“Stunning Island holiday”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Me and my wife holidayed here and had an amazing, quite, slow, peaceful, stunning holiday, the hotel was a bit basic but nice, but the sea views made for it, the food was ok a bit basic but ok, we will be back one day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marchcouple

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic island & I've actually been here twice. Once for my brothers wedding in 09 and for my own honeymoon in 2013. The locals on the island are fantastic & it's just a dream place to be. Try and get the deluxe beach bungalow because it's at the better end of the island.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KeremGokce
Reviewed 11 June 2014

On arrival to the island after 14 hours travelling, we were greeted with cold drinks and face towels to freshen up. After a quick welcome message from our travel agency, we were soon on the buggy up towards our room – 324. (Deluxe Beach Villa)

As we were travelling on the buggy and dropping a couple off at their room, we were amazed at the colours of the plants, and the wildlife that seemed to live on the island. When we got to our room, we were shown in and immediately appreciated the air conditioning!
We were here on honeymoon too, which was made evident by the bed being decorated in petals shaped in a love heart and with other decoration on the bed. A nice appreciative touch I thought.
The room itself was a perfect size. The bathroom was great, and we especially liked the outdoor shower – somewhere we frequented several times a day. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had some very good nights sleep listening to the waves hitting the beach – Although beware! When a coconut drop and lands on the roof, it can be a bit startling in the middle of the night, although we found it quite funny when it did happen too!
As you leave the room and walk onto the veranda area, you soon realise you really are in paradise, with your own beach, complete with palm trees white sand and the beautiful sea. In fact, on our first day we had a baby black tip reef shark swimming in our area. Stunning.

It was soon time for Lunch, which was in the buffet restaurant assigned to us. On arrival for the first time, you are shown to your table which is your table for the duration of your stay – this is so you deal with the same waiter and can build a relationship with them – and consequently feel like you’re getting better customer service. The food in the buffet restaurant is good. We were happy to eat there everyday for breakfast and lunch – although we were on the All Inclusive Select option, which meant we could eat at other food establishments for lunch if we wanted to (we took advantage of this and ate at the Palm a few times).
If you go to Kuramathi, you must go AI Select. It opens a load of options up for you. We ate at an A la Carte restaurant everynight and found the food to be amazing quality and extremely well presented with fantastic service. Our favourite restaurant was the Reef. Fresh fish and great cooking – whilst enjoying the view across the atoll and watching the crabs and heron on the beach.

The facilities on the island are good, albeit the buggy always seems to be going in the opposite direction that you need it to be going – although this is more my luck than anything else! The dive centre was fantastic. The dive sites around the island delivered everything we needed. The dive guides were also really good and considerate of divers less experienced. All in all, glad we went diving with Kuramathi (rasdhoo divers). The swimming pool on the island is so refreshing too, and with the beach less than two minutes walk for pretty much everyone on the island, the swimming pool is never too busy. (there are two pools, we just used the one near to us)

I could write forever about this wonderful island, but it would never do it justice. All I can say is we had the most amazing time of our lives – made even better by the people working on the island. If we could go back, we would – in fact we are, I just put a pound coin in the Kuramathi Piggy Bank!!

Room Tip: 324 - Deluxe Beach Villa (South West side of the island - near the water villas)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jamie_Cartwright
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I wanted to celebrate our 1st anniversary in style before thinking of starting a family and decided the Maldives would be perfect.
We wasn't sure what hotel to choose so took the advice of the Kuoni rep in branch and booked Kuramathi for 7 nights departing end of April 2013.
We booked the direct flights with BA which were brilliant - on time, comfortable and good film selection for economy.
We had a speedboat transfer on the way to the island, which admittedly we would not do again. It took an hour and 30 mins and you can’t really see very much once you have gone past Male.
Upon arrival at the hotel we were amazed at how idyllic it was; absolutely perfect.
We were greeted with a cool juice drink and a nice short welcome speech. Unfortunately our room was not ready when we checked-in and had to wait about an hour for it to be made up.
We finally got to our room (No.76) which was a beach villa - lovely room a couple of metres from the beach on the lagoon side of the island. The air-con was not working but staff had it fixed within a hour.
We decided to upgrade to the Select AI option rather than upgrade on the room since you don't really spend too much time in your room.
We were allocated the Hurage buffet restaurant where we ate every morning for breakfast and only twice for dinner. We ate in the Island Coffee Shop every day for lunch and the food was lovely - recommend the deep fried catch of the day and the Bolognese. In the evenings we tried The Palm, Island BBQ, Tandoor Mahal and Siam Garden - all of which were gorgeous and booked the day before without any trouble or unavailability. The great thing about the al ‘a Carte is the wine by the bottle - my husband and I both like the Gallo White Grenache Rose wine back in the UK and were very surprised to be able to have this included at no extra cost. The average bill for a meal in an al ‘a Carte is circa $200 so well worth the £285 upgrade for the whole week back in the UK.
The island although larger than most was pretty isolated at most times of the day, but even when busier plenty of sunbeds and seats.
The snorkelling was amazing - a good variety with the added bonus of black tip reef sharks. We took our own equipment having snorkelled in the Red Sea last year - but the island have it all available for you to loan free of charge.
The stingray feeding at the Laguna Bar is a must along with plenty of visits to the sandbank at the top of the island.
Kuoni offered us a complimentary sunset cruise on our penultimate night which was lovely - a nice cold glass of bubbles and spotting dolphins were nice touches.
We had one thunderstorm during our stay at around 5pm which last just over an hour - other than that glorious sunshine everyday with temperatures around 32-34.
On the way home we went to the airport by seaplane which was a good experience if not a little hot and stuffy. Views are amazing. The airport itself was better than expected although duty free was not that much cheaper than UK high street so glad I made my purchases at Gatwick.
Overall I would definitely go back to this island and would recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LHS13

Kuramathi
Kuramathi was our 6th visit to the Maldives. I chose this island as it was originally planned for a family holiday with children but my family could not afford the high cost in the end. I also thought my husband would prefer it as it was a large island with plenty of dining options. I did a fair bit if research and decided that a DBV would be the best option for us. As most people cover most topics well I thought I would just highlight the good and bad points for us. I have given Kuramathi 4 stars as we have been to several islands and you cannot help but compare.

The good things for us.
The staff were just the best, they could not do enough for you. In the Farivalhu they were wonderful and so friendly. In all the bars we were served as we sat down we never had to wait. I think they deserve 5 stars.

The Select All inc was great. The drinks were really good, all branded and good cocktails. Wine selection was good too. Restaurant selection was good and I used to book each day 3 days ahead and always got the restaurant we wanted. We enjoyed the Siam Garden and Duniye the most. Our least favourite was the Reef apart from the setting and the Island Barbeque.

The bars, we really liked them all. Nice views, comfy seats, nice atmosphere, great drinks and lovely staff. It was great to walk around the island dropping in to a different bar.

Island was such a beautiful island especially to walk through and around. In places it was spectacular. It was also always immaculate everywhere. The guys that swept everywhere kept the paths clear constantly. Everyday we walked around the island
Snorkelling was reasonable especially down by the Eco Centre and Jetties where we saw the turtles several times. Sometimes it was hard to access the snorkelling channels near our DBV but we did see large schools of fish.

The not so good for us
By far the worst thing for us was the Mosquitos. I was so looking forward to relaxing outside our villa but this became impossible because there were so many Mosquitos about even during the day. We love getting up and having a coffee outside, again fine if you wanted to be bitten. I don't usually suffer that much from Mosquitos and took so much repellant but nothing really worked. We ended up having to go to the other side of the island where we could sit away from bushes. It really did spoil our holiday as we had so many bites which I am sure contributed to my husband feeling unwell for most of the holiday.

Small fruit flies also seemed to be a problem when we eat at the Island Coffee Shop lunchtime and one day there were so many I had to leave my lovely Jack Fish I was eating. Towards the end of our holiday the Palm also starting getting these tiny flies lunchtime.

Our second dislike was our buffet restaurant Farivalhu as it was so dark inside with hardly any sea views and no outside seating. We really did not want to go and eat there but thank goodness for the staff it made breakfast bearable. The food was okay especially the Maldivian night which was the only meal other than breakfast we had there. I suppose all other resorts we have been to have had so much nicer buffet restaurants.

Finally having walked around the island so many times I can honestly say there is no accommodation I really think is in a lovely location as there is always some draw back. Again other islands have been better. The problem always is the accommodation with big islands as it is difficult to get it right.

The snorkelling we did was good but it was very limited to when you could swim out to the reef due to low tides unless you went to the area near the Eco Centre and again we have been to better.

We enjoyed our holiday but I do not think we would return for our reasons above. Unfortunately I chose Kuramathi as my husband was going off the Maldives and I thought this island would be better for him but it actually did the reverse and I will have a hard job to convince him to go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank sueH1
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Me and my partner began our holiday to the kuramathi island resort at the 1st May 14. We had booked over the phone a fantastic free guaranteed upgrade from a superior beach villa to a water villa without jacuzzi. I booked the select all inclusive. Adam, the salesman also asked if this a special occasion. I told him that this was going to be proposal. He said that he would organise with the kuramathi staff to make it special
After nearly 24 hours of travelling we were welcomed to a nice cold drink, a presentation and welcome package.
Soon after we were taken to the room of 214. This was not what we were told we were getting and was in fact the room we were meant to be upgraded from. Very angry, tired, hot, sweating with my pregnant partner, I went to the reception where we spoken to Kuoni rep, she was about as helpful as a banana.
They had no record of us being upgraded to a water villa. After a crackling line back to Kuoni in England, we were told the bad news that Adam had left and that he had actually booked us into a Deluxe beach villa to Superior beach villa. At a cost of £5750 for 10 nights, it turned out not only were we in the wrong room but we had only the basic all inclusive.
In the end we were getting nowhere with the useless Kuoni staff, so I paid $900 and upgraded to the room we had actually booked, with only having to spend a night in the Superior beach villa with jacuzzi. In all fairness the room wasn't bad at all apart from one thing. The toilet is outside. Why on earth anyone would let you have to cr*p outside in 32* heat, I'll never know!
The next day we were taken to our upgraded room (that we should all ready of been in!)
Wow! Room 314. Absolutely fantastic! It is situated on the lagoon side, opposite to where the water villas with jacuzzi were which are on the coral side. If you prefer stunning scenery go for the lagoon side, if you prefer to be snorkelling stay on the coral side of the island. The lagoon side is the more blue, bath tub like water and goes as far as the eye can see. Stunning.
Advise. Without being snobby, make sure you are not on the basic all inclusive package like we were until we got sick of it. It is so basic, you end up only being able to put things on your plate that do not go. Very Samey, and very boring.
After the 4th night of this unspeakable cr@p, basic food, enough was enough. We booked on to the select all inclusive at $120 per night for two where you could eat in the a la carte restaurants.Even though we were supposed to be on this package, we had to upgrade. You can pay for it without upgrading but we found your constantly watching your pennies. The select all inclusive is absolutely amazing. In order the best places to me were: no1) Duna, save this for your last night. 2) BBQ. 3) (not far behind 2) The Palm. 4) Siam garden 5) The Reef 6) tandoori mahal. All very high standard a la carte.
The coffee shop is also fantastic. Very good food for morning/ day time.
Must. Go to the sand bank. Unbelievable! It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. Make sure you go there when it's sunny around mid day. When the sun hits it it is just glowing blue, crystal clear. This is where I proposed, and it was just breath taking. The perfect place! She said yes by the way :D
One little pick, not the end of the world. There's not enough buggies driving around. Sometimes you can be waiting 25mins for them. It's a massive island so walking so far nicely dressed up can be a real chore. And waiting for them in humid hot weather isn't nice.
The free complimentary half hour massage is 10/10. Highly recommend.
All in all, we had an absolutely amazing time. Apart from paying through the nose to get there, but that was Kuoni's fault. The staff are very friendly and helpful. (That doesn't go for the Kuoni staff). With upgrading and whatnot I'd give the island a 9/10. Before we upgraded etc a 4/10. Kuoni on the other hand will never get any business from me again. With nothing sorted and not even one apology I am disgusted with them.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Dominic J
Reviewed 10 June 2014

You can reach Kuramathi Island resort either by sea plane or by speed boat. Taking a sea plane will of course be the more expensive option, but it will give you a unique, amazing flight over some of the Maldives' beautiful islands.

You are welcomed onto the island with a refreshing tropical drink in a modern, open reception area with a paradise like atmosphere, surrounded by palm trees.
Kuramathi is one of the biggest resorts in the Maldives with 9 restaurants and 6 bars. And although that may sound large and less idyllic, the way the resort has been set up with its lush vegetation makes you feel as if you are on a perfect, unspoilt tropical island. The different bars and restaurants give you the option to choose a different place to eat and drink almost every night, with a completely different atmosphere in each of them.

You have 9 different types of villas to choose from, ranging from a simple but comfortable 'Garden Villa' with 45m2, grouped in blocks of 4 villas, to the most luxurious 'Honeymoon Pool Villa' of 310m2 with a private pool, jacuzzi and all the luxury the Maldives is famous for.

The resort offers a lot of activities, a good Spa, a gym, a tennis court and a Kids Club. Because of the size of the resort, the different restaurants and bars and the wide range of facilities, to me Kuramathi is one of the best resorts to spend a longer holiday because there is enough to keep you entertained. It also has great beaches to just sunbathe and relax.

Kuramathi is a great 4-star resort and good value for money.

Room Tip: That really depends on your budget but all rooms are good. A water villa would be the type of villa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island
Nika Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kudafolhudhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!