Grosvenor Hotel
The Grand Hotel(Nuwara Eliya)
US$3,500
US$181
  • Restaurant
Amaya Langdale(Nuwara Eliya)
US$218
Hill Pride City Hotel(Nuwara Eliya)
US$65
Midky Hotel(Nuwara Eliya)
US$61
Heritance Tea Factory(Nuwara Eliya)
US$278
Priceline
US$186
US$165
Agoda.com
The Blackpool Hotel(Nuwara Eliya)
US$230
US$131
Hotels.com
US$128
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This hotel has great potencial if only some cared to clean it and renovate it. Room very spaciuos with nice furniture, however sheets with stains, dust everywhere and bathroom was appalling! Bath looked like never cleaned and toilet desk fixed/ or not with some wire. Little effort and would be different, but it was not. We only stayed 1 night and if ever back in Nuwaraeliya I would prefer to find another hotel in better conditions.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Only booked to stay one night as part of a tour, fortunately, as we wouldn't have stayed a second. Nice old building which needs a lot of refurbishing. Good size rooms and public areas spacious. Had to pre-order dinner, which was probably our worst meal in Sri Lanka, and it was served right on time which meant, however, it was all over in 25 minutes. Room very cold at night so had difficulty sleeping. Only one very thin blanket provided so if you do stay here request extra ones. Hotel well positioned for park and 10 - 15 minutes walk to town centre.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We were on a private tour of Sri Lanka in Jan/Feb 2013 and were booked into this hotel for 2 nights. When we arrived the manager put us in a room with an outlook of a wall, so when we told him we were booked into room 2 he reluctantly took us there instead. However, although the room was large and very old fashioned, the blankets were dirty, there were no pillowcases and the bath was filthy with no plugs for bath or sink and mildew all over window and shower curtains. I wouldn't even have climbed into the bath for a shower, it was so awful.
After complaining about no plug for my husband to have a shave, they provided a desert bowl and we were also hoping to wash out some clothes so we gave 5 items to the laundry instead.
However, because they were so unhelpful about everything else, we moved into the Alpine Hotel, just next door which was a big improvement.
The next morning we went back to collect our laundry which cost more than originally quoted, to find one pair of walking trousers dirtier than when given in, and my pair( which were brand new before the holiday) had 3 holes around the front caused by an iron. When we told the Manager, he denied that it could have been done by them and the laundry women just laughed in our faces. Angry was an understatement, as I only had one pair of walking trousers with me and we still had 12 days left in Sri Lanka.
Therefore, I would urge no one to ever set foot there as they were rude, unhelpful and the place was filthy, dark and drab and no alcohol which I actually felt I needed after the way the staff treated me.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Funjules
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We spent in this hotel one night in January 2013. Hotel is located about 5 minutes walking form the city center and close to the lake. Hotel is in old English fashion, according to the city standard. The room was simply decorated but spacious. Hotel has problem with cleanliness: we received dirty blanket on the bed and after replacement, new one wasn't better. Bathroom was horribly dirty: bath wasn't cleaned for a last few years as on one of the pictures. Room was without A/C but it wasn't useful during the night as it was very cold (additional blanket should be attached). Food was fine and reserved fast as for the lankian standard. Hotel waiters were unprofessional, with hands in the pockets and mobile phone in a hand during dinner serving.
We can recommend this hotel for short staying in the city but be careful about the bed and bath cleanliness.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here with my family for one night during a tour of Sri Lanka. I was a little bit wary because of the mixed reviews but fortunately our experience was a positive one. We were greeted warmly by the hotel staff who made a great fuss of my children. The bedrooms are big and although they could do with some updating they were clean and well presented. We did prepare in advance by requesting extra blankets after reading the rooms could be cold. It was also really nice to sit around the open fire with my guide entertaining my children by telling them about his life while growing up in Sri Lanka. The evening meal was ok and we really enjoyed the Sri Lankan breakfast. The hotel is within walking distance of Nuwara Eliya town centre. During the rest of our tour we stayed in nicer hotels, but we were also perfectly happy with Grosvenor for one night.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family