“Totally Amazing Place”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We got back from Kuramathi on October 2nd 2012 after spending 14 amazing nights in what must be one of the most perfect holiday destinations in the WORLD! This was our Honeymoon and we couldn't have chosen a better place to go. After a few of our friends recommended Kuramathi and having done our research we booked in mid 2012 and flew mid September. Travelling from Gatwick to Dubai to Male was a long journey but well worth it, we decided to opt for the speed boat transfer to the island over that of the sea plane and even though it was a choppy crossing (and took 90 minutes) it was still OK (we even beat the people that waited for the sea plane!). From the minute we arrived to the moment we left the local people who run the resort couldn't do enough for us. They are amazingly polite, always saying hello as you walk past and are constantly cleaning/tending the island making it the wonderful place that it is. We chose the Select All Inclusive package and stayed in a Beach Villa, both perfect choices. The choice of restaurants on the island is superb, the food is world class, our favourites were The Reef (which serve just the best seafood options, freshly caught with amazing flavours and presented on a plate like you were eating at The Ivy in London!) and The Island BBQ (STAKE DIANE IS A MUST!!!!). The wine selection on the Select All Inclusive package is brilliant as is the huge selection of tasty cocktails and service provided by the staff across the whole of the island is just brilliant. The beaches, sea, trees, flowers, wildlife and everything else is like we just stepped into an imaginary world but it’s all real. The snorkelling was mind blowing in terms of the marine life and clear turquoise blue waters...(you must buy an underwater camera at the airport!)...The weather was brilliant every day, totally blue skies, very warm and at night the sky comes alive with bright stars and big moon!! Every day it seemed like the island was half empty as nowhere is ever busy or packed (but we found out that the island was almost at full capacity). The Palm and the Island Coffee Shop for lunches = mmmmmmmmmm and don’t forget to have an ice cream every day, we didn’t! We were so sorry to leave but if I can help anyone make a choice about where to go on a trip of a life time then it's easy...KURAMATHI all day long!!....We can't wait to go back, cocktails, great food, surroundings that are straight out of a picture book, beautiful sea, beeches with pure white sands, sea life out of a Disney film, food that makes you want more and more and more and my beautiful wife to share it all with me....adapting an old Arnold saying "We'll be BACK!!" =0)

Room Tip: Chose food/drink "Select All Inclusive" over rooms as all the rooms are brilliant!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Spencer P
Write a ReviewReviews (4,058)

Reviewed 31 October 2012

This was my first trip to the Maldives, and by far the most extravagant holiday that I have ever been on.

30 degrees at night, and god knows what the temperature was in the sun, all I know is that had to keep on going in the see every 20 mins to cool down.. Not that it helped that much, it was like bathwater!!!

Loved lying on the beach, watching the beach moving below me, cute hermit crabs going about their business, camouflages & speedy sand crabs zooming about, Herons all over and baby reef sharks and other fish right in the shallow wash. The place is out of this world. Pictures truly do it no justice whatsoever.

We stayed in a Beach Villa with Jacuzzi for 7 nights and a Deluxe beach villa with Jacuzzi for 5 more nights, and cannot fault them. Very clean, top spec electrical (bar the rubbish hairdryer) and the rooms cleaned once a day, then turned up in the evening.

Mini Bar Stocked with all non alcoholic drinks daily. (don’t forget to fill in the form daily, or it won’t be re-stocked.

Went select all inclusive, and my only disappointment was the Indian restaurant, as it was average food wise, that said, I only had one dish, so maybe i chose badly, or it just was not for me. The island BBQ was our fave, and the Thai was my second best.

Service is almost always very good, I chose to tip as I went, so about $5 after evening meal, a couple of dollars after lunch, and a couple for the bar staff on final bill. Gave the room boy $10 on arrival and $10 on exit.

We were always able to book a table, there was no problems, if you are flexible with your times, sometimes the earlier slots were fully booked. but that was fine.

Always sun beds available, if you keep walking, and there are lots of areas where you can be all alone. if you’re not so close to the bars.

Sand Bar was our usual evening haunt, but we tried all the bars except the cigar bar, as this was not included on the all inclusive.

Enjoyed the dolphin chase on the sunset cruise and watched them playing with the waves the boat was making.

The snorkelling is amazing and Mrs H, originally being scared of the sharks was fine after a couple of swims. Photos do the snorkelling no justice whatsoever. Fish everywhere..

It only rained a couple of time during our stay, once in the day for a couple of hours and twice in the evening. Suddenly the wind picks up and the heavens open a few mins later giving you time to seek shelter. The temperature does not change and it is still roasting.

I could write about it forever, but dont have the time.... so in summary, all in all, best holiday ever and I cannot recommend it enough.

9  Thank Howardmcfc
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We went for our honeymoon, and WOW what an amazing choice we made. It was pure paradise.

Seaplane transfer – Im not the best of flyers, I especially hate take off and landing, but the seaplane was amazing. It was very gentle taking off and landing and the views where stunning. I would take the seaplane again in a heartbeat so to all those nervous flyers, don’t worry! Took about 15 minutes.

Spilt content of your suitcase - One of our suitcases had to come on a later seaplane (as they can only take so many due to weight restrictions) but this arrived only an hour after we did so it wasn’t too bad. I would recommend that you spilt your clothes over two suitcases though in case this happens to you.

Weather - As we were travelling at the end of the rainy season (1st -11th October), I was really worried that our honeymoon would be a total washout. I couldn’t have been more wrong. It was sunny and hot, around 30c during the day, and around 28c in the evening. Out of 10 days, we had 1 day that was overcast and rained a little. We also had 2 rain showers that lasted about 15 minutes on another day and then it was clear blue sky.

Accommodation - We stayed in a Jacuzzi Water Villa and can highly recommend it. They were very private with your own sun terrace with sun beds and steps that lead down into the sea. The room boys restock the minibar in the room and the coffee machine and clean the room twice a day and in the evening they spray mosquito replant. The mosquito’s do not carry disease so no need for vaccinations before travelling.

The plugs in the room are 3 pin the same as the UK and they provide a couple of adaptors.

All Inclusive Select meals - The restaurants are AMAZING, the food is such a high standard, that its worthy of any top London restaurant. We had All Inclusive Select which meant we could eat in any of the alacarte restaurants on the island. This is well worth booking before you go, as if you only have the basic All Inclusive, your meals are in the buffet restaurant (still good food but not as good as alacarte) and you will be charged for all other meals in the alacarte restaurants which are expensive. There are 6 different alacarte restaurants serving different food. Our favourite was the Island Barbeque.

Cleanliness – The island is spotless, the rooms are spotless, the restaurants and bars are spotless! Even the sea is crystal clear!

Staff – The staff were fantastic. They made an effort to remember you and to have a chat about your day. They were so attentive, making sure your wine and water glass was always full, and service was quick and always with a smile.

Spa - We also visited the Spa for a couples massage. We choose to have this on the jetting out at sea which was beautiful.

Sunset – Best view for sunset is at the tip of the Island near the sandbanks. Sunset in October was at about 17:45pm.

Taxi buggy’s – There are a number of golf buggy taxi’s so if its too hot to walk or you have had one too many at the bar in the evening, you can get a lift back to your room!

Towels – These are provided for the pool and the beach so you don’t have to take your own.

To sum it up, I wish all holiday’s could be this good.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi Watervillas are worth every single penny. The view is to die for and they are in the middle...
11  Thank Kelly S
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We were full of expectation for this trip especially after reading other reviews on TA , and boy were they met. Everything about the place is beautiful, from the seaplane transfer ( a Must ) to the island itself. We have never been anywhere with such a different variety of flora and fauna, from the many fruit bats, hermit crabs ( everywhere !), rats, yes i'm afraid we did see a few but don't worry they are not over running the place to the full kaleidoscope of fish in the stunning clear and warm ocean which surround the island.
We stopped on the Lagoon side of the island in a Deluxe Beach Villa with Jacuzzi which was just about perfect. We were in room 222 which is adjacent to the Honeymoon Suites and so perfectly positioned. Our only gripe was that the day bed provided in the rear garden / Yard was a bit grubby and for the majority of time un usable as when it rained it got soaked and absorbed water like a giant sponge. Not a deal breaker i know but a point worth mentioning. The outdoor shower was a winner though and going through the shower routine whilst watching bats and geckos is a little surreal. When we stepped outside our villa it was little more than a few steps to the beautiful beach which was extremely quite and most of the time we had a fifty yard stretch all to ourselves. The snorkelling is unbelievable and the variety of fish stunning. Yes, the reef side of the island is better but you need to be a better / stronger swimmer on that side. My wife is not that good a swimmer but enjoyed looking at the fish on the Lagoon side just by wading in up to waist height. There are fish everywhere you look and within 10 minutes of arriving we were very excited to see our first shark. If you want to get a flavour of what to expect just go on Youtube and type in Maldivian reef fish, you won't be disappointed.
We were on the select all inclusive package which is recommended as prices are steep. We ate at all of the restaurants and had no trouble getting in to any. Our favourite was the Island Barbecue which did the the most fabulous steaks . We did feel the service was very fast though with little time given between courses.I think the staff finish when they have served the last guest and are so are a bit keen. A tip to get into the restaurants which we didn't realise immediately is that you can book at any of the three receptions and not just the main one. we used to go for breakfast and then book the next days restaurant on our way out. we were allocated the Malaafaiy restaurant for our breakfast / lunch which is good with friendly service. We did find the service in some of the bars to be a bit slow and some of the staff to be surely and even rude on the odd occasion particularly in the Dhoni bar. We certainly felt like some of the staff disapproved of us drinking alcohol as it conflicts with their faith. On the whole though the majority were ok but it only takes one or two to take the edge of things.
The island is about 1 mile long and you can easily walk from one end to the other at a leisurely pace. If you don't fancy walking there is a good buggy service which runs around every 10 minutes or so. Treat yourself and walk a little though as the gardens / Jungle are beautifully kept and worth studying. Certainly go and watch the Stingray feeding which occurs every night at 18.30 just outside the Farivalhu restaurant and the Laguna bar which was our favourite. You can get some stunning photos here at sunset.
Overall we loved the place and would happily go again although there are so many islands to choose from we may visit another next time. You will not be disappointed. If you are about to go , well , i'm very jealous. Enjoy.

Room Tip: We thought the Deluxe beach villas which we were in were the best as the postion on the lagoon side...
6  Thank oiafan
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Writing this a bit late...
We enjoyed three weeks in April at the Kuramathi resort.
What an amazing three weeks!!
The rooms:We had a garden villa no 82 which was brilliant, very clean and air con was lovely, the outside shower was fabulous. Daily you can stock up the fridge with water, lemonade or coke.
The Food: we was on Basic All inclusive and worried after reading the reviews about it being best to be on Select but honestly the food was just lovely every day a different theme,fresh and tasty.
The Staff: we never had a problem with any of the staff all where friendly and helpful and all chatted easily.
The Spa: I had two Indian Massages and Oh my goodness! did they hurt but I did have a few knots in my shoulders? the prices I found where a bit steep?
The Snorkeling: WOW..WOW..WOW ! we saw every fish possible, swam with 7 rays, a moray ell, octopus, turtle and of course all the white and black tip sharks! (at first a bit uneasy but like anything you get used to them and forget they are there)
Diving: We had a really bad experience with the dive instructor we went out with and complained about the service, plus the day of our dives it was not clear so bit disappointed but the snorkeling twice sometimes three times a day made up for it.
The Drinks: lovely Cocktails not skimped on the alcohol at all sometimes I had to ask to hold back the vodka or Rum!
The entertainment: not loads but enough, the resident group The Rock...Oh my goodness! just amazing!! the lead singers voice, my husband and I both said if Simon Cowell got hold of him he would be a star?
So if you are thinking of the Maldives and Kuramathi PLEASE PLEASE dont put off and go and book, it is so worth it, it is a taste of Paradise, take it from someone who has been.
Only one negative......
When you get anything in the Shops you pay service charge, not any real service being done as you are serving yourself and just taking it to the till to pay?

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jayne79
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Our expectations were pretty high for our visit to Kuramathi after reading other people's reviews and boy were they met! I literally could not find fault with this resort. The Island is beautifully maintained, the staff are happy in their work and friendly without being overbearing and the food was of a very high quality, especially the ice cream at The Palm!
I'd advise anyone to take lots of insect repellent and use it at all times, even during the day. Mosquitoes are plentiful due to the lushness of the Island.
We had the select all inc package which I would definitely recommend, it was excellent value as it meant we could eat and drink as much as we liked anywhere without additional charge. The restaurants are so good you will not want to eat in the buffet every day.
Don't miss out on the snorkeling either - we saw more variety than anywhere we've been before.
We went with Kuoni which I'd definitely recommend for the lounge access on the return.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe beach villa which was just brilliant. Step out of your room and straight onto the b...
5  Thank IOMUnderwood
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My husband and I went here for 2 weeks in April 2012.

Transfer:
We booked the boat transfer on the way to the resort and upgraded to the seaplane on the way back. After a long flight from the UK waiting 3 hours for our boat in the airport 'cafe' was exhausting. I would highly recommend getting a seaplane transfer as you have a dedicated lounge to wait in which is air conditioned and somewhere to relax, the airport cafe after a long haul flight is not much fun at all! However, once our boat arrived it instantly felt like the kind of holiday you would expect from the Maldives. Smiling staff gave us cool wet clothes to freshen up along with a cold bottle of water. The boat ride was very relaxing; we saw one dolphin and nearly everyone feel asleep.

Food / Resort / Staff:
The resort is beautiful, all the staff we encountered were very friendly and the food was excellent. We went for the select all inclusive and this is completely worth the money in my opinion even if you do not drink alcohol. We tried the buffet option twice during our stay and the food there was average with some above average options - the buffet doesn't hold a candle to any of the restaurants on the island. Our 2 favourites were the Island BBQ and the Palm. We did try all of the restaurants and they were all excellent but we just favoured the locations of the Island BBQ for dinner and the Palm for lunch. We also had many tasty lunches and breakfasts at the Island Coffee Shop, I tried the fish curry for breakfast and we kept going back for more each morning, the best curry I have ever tasted and perfect before a long day of snorkelling. If you don't go select AI you will be missing out. I was initially against the idea of spending more money for the select AI but my husband insisted and I am glad he did because it made the holiday feel that much more romantic and luxurious, you will not regret it.

Beach/snorkelling:
FANTASTIC reef, I was thoroughly impressed and have never seen anything like. A huge house reef that is wide and long with a massive drop off into the ocean where schools of tropical fish hang like shower curtains. Breath-taking.

The ONLY thing I could remotely complain about is that this is a busy resort, the beaches are busy, you can find quiet spots but you need to walk much further up the island towards the sand bar. We have only ever been to one other resort in the Maldives (Kuredu) and Kuramathi blows Kuredu away, apart from the fact that at Kuredu no matter where we went on the beach the nearest people always seemed to be way off in the distance. Kuramathi does not feel like that.

Entertainment:
We spent most evenings at the Sand Bar, they changed the entertainment nightly and for the most part we found ourselves singing along and enjoying it. There was a really good DJ on the last night and my husband decided to get up and dance to Katy Perry's firework, although the long island ice tea's may have helped with that! Movies under the stars was very romantic and even though they weren't current blockbusters we enjoyed it.

Overall, I would go again, we were well fed, sun-kissed and experienced high levels of customer service. It was an amazing, stress free 2 weeks in the sun.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ArianaR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
19 mi away
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island
Gangehi Island Resort
Gangehi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!