“English Colonial Club Sri Lanka style”

Nuwara Eliya Golf Club
Ranked #30 of 277 Nuwara Eliya B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Imagine an English Colonial Club setting in modern Independent Democractic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka and for that you have to walk the distance to finish the 18-hole course.

Beautiful it may be, the ancients rights for the public to walk pass the fairways is something to be experienced.

The Caddies are old-timers barefooted and wearing "sarong" to tell you where to hit and place the balls.

Great course for the young and strong with the legs. There is no leg massage after the game as Sri Lanka does not encourage evening massages.

Room Tip: Great traditional golf course.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank mansuroxford

Reviewed 10 February 2012

Upon arrival, you keep thinking this is a paradise on earth. It really is, too. The golf course per se is amazing. It really is a visual treat. The building itself is very colonial and you can see there is a rich history attached to it. But this is where paradise ends.

The food, which happened to be rice and curry for lunch was insipid and full of curry powder. No taste at all. I had a glimpse of the kitchen area and I will think twice about putting any food in my mouth. Yet the worst part of this entire trip was the service.

After checking into the room, the housekeeping boy comes in, dumps a bed sheet, coverlet and pillow and then leaves the room expecting me to make up my own bed!! I have traveled widely throughout the world and this is the FIRST time something of this nature has happened to me. What makes this all worse is the fact that I am Sri Lankan!

I will never visit this place again. Ever.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ForzaSL
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My family and I chose the Golf Club per recommendation of a family friend. Once we got there, we found that the rooms reeked of a musty smell left by cigarette smoke. The blankets were unclean and our TV didn't work for the length of our stay, despite having complained over ten times in person and over the phone. The food was questionable and gave me and my sister indigestion and food poisoning, where we got severely sick and couldn't eat anything but crackers for a week. I even happened to see a rat in the lounge area. My experience there was horrible, and I would never ever recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Don't ever stay in room 14. The TV didn't work in there.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee S
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The Golf Club situated in the Heart of the little town of Nuwara Eliya is a great place to chill out. The long walks along the golf course and the bike / horse rides round the lakes gives that little bit required to take away the guilt of indulgence. The rooms adjecent to the club house are nice large rooms although not heated they have nice hot water bottles like the good old days. The toilets of course have hot water on tap. The food is just great. It is personalized to your taste if adequate notice is given. The service is also of very high quality.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The golf club is in the middle of town - close to shops and restaurants - the golf is excellent and is a real challenge - the caddies are very skilled - the clubhouse is old colonial, wood fire in the bar, service by staff is good - the club was let down by the accommodation - the room we stayed in was in poor condition, a bit damp and mouldy - needed a revamp, indeed some rooms were being renovated during our stay - I think when you book you need to check that your room is an updated one.

Room Tip: You want a modern or renovated room
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tonyseeley
Reviewed 27 December 2011

When looking for accomodation in Nuwara Eliya, one is certainly not starved for choice. For us, it was thanks to our Sri Lankan hosts that we were booked rooms at this elite, members only club.

As you drive up to the Golf Club reception, you are flanked by lush greens of the golf course. When we landed up there was a light drizzle which only added to the hill station charm of the whole place. The Club offers all the modern amenities of a hotel while maintaining its old world, British Colonial personality.

We were warmly greeted and our rooms were ready for us. The smartly attired staff in local dress guided us to our rooms and deposited our luggage safely as well. The rooms were wood paneled, with large mirrors and well furnished. A large clean bathroom was attached and there was enough storage space. We spent two nights in very comfortable beds and woke well refreshed for a day of sightseeing. The Bar is well stocked and there is a dining hall but it leaves more to be desired. A strict dress code is maintained for the Dining Hall and Main Bar. There is also a billiards room for a late game with your brandy.

The highlight of our stay was enjoying High Tea on the front verandah of the club overlooking the 18th Green. A must visit if not a must stay location.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I haven’t stayed at the golf club itself, but have enjoyed playing the course on half a dozen occasions whilst on holiday in Sri Lanka. I’m a keen, but not expert (11 h’cap) golfer and try to fit in a round or two wherever I go on holiday.

I’ve always found the club to be welcoming, both pre-round at the pro shop or secretary’s office and post-round at the bar or on the terrace. I’ve often had an early morning breakfast and I can recommend that – great quality and value. The green fees are reasonable (at least by UK standards) and, from memory, the clubs are inexpensive to hire and of a good quality (matched sets /recognised brands / graphite shafts etc). The best value, though, is the caddies, who have all been knowledgeable and friendly and well-deserving of a tip. If you do play, I’d highly recommend having a caddy – not only is the service excellent, but I get the impression that the course isn’t heavily used and the work is much appreciated.

The course – my first impressions were how similar the course was in appearance to an inland, tree-lined British one. Although it’s situated just a few degrees north of the equator, the altitude (6,000 ft / 2,000m) and relatively cool climate mean that the mature course is lined with pine and deciduous trees and has lush fairways and soft greens (not all immaculate, but good, true surfaces to putt on). I don’t have a card of the course to hand, but think it’s a par 70 off the men’s tees (3 x par 5s and 5 x par 3s) and would estimate it to be approx 6,000 yards (5,500 metres) – back tees would add approx 500yds. Whenever I’ve played, the fairways have been soft and well-grassed, so there’s very little roll and the course plays every inch of its length and feels much longer than a UK course of similar yardage. The layout is excellent and all the holes are well-defined with plenty of features and variety (e.g. crossing rivers or ponds, dog-legs, plateau greens, mature trees, some tight drives, other holes with generous fairways). A few of the holes are bordered by the town itself and it’s quite intimidating to know that a wayward shot (sometimes just a few yards off the fairway) can go bounding down the street or clattering across rooftops (as you may guess, I’ve managed both embarrassments!).

As mentioned, the course appears to be little-used (except, I believe, at some weekends) and it’s quite possible to get round in under 3 hours, so it doesn’t mean abandoning non-golfers for the best part of a day.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family