“Over rated”

Black Crow Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Beatrice
Price range: US$11 - US$32
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Established in 1993, we serve critically acclaimed international and American cuisine in a restored 1880's building in the historic district in downtown Beatrice, the site of the first homestead and the Homestead National Monument. Our dining room features cozy booths, an original 14 ft. high tin ceiling, and a 30 ft Oak back bar. We feature Nebraska beef steaks and Prime rib, roast duckling, fresh fish and shellfish, pastas, entree salads, including our fabulous Caesar salad, gourmet pizzas and much more. We make all our own desserts, including bread pudding, creme brulee, and flourless chocolate decandence cake. We offer seasonal craft cocktail lists, an extensive beer list including Nebraska microbrews, a selection of Nebraska distilled spirits, a single malt scotch list, full bar and a wine list with over 100 selections from around the world. We have been preparing fresh food with love for over 24 years. We would love to prepare some for you. Come see us.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This place is way over rated. Their prices are high, portions small, and terrible ambience! Don't bother!

Kate R, Owner at Black Crow Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

I am sorry to say that this review seems to me to be both false and malicious. The Black Crow has been open and serving the public under the same ownership for twenty-one years this June. During that time, we have consistently had great reviews from our many loyal customers, and critical acclaim at the local, state, and national level. As recently as August 2013, the food reviewer for the Lincoln Journal Star, Kent Wolgamott, called us "...the best restaurant in SE Nebraska, and one of the best in the state." He has also called us his favorite restaurant. As an independent, family owned small business, we value our reputation and are always very interested in making sure our customers have a good experience, and are happy, as our livelihood, and the livelihood of all of our employees and their families depends on it.

Reading this review, I wonder if this person is writing a review for another restaurant. Our restaurant is beautiful inside, with original tin ceilings and exposed brick walls. The centerpiece of the dining room is a 30 ft. solid oak bar bar, from the 1800's. We have white tablecloths and candles and fresh flowers on every table. The stereo plays jazz and jazz standards, and a variety of other music, (I love Michael Buble!) Our waiters dress all in black, with ties, and little white lights and greenery dresses the bar and our extensive selections. The photo on Trip Advisor shows our beautiful banquet room.

Our prices are very reasonable, with dinner entrees served with homemade bread and a dinner salad starting at $14.95, entree salads starting at $6.95, and 12" gourmet pizzas starting at $9.95.

Our portion size is quite large, with many to go boxes being taken home after the meal, and many times a customer will spit an entree with another guest.

In short, I don't know what kind of ambiance, portion, and price this Becky A. expects, but I wonder if she was ever even been in our restaurant, as we have no record of her on our books, I do not know a person from Beatrice by that name, and we had no complaints from any customers on or near the time of her visit. Each guest receives an extensive comment card with their check, on which we ask how everything was, and offer to call and talk to them in person, if they have any problems with anything. This review is generic, and innacurate, and seem's very mean spirited. Too bad.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

On my recent visit to the Black Crow, I was reminded of how lucky the town of Beatrice is to have a restaurant of this caliber. For starters I had the stuffed mushroom caps stuffed with a shrimp mousse. Delectable! I couldn't say enough about this appetizer...could've had several servings. I had the pan-seared salmon (which had this thin, perfectly cooked crust). It was delightful, served on a bed of dijon mashed potatoes topped off with a maple-ginger glaze. Really, really good.

At the end of the day, I can't imagine being served a meal of this quality at any other restaurant in Beatrice, and for that matter, in Lincoln. I've looked around for other places that can match the Black Crow's atmosphere, the depth of their single-malt scotch selection (which is a must for me), and - for the night where I have to have a bottle of wine - their wine list of over 100 some bottles, routinely updated.

The last thing I'll say is this: if I'm going to travel to eat a nice meal, I'm going to eat dessert as well. Don't pass on this! Try the bread pudding with their bourbon-caramel sauce and you'll leave a happy fellow. All of this wrapped up by attentive service and an incredibly hilarious and gregarious chef, Ray, who stopped by the table and treated me just like I owned the place. I can't wait till my travel brings me back.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We used Trip Advisor to find the restaurant and were not disappointed. Staff was very friendly and the food good. One of the better restaurants in the area.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great Place to take company, food is very good nice and clean. Prices are very good.
Wonderful selection of wine. Very upscale for a small town. Love it that they always have specials for the day. If you coming to Beatrice be sure to stop and try them out.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Probably 4.5 stars, but, finding this in the town of Beatrice bumps it up to 5. I read a few of the reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor before trying this place. Dont' get to Beatrice very often, but, it was between this and the Mexican joint. I gotta say, I'm happy I tried Black Crow.

Most of the negative reviews I read had to do with it being higher priced... Well, let me say, if this was in Lincoln or Omaha, most dishes would be $5 to $10 higher pretty easily. Most dinner dishes are just under the $20 range although a couple were closer to $15 and there were some closer to $25. Can't recall what the Pizza's cost.

I had the Shrimp Rissotto dish along with the House Salad. The house vinigarette dressing was awesome. Shrimp Rissotto dish was very solid. Good-sized portion and seasoned quite well. Who would think you could get Rissotto in Beatrice, NE? Not me for sure.

I'd be interested to come back at lunch as I heard they serve Gyro's. I would have to think a gyro at this quality of place would be amazing.