villa. The room was kept immaculate. The food was fab, although we had a few issues with the nut allergy issue (if you have allergies keep on top of the questioning as even though it was in our details, my husband was served nuts once, and some waiters could not understand us enough to guarantee the nut situation) we had an issue with the fact that we were told that all the bars would stay open till the last person left, but we felt pushed out and asked to drink up on 2 nights, which I felt was wrong considering the money we had spent and what we had been told. Also the staff at some bars were not the friendliest. The sunset cruise we got included was not the greatest, no talking by anyone, staff or passengers (I know some people, including us were on honeymoon, but a smile is free, some really miserable people on this island) the snorkelling was amazing and we saw sharks, octopuses and some amazing fish, really enjoyed this. We did scuba for the first time and it was fab, our instructor Sebastian was fabulous and a great teacher, we met our first and only lovely people on this course. Movie nite was brill and well worth doing (apart from some rude people talking all the way through) the buggy rides were great and a welcome addition when it's too hot to walk. Take a trip to the sand banks (what a majestic view) also don't miss the stingray feeding, an awesome experience to witness. The spa staff were very friendly, although we didn't manage to book in for a treatment. All in all this was a fab start to our honeymoon, with a few niggles, which pailed in comparison. I would definitely come to the Maldives again, but would like to try a different island to compare.

Room Tip: Water jacuzzi villa all the way !
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

We just returned from Kuramathi after spending 12 nights of our Honeymoon there. We chose the island as we wanted to be able to eat and drink in a number of restaurants and bars and also so that we could ineract with other guests and have a bit of a laugh.
We spent the first 4 nights in the Honeymoon Pool Villa which was incredible! It is a bit pricey but only a fraction of the price that a similar room would cost in other resorts so we thought it was great value for a few nights, and we were on honeymoon so why not! The Villa is on the Lagoon side of the island, set just back from the beach but with your own private pool we found little need to go to the beach at all. It is also centrally located so every part of the island can be walked to within 10 minutes. If you are considering one of these villas I would highly recommend it, even just for a few nights.
We spent the other 8 nights in a Water Villa with Jacuzzi which we also loved. Stepping off the deck to go snorkelling was one of the reasons we wanted to go to the Maldives and this room was perfect for us.
I can't say enough good things about the staff here either. I should say that I am a travel agent so I may have received preferential treatment but I got the impression that everyone was treated like us, at least I hope they were. We were so well looked after from the very beginning. From the early check-in that they gave us to the room they allowed us to stay in till 4pm on our last day while we waited for the sea plane to arrive, nothing was too much hassle. I must also add that I didn't even ask for these things, before I got the chance to they were offered to me.
I would definitely recommend the Select All inclusive as the buffet food did not seem too appealing. We only ate there for breakfast a couple of times before we went diving and once for lunch on our last day. If I was to eat 3 meals a day in the same restaurant, at the same table for 12 days I'd lose the will to live. The A La Carte restaurants are superb, particularly the Island BBQ with the often mentioned Steak Diane. The Thai and Indian were also very good but the Reef, which is apparently the most popular, is only OK. The setting is superb but in my opinion the food was not as good as the other places. The wines that they offer in the restaurants are also quite nice which I wasn't expecting, 5 reds, 4 whites and 4 rose. The wine that they offer at the bars however could substitute for paint stripper - you've been warned!
Beer on draught is Carlsberg and San Miguel with Fosters available in cans and Corona is available although not on the All inclusive. There are a whole host of cocktails and spirits available too with the vast majority available on AI including Stoli, Bombay Saphire, Jameson etc.
The final thing I'll say about the island is that it is remakably quiet for a resort that holds 600 guests. We were told that the place was 95% full but you hardly ever bump into people during the day when walking about or on the beach so it has the air of a smaller, more private resort but you know if you go to the bars there will be plenty of people there for a chat.
We loved this place and would definitely return but there are far too many other lands that we have to explore first!

Room Tip: Splash out for the Honeymoon Villa if you can, even for a couple of nights
1 Thank Mantaman82
kings lynn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed here in June for 2 weeks A la Carte AI in a deluxe beach villa and it was truly excellent. This was our second visit to the Maldives in 10 years and I can't wait to go back and hide there for my 40th in Sept 2014 I just wish we could go every year. The food at all the a la carte restaurants is superb and so if the island coffee shop if you just fancy something simple like a Burger or fish 'n chips for a change. We liked the location of our villa but they do need a bit of updating to make them as luxurious as the deluxe jacuzzi villa we stayed in on arrival and if we were upgraded to one of these next time I would stay in it as whatever area you want to be in you will still have to get the fun bus up and down the island its unavoidable but you soon get used to it. We used the gym 8 times and this was very good and quiet and only a 5 min walk from our room and the Laguna was 2 second walk from our back door! We found the staff here very good and also it was very quiet apart from the stingray feeding sessions. I was personally terrified of the thought of going into the water with sharks. I think I was imagining jaws coming at me out of the blue but the first time one casually swam past I was in awe of it and just tried to take a photo. After that I couldn't get enough of them unfortunately my underwater digital camera leaked and my backup one died after 3 days so I feel robbed of the photos I could have had. If you are not a super confident snorkeller I would say just go straight in off the main reception jetty as its was usually very clear and you are straight at the reef edge and all the fishes are there waiting. I only tried the snorkelling off our room a couple of times but it was a long way out to the flags and the jetty was much quicker and easier. Our kuoni rep was also excellent and the use of the lounge on arrival and travelling with ba made the whole holiday on another level compared to any we have had before it even made the price of the holiday worth it and even quite a bargain for the food and the great selection of cocktails ! Just be warned if you go you will have to go back its just that kind of place. See you Soon Kuramathi!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank zebedee1974
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island
Gangehi Island Resort
Gangehi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!