“Loved some of it...not quite so sure about other bits!”

Kuramathi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kuramathi
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved some of it...not quite so sure about other bits!”
Reviewed 28 June 2006

My bloke and I stayed at the Cottage and Spa on Kuramathi for 14 nights.... we stayed on a B&B rating to give us maximum flexibility on food choice/restaurant. Our accomodation was a water bungalow and thanks to this site, we requested a bungalow as far from the desalination plant as possible (which when we wandered past it later in the hol was extremely noisey, and would have kept us awake, so thanks for all those pointers, tripadvisors!). Room 265 and beyond seem to be the more secluded water bungalows I think.

Our flight out there with Monarch was fine... we took a sea plane transfer which was delayed by about half an hour due to a re-fuelling mess up, but was well worth the extra dosh. Fab experience.

Our room was nice, but definately a 3 star(ish) room... I say 'ish' as its obviously in a wonderful location, but the fittings weren't exactly luxury, and no real 'wow' factor apart from the surroundings. Very comfortable beds though, and impeccable housekeeping services/cleanliness standards. If the hotel got new towels and robes (the one's provided were old & scratchy, not fluffy), made sure all the fittings and finishes are tip-top and replaced lampshades if they look jaded I think it would have improved things a little.

The breakfast buffet was fine... we always left absolutely stuffed and there is plently of variety. Highly suspect 'bacon' on some days though! Plenty of local fresh fruit, croissants/patisserie and yogurts though if you don't fancy something from the massive hot selection.

Having eaten at every bar and restaurant on the island at least once, I would recommend the La Laguna Bar and Grill for having the nicest food and best ambience (but save for the first and/or last night as its also the most expensive). The Havana Bar near our reception at cottage (go through the Dhoni Bar and its kind of hidden at the back!) is a really smart bar. Nice to have a shisha pipe after dinner with a few glasses of wine. Would be nice if they had live jazz evenings in there...

The food isn't massively cheap (but I live in London, so am used to extortionate prces for food and alcohol!)... some things are a complete rip off though, and it really bugged me by the end of the holiday. Just because you save for a holiday in the Maldives does not mean you want to be treated like a cash machine!

4 dollars for a single scoop of what tasted like ultra-cheap ice cream in the Dhoni bar? 6 dollars for some hairspray in the local shop? I am all for tipping good service, and for paying a fair price for a product, but sometimes it was an insult, and lessened the positive experience by a long long way. Be aware that 10 percent is added to literally everything you buy, so don't feel like you have to tip left, right and centre. You sign for most things so any dollars you bring will be for excursions to shop (fun but nothing extraordinary), tips and for airport supplies/smaller duty free.

Other meals and light lunches were pretty good value, but varied in quality. Village coffee shop did the cheapest snacky food surprisingly. Nothing incredible, but yummy toasted sandwiches, burgers and fairly ok pizzas. Try the nicest lemon ice tea there as a refresher.

On a lighter note, I can heartily recommend the Mongolian BBQ evening... eat lots of small portions though, so you can try every single thing and get the most from the experience. The puddings are the best we had, so why they don't try and and use more of the same in other restaurants, I have no idea.

Service was pretty good (definite difference in Cottage and Village)... though we did have one waiter in The Village who was really rude to us for no legitimate reason (telling us really sarcastically that our drinks were on the way after we casually enquired, having already received our food order). It was so out of the blue, that I kept convincing myself it was a cultural/language barrier, but on reflection I think he just didn't want to be there, despite our smiles and politeness. Fair enough... just didn't tip and made it clear we weren't impressed at the end of the meal, just I would do anywhere else.

Water sports are plentiful as you'd expect when a nation is about 80% water! Plenty of impressive snorkelling by our water bungalow. We didn't scuba dive but have promised ourselves that experince on our next visit to the maldives! Nice friendly water sports guys in centre... small place but plently of choice for everyone.

Had a couple of treatments in the spa... the pearl harmony massage as a couple was really relaxing & fun and I loved getting a pedicure too. Lovely facilities and the staff seemed welcoming.

As for the weather, we had 2 overcast days and one afternoon when it chucked it down over the 14 day period, so the wet season was fine for us. Even on the overcast days you can get burnt badly... its only 4 degrees from the equator, so watch it. Take loads of sunscreen and a some insect repellent (Boots do an aftersun with repellant which is handy). Take a torch, as you do walking at night and although the the island is lit beautifully, there are dark patches with plenty of fruit bats, hermit crabs and tree rats to keep you on your toes!

All in all a really wonderful holiday with nice staff and some incredible scenery...I get the impression from this and other forums though that there are nicer islands to visit. I would have to agree; although it was great, I doubt I would go back to Kuramathi. But with so many other islands to explore, why go to the same place twice?

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
North East England
Reviewed 27 June 2006

We travelled with Kuoni in June 2006 to Karamathi Village resort.Neither my wife or I had been to the islands before and we had gained as much info as we could from web sites like this one etc before we went so we were well versed in the descriptions of flawless sunshine and sparkling beaches-unfortunately there was very little on what happens if the weather is poor as it was for us for half our stay!

Firstly we arrived at Gatwick for our flight to Male which Kuoni had used Monarch Airlines for.When we arrived 14 hrs before the flight left we were told it was likely to be delayed!! However other people who came on the flight were given different excuses as to why the flight was delayed and after a mini passenger rebellion it eventually left three hours late. All I can say about this airline company is that they woulkd give budget airlines a bad name for poor service and crampped conditions.

We arrived there and headed for the speed boat transfer, this was a rough acrossing to say the least most of my fellow passesngers were violently sea sick but it took just under two hours. As I found out the same on my return trip back to the airport in good conditions.

For 4 days it was almost constant rain but on the plus side I was able to experinece a tropical storm which was not mentioned in anyone elses review. During this time there was very little to do except drink in the Fung Bar but after a while this got tedious. We tried to go on a coral romannce trip but this was cancelled due to the weather i.e. the speedboat could not make it out of the lagoon!!

Speaking to others they also found it extermely boring when it was wet as the resort is geared to the weather of "paridise" but not normal monsoon conditions and by the way staff reported that the weather is getting worse each year.

For the last 3 days the sun was shining and was a picture postcard scene and able to experince many of the watersports which I would recommend.

Service on the whole was good with the all inclusive being extremely good value.

Would recommend this resort if the weather was relaible and not using monarch airlines!!

14 Thank honestman21
Leeds
Reviewed 17 June 2006

Stayed here in June 2004 for a week - little late with my review!
This place is amazing and would highly recommend! We stayed in a beach bungalow which was lovely, outdoor shower, 2 steps from the ocean, four poster bed and luxury bathroom! It was soo romantic!
The island is great because it is much bigger than most islands and has more to do. It has three resorts and 3 main restaurants. We were half board but couldnt resist trying all 3 restaurants, thai, indian and laguna grill which were all amazing although the laguna was our fav. We also had some treatments including one together which was romantic.
Overall this is an amazing place and we didnt want to leave - we are planning to go back very soon. STAY HERE!

P.S Would recommend you get the sea plane from the airport as the boat takes two hours and a lot of people were sea sick on the way there which wasnt a great start so we got the plane back - thats the only bad point! Wish I was there now!
email me ; louisecpowell676@hotmail.com if you need further info - have lots of pics!

• Stayed June 2004
9 Thank LouiseandNick
Reviewed 13 June 2006

Travelled to the Blue Lagoon on honeymoon in June 2006 via Airtours. Stayed HB in a beach bungalow.

No use trying to be objective here - I have never set foot on another Maldives resort island. However, we had a wonderful time at the Blue Lagoon.

- the island is apparently one of the larger ones, although is quite intimate at the Blue Lagoon end. The public areas are very well maintained and tended. One person who had been to other islands said she preferred the smaller islands but I nevertheless found the island very beautiful.

Blue lagoon is one of three resorts on the island. I found the cottage club to be roughly similar, although the village looked less appealing (simpler bungalows, worse part of the island).

- the service philosophy is great. Some of the staff (typically the more senior/older ones) live up to it better than others. But we came away impressed with Maldivian hospitality and wishing that other countries would learn a thing or two from them.

- food in the main restaurant was far better than we were expecting. the presentation in particular was first class. shame some of the meats/fish were frozen, although that tends not to be true if you eat at one of the a la carte restaurants.

We found HB fine supplemented by a few snacks during the day. all-inclusive would not have made any sense for us ($60pp per day at the resort) although for real boozers I suppose it could work.

- beach bungalow was very pleasant. no bling (jacuzzis, plasmas) but good 4* quality.

- most days spent lazing around or diving, there is a well-run, friendly PADI registered dive school on the island. diving is wonderful, saw white-tipped sharks, eagle rays the works.

most other guests were from the UK/Germany. Mostly young couples, although quite a few families. Blue Lagoon is quiet, one or two en-ger-land supporters but bearable. work had started on renovating some of the bungalows when we arrived but we found this to be carried out with consideration and this didnt disturb us.

all in all very pleasant, paradise found, and at a reasonable price. worst part of the holiday the jarring 10 1/2 flight to male.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 June 2006

We went for just a week and it was not too far to go. We had a wonderful holiday, everything said previously is true. The restaurant never felt full or busy, the bar was always open. Being a large island but in 3 resorts actually made it feel smaller. The reef was great, sharks!! Mantas, Stingrays, Eels and wonderful fish. We have been to the Maldives before to large and small islands and Kuramathi is up there in my all time favourites. We went on the Romantic Coral Island 2 day trip and if you can afford this just do it. 2 days of luxury and romance on a very small island - sheer indulgance but really worth it. And with one of the best reefs in the Maldives too.

We really loved Kuramathi and would go back again.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
U.K.
Reviewed 29 May 2006

Just back from a week at the Kuramathi Village Resort in the Maldives. Absolutely fabulous, loved everything. We stayed in a beach bungalow in the Village, accommodation is excellent, bungalow cleaned twice per day. We were all inclusive and the restaurant was great, couldn't fault the food, lots of choice. Snorkeled for the first time ever, it was great, amazing. All in all a fabulous place, paradise, can't wait to go back. [-----]

7 Thank noordwyk
England
Reviewed 26 May 2006

I couldnt believe my eyes when the boat landed alongside an island which could only be described as paradise and beyond. The crysyal clear sea was warm and we swam with black tipped reef sharks, (yes, i said SHARKS!!!!!), turtles and the most beautiful coloured fish you could only dream about. The weather was scotching so dont forget the highest factor you can get as it feels like you are being ironed!!!!! The food, although a little repetative, was VERY tasty and there was copious amounts, and the puddings were yummy. The service was excellent. The bar staff are very laid back, which can be misinterpreted as slow, but hey, whats the rush, they will serve you till the last man goes.
Dont take too many pairs of shoes, its either flipflops, or nothing. It feels really weird going out at night, all dressed up, appart from no shoes, but when you feel the soft sand under your feet, and after a few G&T,s, who cares!!!!!!!
Anyway, if you have any questions you want to ask me feel free to email me amandabrett2@aol.com

• Stayed May 2006
12 Thank amandabrett2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuramathi
Kandolhu Maldives
#1 of 1 in Halaveli Island
Nika Island Resort & Spa
Nika Island Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Kudafolhudhoo Island

Been to Kuramathi Island Resort? Share your experiences!