“Best stay in Sri Lanka”
Review of Borderlands

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kitulgala
Borderlands
London, United Kingdom
“Best stay in Sri Lanka”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I wished we could have stayed longer here. Food was very good. Guides made us feel very welcome. If I go back to Sri Lanka I will stay here again and stay longer. Had wi-fi in the common area but not in your tent that was clean, comfortable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
BorderlandsL, Sales & Marketing at Borderlands, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Dean P,

Thank you for your review, we’re glad to know you felt welcomed and enjoyed the food and accommodation. We hope to welcome you back soon for a longer stay in the near future!

The Borderlands Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My 12-year-old son and I went to Borderlands in Kitugala, Sri Lanka, for a weekend trip with a large group of friends from school and work. This is not a vacation as usual experience in a hotel on the beach with a pool, but is a not to be missed adventure. I am not terribly adventurous nor do I really like the great outdoors, but being at Borderlands challenged me and helped me conquer a few demons. I did not abseil (rappel), but I did hike up a mountain to watch my son and friends do the abseiling, and when I had trouble going up the trail, one of the very patient, compassionate guides literally held my hands and encouraged me as he helped me up to the top. I ran into similar troubles on another difficult hike the following day as our group headed towards the canyons for some water fun, and again, another guide was right by my side holding my hand to help pull me through. As I said, I am not a big adrenaline junkie and prefer to just watch everyone have the adventurous fun, but in the canyons while being cheered on by an amazing group of friends (and my son!), I made 2 exhilarating jumps way out of my comfort zone into natural fresh water pools. Back at the Borderlands campsite, the atmosphere is very relaxed while the accommodations (tents and cabins) are rustic but comfortable. My son & I shared a tent set on a platform with a thatched roof, so we had a deck overlooking a beautiful river where the kids went swimming every free chance they could. Our tent had electricity, beds, a fan inside and a couple of beanbags, so it was the perfect place to rest and hang out when we weren't in the common area called the Longhouse. The Longhouse is where meals are served, you can order drinks, smoothies, coffee, and milkshakes from the bar, or just enjoy the spot for chilling out. The campground is made for groups of people to have a great time getting to know each other. The food was delicious, served family style off a set menu for each meal. Also notable were the smoothies and iced coffee. Toilets and showers are in a common bath house, a quick walk from the accommodations and Longhouse. There is also free Wifi available in the common area. Bottom line is, I miss this place already. It was an unforgettable weekend!

Room Tip: Tents are good for singles or couples while the cabins are roomy enough for a small family. If you...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear PepRMint918,

Wow! Thank you so much for your amazingly kind and detailed review! We feel so incredibly flattered with the complements you have given us. We’re thrilled to hear you pushed your comfort zone in the canyon, and also enjoyed the comfort and support of camp and the food. We hope to see you in the future for another unforgettable weekend!

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We booked rafting/canyoning and whale wathing with Borderlands and had a wonderful expereince with them even despite low river water level during our trip. Guides are easy-going and professional, equipment in good condition, food delicios. I am glad to recommend Borderlands and look forward to new adventures with them both in Sri Lanka and Nepal. Good luck to you guys!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 1_Puteshestvennik,

Thank you very much for your review, we’re happy to hear you had a good time despite the low water levels. We hope to see you again in the future with better water levels, in both Sri Lanka and Nepal!

Melbourne
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed or two nights in February 2014 with another couple. The other couple were there for the activities whilst we were there to relax, walk and swim. We all had a good time. The setting is great and by all reports the activities were a lot of fun. The tented sleeping accommodation is rustic, clean and comfortable. Excellent common area. For a resort that promotes healthy outdoor activities it would make sense to ban smoking on site or at the very least isolate if from the common area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RLFP_WSP
BorderlandsL, Sales & Marketing at Borderlands, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear RLFP_WSP,

Thank you for your review, we’re happy to balance out interests in relaxing and high adventure activities, so it’s good to hear both were enjoyed and everyone had a good time! We’re glad to know that the you liked the accommodation and common area, and thank you for the suggestion, we will work on the issue of smoking. We hope to see you soon!

Colombo
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had delayed this experience far too long , so glad we finally made it. My two daughters 8 and 10 thought it THE best weekend to date. Fun and thrill packed with wonderful staff , great location and activities on offer. Have to recommend the superb safety standards, excellent and expert guides, wonderful staff and the very professional adventure set up. Tents on cantilevered platforms above the river, amazing scenery , great food what more could you ask for!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Lucy A,

Thank you so much for your review, we’re so happy your daughters thought it was “THE best weekend to date.” Thank you for the recommendation on everything, you summed up exactly what we work for! We look forward to seeing you and your family in the future!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was our first experience of Sri Lanka, It was great to stay right on the banks of the river, and do some canyoning. The staff were all very helpful, and the food each night was amazing, with lots of variety.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rhinoaus

Thank you for the stunning review, we’re thrilled you had such a good time while experiencing Sri Lanka for the first time! We’re glad to hear you enjoyed the activities and food, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Our family of 5 stayed here in December 2013 along with our friends who also had three kids. It was a truly unique experience. The accommodation, (we stayed in the huts) is a bit basic and I was not thrilled that the bathroom was far away.(not very accessible in the dark at night time!) but after I got used to that and the various insects on my bed and I awoke in the morning to see the beauty all around me, things got better! The kids had a truly fantastic time doing all the various activities. The level of safety is very high, specially when compared to other white water rafting places close by. The food was divine. We enjoyed being in the long house, playing games, and relaxing. the bonfire was fun.You need to be physically fit to stay at the Borderlands.Its a truly amazing experience for all those that love the out doors in Sri Lanka and want to experience the magic of it safely.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank readjohn316
Dear readjohn316,

Thank you for your review, we’re glad to know the kids had such a great time and the safety, food, and relaxing was all enjoyed. You’ll be happy to know we’re installing better lighting systems so it’s easier to reach the bathrooms in the dark. We hope to see you and your family again in the future.

The Borderlands Team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitulgala
Mountriver Hotel
Kumbuk Sevena Adventure Camp
Forest Edge
Forest Edge
#2 of 7 in Kitulgala

Been to Borderlands? Share your experiences!