“Repeat Customer”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mandaue
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Repeat Customer”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

This is my 3rd stay and the room quality/cleanliness has been very good and consistent.

The complimentary breakfast is good, but not as consistent as other amenities. Some days very good, warm food. Other days, not so good and buffet items are barely even warm/almost cool.

The house keeping staff continue to be very friendly, but the front desk personnel don't seem to be as friendly as my previous stays.

For now, I will continue to stay at Alpa because the location is good for visiting my fiance's family and the overall quality is still very good.

3 Thank CL_Colorado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Its a nice hotel situated right in the middle of Mandaue City, with a easy access to Ayala Center Cebu and SM City Cebu. The room that we were assigned was supposed to be a deluxe room and apparently we were upgraded to a superior deluxe room which holds a queen size bed and can still accommodate a extra bed to boot! Maybe this is because my sister booked us through expedia..
Im a big breakfast eater, but their breakfast buffet really disappoints. Early check out should be coordinated the night before, because when we are trying to contact the front desk, house keeping & operator at around 5am, nobody answered, so we are left to deal with our baggages to ourselves to catch the first flight out to Manila.
Over all the accommodation is good but due to the sloppy breakfast and unmanned front desk and sleeping staff, the experience falls on an average.. ;-)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank fhel13
Las Vegas
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My wife lives near Alpa and we decided to stay here for a few nights. What a nice surprise. The value and cleanliness of this hotel are unmatched. The only negative remark would be that the hot water wasn't working when we checked in, but was fixed quickly when I told the housekeeper. The room service wasn't the greatest, but so many restaurants nearby that it doesn't really hurt. The breakfast buffet was very good and we will definitely stay here again when we return to Cebu next year.

USA
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Alpa has previously received favorable comments, and Alpa received a 2013 award from TripAdvisor. Hence, you don’t need a repeat of what has already been said.

My review will focus on what it's like to be a long-staying customer at Alpa.

OVERALL SUMMARY OF THIS REVIEW: If you have a need for a hotel for a longer stay in greater Cebu, you may want to consider Alpa City Suites. In my opinion, Alpa’s routine amenities, which are mostly quite good by Philippines standards, can make a longer stay more comfortable than many other choices in Cebu. Many of Cebu’s most popular tourist sites and malls / restaurants are within a P125 (or less) taxi ride from the hotel. If you are budget-minded, jeepneys are available near the hotel for transportation to many destinations. Alpa’s small kitchenette is very helpful and convenient, especially if you’re diet-conscious, or if you get tired of always eating out. Cheerful attitudes and good customer service appear to be the norm at Alpa. The hotel restaurant serves good food at reasonable prices. The breakfast buffet, included with the room price, is well-above average for Cebu and the Philippines.

If you need details, I encourage you to keep reading.

DETAILED COMMENTS: Due to unforeseen circumstances, my stay in Mandaue / Cebu was extended to a total of about 30 days. Initially, my stay was scheduled for seven to 11 days. I had the opportunity to move to a different hotel several times during my unplanned lengthy stay in Cebu.

There are many hotel alternatives in the greater-Cebu area. Since it’s currently the rainy season, and the low tourist season, getting a room reservation on short-notice would not have been a problem. However, I chose to stay at Alpa, and not change hotels. Remarkably, it was an easy decision to stay at Alpa. What follows are some of the reasons I preferred to stay, and I did not change hotels.

The Alpa rooms have a small kitchenette, including both a medium-size refrigerator (with a moderate freezer compartment), and a microwave oven. Many hotels in Cebu have a very small refrigerator, only, with no freezer compartment. For a short stay, a small refrigerator with no freezer is fine. But, I like a particular brand of ice cream while away from home, and having a freezer to store it is necessary. The refrigerators at Alpa have room for numerous items, even though Alpa’s convenience mini-bar takes up some space. I had no problems keeping ice cream, bread, leftover food from restaurant take-outs, several 2-liter bottles of cola, yogurt, fresh fruit, bread, and other items. A microwave oven, in each room, is not too common in Cebu, even in the higher-priced hotels. For long-staying travelers conscious of their diet and expenses, it really helps to occasionally buy food at a market, and preparing it in your room.

The breakfast buffet is a highlight of the hotel stay, and it never disappointed me…..NOT EVEN ONE TIME! It has numerous main-course items (e.g., today, it had Bistec Tagalog, chicken croquettes, and a couple of other items). Eggs are cooked, to order, if desired. A high-quality soup is always available. The brewed coffee is good, and could be a lot better if they used slightly more coffee in its preparation. The coffee has good flavor, but it was simply too weak, most of the time. Nevertheless, I recommend it!

I found the overall customer-service attitude at Alpa to be better than most hotels. Also, it seemed most of the employees enjoyed working at Alpa. Frequent smiles by employees, combined with overall good customer service, can often be attributed to good hotel management, fair compensation of employees, and good work conditions.

ANECDOTE: On one occasion, I had an embarrassing emergency, and since I was traveling alone, I had to ask for unusual assistance for a short time. A young hotel employee cheerfully came to my room, and provided help that was urgently needed. He expected nothing in return for his help, but I insisted on an immediate gratuity. OK….OK….I will tell you, exactly, what happened. LOL! While performing my routine exercise regimen, I dislocated my shoulder. I was about one kilometer from the hotel, at the time of dislocation. A shoulder dislocation, if you don’t know, is a true medical emergency, and immediate medical attention is required. A shoulder dislocation means the arm bone is dislodged, temporarily, from the shoulder socket. Immediately after the injury, I knew I had a problem, but the pain was manageable, so I decided to go back to the hotel to take a shower, prior to heading to the hospital emergency room. Waiting, and not heading to the hospital, immediately, and returning to the hotel, first, was a big mistake on my part. About five minutes after the dislocation, and while in my room cleaning up prior to going to the hospital, the pain became overwhelming, and I could no longer move my arm in any direction without severe aggravation and even more pain. Thus, I was unable to dress myself, and I called for help from the hotel. The Alpa employee was there in a few seconds, and he helped me put my clothes and shoes on. Then, he helped me get a taxi. NOTE: I was offered an ambulance, but I cheerfully declined. LOL! Those of you familiar with the ambulance service in most cities in RP will understand my attempt at humor.

Room Tip: Higher floors, if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I recently stayed two night here while I was in the city. I was impressed at how nice the room was and for a low price, under 30 USD per night. It is nicely located between the two malls, about 3km to either one. The breakfast Buffet had a good selection of typical breakfast foods, and even some things that would be considered lunch.

Santa Rosa, Philippines
Reviewed 4 July 2013

one of the best hotels i've stayed at.. people are so warm just like typical Cebuanos. the staff is incredibly helpful. i'd definitely stay here again. The suites are very roomy and facilities inside the suite are clean. Cable TV inside the room is one of the best i've seen. There is a LAN cable that you can use for your laptop which has a really fast internet connection. definitely best for those who are on a business trip or just going solo or having a couple's trip..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Caye Caulker, Belize
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I'm staying at this hotel for another 4 days, and I am very happy. This hotel has everything!
It's new
Has nice clean rooms with a lot of space.
There is a great restaurant in the hotel.
There's a good free breakfast in the a.m. with many food choices.
It is quiet.
It's near many attractions.
The service staff is knowledgeable, and helpful.
I am used to paying $75.+ for a room like this, so currently it is a steal to stay here. Check this hotel out on hotel websites & you can get all of the information about this place.
This is a wonderful hotel at discount prices.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandaue
Andy Hotel
Radisson Blu Cebu
Radisson Blu Cebu
#1 of 87 in Cebu City
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,098 reviews

Been to Alpa City Suites? Share your experiences!