“Awesome experience”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mandaue
Guam, Mariana Islands
“Awesome experience”
Reviewed 6 May 2011

ctually there is not much to say that hasn't already been said in my three other reviews of this boutique hotel. The staff are warm, friendly and professional. They remain discrete and helpful at all times. They know just when you can use some help but blend in the background otherwise. It was refreshing for example when picking up my hotel key card after being out for awhile they would look up the room and ask me my name instead of just blindly handing it over. The room is more than adequate for all purposes. It is bright, cheery and comfortable. The free Wifi in the room is an added bonus (hidden gem these days).The toiletries and complimentary water is a thoughtful touch. The included breakfast is always welcome. I will stay here again and again. Cons - Nothing

Shopping Tip : Very close to all malls, well within $2.00 distance.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Angelescitypi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Americus, Georgia
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Don't be fooled with the title. Simple is good for me. I've been to other hotels that have pools as far as the eye can see, lot of restaurants, and have a lot of activities that can be done yet they fall far behind expectations because they are either too expensive, too far away from anywhere, and the service that is provided can be very disappointing (yes it is plantation bay). Alpa was really a big surprise but in a good way. It was very clean and smack dab in the middle of anywhere you really want to go. The rooms are very cheap (I got the most expensive one for 61 bucks and it was quite nice) and are clean. The food selection is a bit better than some of the hotels with the same price range (more international food anyway). The room that I got also had a microwave so it was pretty convenient for someone like me who enjoys to buy food out of the hotel and bring them in the room. The staff was very nice and accommodating. There are taxis right outside of the hotel and the guards always write down the number and company of the taxis and asks where you're going. SM and the other malls are just 5-10 minutes away (depending on how good the taxi driver is and the traffic) which is pretty cool because most of the stuff my girlfriend and I wanted to do anyway was somewhere other than the hotel.

Now here's the bad part. It might be a bit too simple. There is no gym, pool, or garden of some sort. One of the things I really like about hotels is that they bring something unique, yet the only thing I can really say is that its simple. I guess that makes it unique.

Overall, I would stay here again but I really hope that the staff continues to improve the place up. Maybe place a few more things in the hotel like a gym, pool, or even just a souvenir shop.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank x300
Palawan Island, Philippines
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Perfect. great location, large rooms, clean and service is just impeccable.
the entire staff form the front desk to the restaurant and cleaning crews are just perfect. very polite and very helpful. will return for sure . taxis are easy to catch as they stop in front of the hotel. easy access to the malls. security is great 24 hrs. quiet and very pleasant stay.
the restaurant has a great selection of European and Filipino dishes. had lunch many times. this is a great surprise in Cebu.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank gypsyweeze
Ad Dawha, Ad Dawḩah, Qatar
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Online Reservation was a breeze, check in was fast and so was the check out. Hassle Free and efficient.

We stayed here for 3D/2N and wished we could've stayed longer, the hotel is near SM & Ayala Mall which was an advantage if you like shopping. We also booked their tour package to get a feel of the cebuano heritage and culture. Our driver was very polite and kind.

The food was really good and over all the customer service is excellent, I'll be back with my entire family so they can also experience the beauty of Cebu and the luxury of Alpa City Suites.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank North83
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Sensational establishment from the "baby grand piano", majestic entrance to the room..!
Excellent priced, big comfortable, sound proof room..!
Superb customer service..
Outstanding breakfast with a daily variety..
I was pleasantly surprised and pleased..
Why stay anywhere else, especially at this rate..

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank juiceKC
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Pros:
Staff is extremely nice and helpful
Very clean and nice hotel
Rooms are nice, clean, and modern
Breakfast was good

Cons:
Location. Not safe
Hot water....not hot
wired, rather than wireless internet
noisy

This is a very nice hotel. But, it sticks out like a sore thumb where it is located. Bad neighborhood. I was going to walk around one day and as I exited the hotel, the doorman asked if I would like a taxi. I said no, I think I will walk some today. He told me to walk a certain direction because it is not safe for me to walk the other ways. I asked if he was sure it was safe to walk that way. He said, Yes.... you don't have any jewelery or wearing anything fancy.

I also had a problem with hot water. They have the "hot water on demand" system. When I arrived, it wasn't working. They came and fixed it. But, the water was not even warm when he left. I called again to have it turned up. Tried the shower again, but it was just barely warm now. Called again. I could then take a shower without shivering, but that was with all hot water and no cold = no pressure. I was tired of bothering them and just dealt with it at this point. But, 2 days later....it was broke again.

The wired internet was a little of a pain. Who still has wired internet???

Anyways, bottom line.... nice place, but be prepared to take taxis any place you want to see. There is a reason it is cheap.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank razor615
ALPAGM, General Manager at Alpa City Suites, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding our hotel services.
Regarding the location of our hotel I like to comment that Cebu City has a good safety record. However, we are in a third world country with many poor people and that's why most of the hotels in Cebu or Manila, whatever the location is, will recommend you to be careful when walking around alone. As in every big city in the world, It's always advisable to stay low profile and don't show too many signs of wealth when walking alone on the streets.
That's the advice that most hotels in the Philippines will give you, no matter what location.
Thank you for being our guest.
australia
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I booked this hotel online,after reading their advertisement.
I had never heard of this hotel and was really surprised when I arrived.
Check in was a breeze, we were escorted to our room, and that was that. The quality of the fit out is above reproach, everything was all you could expect, very roomy, all the usual amenities, larger than normal bathroom, well tiled and very clean. The bed was like heaven, clean quality linen and pillows, just what I needed after a long and delayed flight schedule.
Unfortunately, the restaurant had just closed when we arrived, due to flight delays, but a quaint little bbq is 3 doors down, the food was good and the drinks were cold, what more could 1 ask for in the Philippines.
The next morning was just as good, and surprising, with a buffet breakfast included in the package, for a very small price, and the variety of meals and the excellent food quality was a delight.
As the hotel is situated in Mandaue, it is close to the airport, buslines and other transport, SM mall is only a few minutes in a cab, as are many other places to shop and eat.
I highly recommend this hotel to any traveller.
I did notice, in their elevators, are glowing reports from other trip advisor associates, not a bad word to be seen. almost forgot, when you book your stay there, make sure to get the hotel van to pick you up from the airport, it's cheap(about $11.00 I think), or you may find yourself a victim of some less than honest taxi driver

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank eyes4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaue
Andy Hotel
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,109 reviews

Been to Alpa City Suites? Share your experiences!