“Yuck!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hill Club Restaurant

Hill Club Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 46 Restaurants in Nuwara Eliya
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Yuck!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

My food was stone cold and tasted terrible! Service totally unorganised and slow. Will never go again! I am trying to think of something positive but it was awful.

2 Thank Rachelxx72

Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Tea on the lawn!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

No trip to Nuwara Eliya is complete without afternoon tea on the front lawn of The Hill Club; worth the 100 LKR's temporary membership fee!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank CPBMN
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“A unique (almost) experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I bracket 'almost' because apart from the Hill Club there are a bare handful of old British colonial clubs still operating around the world that allow access to non members to savour what is an unforgettable experience like this. For me,the Hill Club sits alongside the Ooty Club in India and the Bulawayo Club in Zimbabwe as old colonial clubs proudly if not a little desparetly holding onto society standards set and practised many decades ago. It really is an historical gem and no matter what views you may hold over colonial history and its impact, the Hill Club still has over 700 fully paid up Sri Lankan members who love the place. The English are now the 'guests' and not the 'hosts' so please expect to comply with the host's request over standards of dress. If you disagree with these then simply don't come to the Hill Club for dinner. As it turns out it isn't a problem if you don't have a jacket and tie. I was politely given a choice of over 20 clean and neatly pressed jackets to chose from and a club tie to borrow. Suitably dressed you are qualified to be treated like any other (more or less; members have a slightly cheaper bar list). Dinner itself was a great experience. A 4 course set dinner, candlelit white linen covered tables, served by attentive waiters in white gloves and all for a very reasonable $24 per head. After dinner we took tea by a roaring log fire and were offered a game of snooker on the century plus year old table. Sadly our night came to and end when I had to hand back my borrowed jacket and tie and a little like Cinderella, put on my practical travel clothing again and slipped into a waiting tuk tuk to whisk me off back to the real world. If only I could be a Timelord!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank JJBroome
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific experience if a little eerie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I hate to use a cliched phrase but the Hill Club really was 'a step back in time'. Even though the restaurant was totally empty save for us the formal dining experience in the middle of a backpacking trip was something else.

I had the foresight to arrive in shirt, decent(ish) shoes and tailored trousers but I still needed to borrow a tie and an ancient jacket to completely fit the bill.

The food in itself was quite terrific if perhaps lightly 1970s inspired. I highly recommend a meal here!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Futtock
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“do not eat here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

on arrival at the hill club my husband was crudely examined by the waiter and told he was not suitably dressed for the posh dinning room....we had expected this but not quite in the manner it was done. we were esp. perturbed as we were the only restaurant guests in both dining rooms????? we were told to got to the casual dining room for dinner...the food was mediocre at best but the waiting staff was attentive and nice. after dinner we asked if we could have our coffee and brandy in the billiard rooms and told we only had a short time as the hotel was closing....we thought this was very rude as we had spent a small fortune in there. every few minutes a waiter came through to inspect us and hint that we should be leaving. the moment we left the lights in the hotel were turned off and we were left to walk down the hill in near darkness, only to find they had locked the gate and there was no security...after 20 minutes we finally were able to leave.

this is not worth the money and the feeling from the staff that you are not worthy to be there. the food was not that great and the wine very over priced. an interesting experience but one leaving you feeling used and upset

• Visited April 2013