“Honeymoon Heaven!”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We went here in March 2014. The weather was perfect, the hotel amazing, the choice and quality of food, brilliant and the staff, extremely accommodating and friendly. We choose Kuramathi because of the variety of restaurants and bars and we were so glad we had. This was as quiet as we like it and we couldn't imagine an island with one or two bars / restaurants to be appealing to us. We we glad we had made the choice to go here as it was quiet when you needed it to be but you could still have a few drinks and a dance if you wanted a (slightly) later night.

The house reef is great and full of marine life. The island is about 2k long so it is a nice walk and they operate buggies for those too lazy to walk!

Top top: go platinum all inclusive. It pays off in the end and saves a lot of hassle.

We stayed in a water villa and loved it but would equally have loved the standard beach front villas. Surprisingly the Honeymoon villas weren't on the sea so we choose not to stay in one of these.

Would we return.......? Yes, in a heartbeat!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Matt_Timmins
Write a ReviewReviews (4,057)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband and I spent 6 nights on this beautiful island for our honeymoon.

The island itself is just beautiful, white sandy beaches and warm turquoise seas. It is very well kept and clean.

We stayed in a beach villa at the bottom end of the island. The accommodation was lovely, spacious and clean with a large, comfortable 4 poster bed, bathroom and outdoor shower which was different and quite enjoyable!
It also had a large outdoor terrace area with a bench and 2 sun loungers.
It was a very short walk to the beautiful beach which had a large open area and then many small, more secluded areas with plenty of sun loungers available.

The snorkelling equipment was good quality and free to use for the duration of your stay, we collected ours the day we got there and just returned it at the end of our stay. We stuck mostly to the beginner areas for snorkelling and saw some amazing sealife, sharks included! We did find it hit and miss with the conditions though, one day the sea was just too strong to swim easily and another time the water was too shallow over the coral to reach the reef.

Other water sports are available which we did not take at vantage of, having spent 6 days touring Sri Lanka we were more interested in relaxing but there is plenty to do if you need it.
We did do the sunset cruise which was an enjoyable hour out at sea with a couple of glasses of sparkling wine but unfortunately didn't see any dolphins.

The staff were friendly enough but I wouldn't say they went above and beyond or treated you all that special which was a stark contrast from the service we received in Sri Lanka. Mildly disappointing but didn't really affect our stay

The food, oh the food! If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to upgrade your package to the select all inclusive - this allows you to eat at all of the restaurants, any time. We did this a couple of weeks before we flew out as a last minute decision but it was the best one we made! If you are on the basic package you will get 20% off but our bills were totting at least $150 per meal.
We were assigned a buffet restaurant at the beginning of our stay, where you get assigned the same table and waiter for the duration. I think they're going for a more personal feel to your stay but considering my point about the staff, we didn't really feel this. We only ate in there for breakfast and this was only for a few days during the week because, while there was nothing particularly wrong with the food, the same choices day in day out can become a little tedious. They do have different themes for dinner each night though.

We didn't try all of the restaurants but The Palm was by far our favourite. They had an extensive menu and all of the dishes we tried were delicious. We also ate here for lunch on a few occasions. And they have an excellent ice cream parlour!
We also tried The Island Barbecue (the steak Diane is a must, for experience alone), The Reef where we ate catch of the day and Tandoor Mahal, the Indian restaurant, where we received the best service during our stay but you must ask for your curry to be cooked with the heat you enjoy, I think they play it safe with the tourists and ours was considerably lacking spice although tasted lovely. We didn't have a bad meal the whole time we were there.
The island cafe is also great for lunch, they do an excellent Maldivian fish burger and the best coconut shrimp I've ever had.
You can only take cans of beer and sealable bottles of wine back to the room with you so you need to stock up if you like a good drink in your room. The cocktails in the bars are amazing.

Other things we did which I would highly recommend would be the couples massage - while this was on the expensive side at $280, it was a wonderful experience. The spa is beautiful, the massage room we had was on the end of a jetty in the middle of the sea, totally open with the waves lapping underneath you and the massage was excellent. They even take you back inside to a beautiful bath with fresh fruit and sparkling wine afterwards. Just warn your husband or boyfriend about the disposable pants, they are tiny and see through which was quite hilarious.
And movie night under the stars was lovely, they put a screen up on the beach and surround it with bean bags which was a lovely experience. Unfortunately ours got rained off half way through the film but that's our fault for visiting in rainy season!
The sting ray feeding at the top of the island is well worth a watch, you can do this on returning from watching the sun set on the sand bank which is definitely a must - so beautiful.

On that point, the weather - I was starting to worry a little after speaking to a few people about the fact it was rainy season but that really was wasted energy. Day one and 2 were bright blue skies and hot sunshine, day 3 was overcast with a few rain showers lasting about an hour in the afternoon and we also had the most almighty thunderstorm during the night, I'm fairly sure the rain continued until the early am but then days 4, 5 and 6 were beautiful and sunny again. I think we experienced rain one morning but by the time we got up it had stopped, and just a couple of other showers lasting no more than 10 minutes. And even when it did rain, it was still so warm you just didn't care.

You will get eaten alive by Mosquitos. Don't believe the rep when she tells you you only need to wear repellent in the evenings as they spray the island daily, the day I did this I was absolutely covered! But even with repellent, I still got bitten so just stock up on after bite as whatever you can get from the island doctor costs $18.

We chose to tip at the end of our stay but you do need to give the bag porter $2 per bag on the first day. We gave $20 in The Palm as we had eaten there most frequently and left $10 for our room boy. I would have given more to other staff if we had had it but unfortunately didn't have enough cash. Any extras you spend will be charged to your room which we settled with a credit card at the end of our stay. Just be wary, they put a service charge on everything, even the gift shop.

If you have booked this resort you have made an excellent decision and should be in for a holiday of a lifetime.

Room Tip: The beach villas with jacuzzi looked amazing, really good location and we kinda wished we had booked...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Smh26
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Me and my wife holidayed here and had an amazing, quite, slow, peaceful, stunning holiday, the hotel was a bit basic but nice, but the sea views made for it, the food was ok a bit basic but ok, we will be back one day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marchcouple
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic island & I've actually been here twice. Once for my brothers wedding in 09 and for my own honeymoon in 2013. The locals on the island are fantastic & it's just a dream place to be. Try and get the deluxe beach bungalow because it's at the better end of the island.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KeremGokce
Reviewed 11 June 2014

On arrival to the island after 14 hours travelling, we were greeted with cold drinks and face towels to freshen up. After a quick welcome message from our travel agency, we were soon on the buggy up towards our room – 324. (Deluxe Beach Villa)

As we were travelling on the buggy and dropping a couple off at their room, we were amazed at the colours of the plants, and the wildlife that seemed to live on the island. When we got to our room, we were shown in and immediately appreciated the air conditioning!
We were here on honeymoon too, which was made evident by the bed being decorated in petals shaped in a love heart and with other decoration on the bed. A nice appreciative touch I thought.
The room itself was a perfect size. The bathroom was great, and we especially liked the outdoor shower – somewhere we frequented several times a day. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had some very good nights sleep listening to the waves hitting the beach – Although beware! When a coconut drop and lands on the roof, it can be a bit startling in the middle of the night, although we found it quite funny when it did happen too!
As you leave the room and walk onto the veranda area, you soon realise you really are in paradise, with your own beach, complete with palm trees white sand and the beautiful sea. In fact, on our first day we had a baby black tip reef shark swimming in our area. Stunning.

It was soon time for Lunch, which was in the buffet restaurant assigned to us. On arrival for the first time, you are shown to your table which is your table for the duration of your stay – this is so you deal with the same waiter and can build a relationship with them – and consequently feel like you’re getting better customer service. The food in the buffet restaurant is good. We were happy to eat there everyday for breakfast and lunch – although we were on the All Inclusive Select option, which meant we could eat at other food establishments for lunch if we wanted to (we took advantage of this and ate at the Palm a few times).
If you go to Kuramathi, you must go AI Select. It opens a load of options up for you. We ate at an A la Carte restaurant everynight and found the food to be amazing quality and extremely well presented with fantastic service. Our favourite restaurant was the Reef. Fresh fish and great cooking – whilst enjoying the view across the atoll and watching the crabs and heron on the beach.

The facilities on the island are good, albeit the buggy always seems to be going in the opposite direction that you need it to be going – although this is more my luck than anything else! The dive centre was fantastic. The dive sites around the island delivered everything we needed. The dive guides were also really good and considerate of divers less experienced. All in all, glad we went diving with Kuramathi (rasdhoo divers). The swimming pool on the island is so refreshing too, and with the beach less than two minutes walk for pretty much everyone on the island, the swimming pool is never too busy. (there are two pools, we just used the one near to us)

I could write forever about this wonderful island, but it would never do it justice. All I can say is we had the most amazing time of our lives – made even better by the people working on the island. If we could go back, we would – in fact we are, I just put a pound coin in the Kuramathi Piggy Bank!!

Room Tip: 324 - Deluxe Beach Villa (South West side of the island - near the water villas)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jamie_Cartwright
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I wanted to celebrate our 1st anniversary in style before thinking of starting a family and decided the Maldives would be perfect.
We wasn't sure what hotel to choose so took the advice of the Kuoni rep in branch and booked Kuramathi for 7 nights departing end of April 2013.
We booked the direct flights with BA which were brilliant - on time, comfortable and good film selection for economy.
We had a speedboat transfer on the way to the island, which admittedly we would not do again. It took an hour and 30 mins and you can’t really see very much once you have gone past Male.
Upon arrival at the hotel we were amazed at how idyllic it was; absolutely perfect.
We were greeted with a cool juice drink and a nice short welcome speech. Unfortunately our room was not ready when we checked-in and had to wait about an hour for it to be made up.
We finally got to our room (No.76) which was a beach villa - lovely room a couple of metres from the beach on the lagoon side of the island. The air-con was not working but staff had it fixed within a hour.
We decided to upgrade to the Select AI option rather than upgrade on the room since you don't really spend too much time in your room.
We were allocated the Hurage buffet restaurant where we ate every morning for breakfast and only twice for dinner. We ate in the Island Coffee Shop every day for lunch and the food was lovely - recommend the deep fried catch of the day and the Bolognese. In the evenings we tried The Palm, Island BBQ, Tandoor Mahal and Siam Garden - all of which were gorgeous and booked the day before without any trouble or unavailability. The great thing about the al ‘a Carte is the wine by the bottle - my husband and I both like the Gallo White Grenache Rose wine back in the UK and were very surprised to be able to have this included at no extra cost. The average bill for a meal in an al ‘a Carte is circa $200 so well worth the £285 upgrade for the whole week back in the UK.
The island although larger than most was pretty isolated at most times of the day, but even when busier plenty of sunbeds and seats.
The snorkelling was amazing - a good variety with the added bonus of black tip reef sharks. We took our own equipment having snorkelled in the Red Sea last year - but the island have it all available for you to loan free of charge.
The stingray feeding at the Laguna Bar is a must along with plenty of visits to the sandbank at the top of the island.
Kuoni offered us a complimentary sunset cruise on our penultimate night which was lovely - a nice cold glass of bubbles and spotting dolphins were nice touches.
We had one thunderstorm during our stay at around 5pm which last just over an hour - other than that glorious sunshine everyday with temperatures around 32-34.
On the way home we went to the airport by seaplane which was a good experience if not a little hot and stuffy. Views are amazing. The airport itself was better than expected although duty free was not that much cheaper than UK high street so glad I made my purchases at Gatwick.
Overall I would definitely go back to this island and would recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LHS13

Kuramathi
Kuramathi was our 6th visit to the Maldives. I chose this island as it was originally planned for a family holiday with children but my family could not afford the high cost in the end. I also thought my husband would prefer it as it was a large island with plenty of dining options. I did a fair bit if research and decided that a DBV would be the best option for us. As most people cover most topics well I thought I would just highlight the good and bad points for us. I have given Kuramathi 4 stars as we have been to several islands and you cannot help but compare.

The good things for us.
The staff were just the best, they could not do enough for you. In the Farivalhu they were wonderful and so friendly. In all the bars we were served as we sat down we never had to wait. I think they deserve 5 stars.

The Select All inc was great. The drinks were really good, all branded and good cocktails. Wine selection was good too. Restaurant selection was good and I used to book each day 3 days ahead and always got the restaurant we wanted. We enjoyed the Siam Garden and Duniye the most. Our least favourite was the Reef apart from the setting and the Island Barbeque.

The bars, we really liked them all. Nice views, comfy seats, nice atmosphere, great drinks and lovely staff. It was great to walk around the island dropping in to a different bar.

Island was such a beautiful island especially to walk through and around. In places it was spectacular. It was also always immaculate everywhere. The guys that swept everywhere kept the paths clear constantly. Everyday we walked around the island
Snorkelling was reasonable especially down by the Eco Centre and Jetties where we saw the turtles several times. Sometimes it was hard to access the snorkelling channels near our DBV but we did see large schools of fish.

The not so good for us
By far the worst thing for us was the Mosquitos. I was so looking forward to relaxing outside our villa but this became impossible because there were so many Mosquitos about even during the day. We love getting up and having a coffee outside, again fine if you wanted to be bitten. I don't usually suffer that much from Mosquitos and took so much repellant but nothing really worked. We ended up having to go to the other side of the island where we could sit away from bushes. It really did spoil our holiday as we had so many bites which I am sure contributed to my husband feeling unwell for most of the holiday.

Small fruit flies also seemed to be a problem when we eat at the Island Coffee Shop lunchtime and one day there were so many I had to leave my lovely Jack Fish I was eating. Towards the end of our holiday the Palm also starting getting these tiny flies lunchtime.

Our second dislike was our buffet restaurant Farivalhu as it was so dark inside with hardly any sea views and no outside seating. We really did not want to go and eat there but thank goodness for the staff it made breakfast bearable. The food was okay especially the Maldivian night which was the only meal other than breakfast we had there. I suppose all other resorts we have been to have had so much nicer buffet restaurants.

Finally having walked around the island so many times I can honestly say there is no accommodation I really think is in a lovely location as there is always some draw back. Again other islands have been better. The problem always is the accommodation with big islands as it is difficult to get it right.

The snorkelling we did was good but it was very limited to when you could swim out to the reef due to low tides unless you went to the area near the Eco Centre and again we have been to better.

We enjoyed our holiday but I do not think we would return for our reasons above. Unfortunately I chose Kuramathi as my husband was going off the Maldives and I thought this island would be better for him but it actually did the reverse and I will have a hard job to convince him to go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank sueH1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
19 mi away
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island
Gangehi Island Resort
Gangehi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Gangehi Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!