“Cold, dreary and damp”
Review of Grosvenor Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuwara Eliya
Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #28 of 31 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Well past its glory days! Unfortunately our guide booked us in for two nights. The rooms are quite large but cold and gloomy. The bathroom was adequate and the water hot, but the room remained damp, walls were mouldy and the towels smelt musty and felt damp at all times. Our room was near the entrance to the hotel and the door was always open to the howling cold winds and rain. The lounge area was usually occupied by staff playing cards in the only bright corner of the room. A fire (there was a fireplace) would have made the room a cozy place for guests to meet and talk - but no fire unless you paid 600 Rupees for a limited supply of sticks so that you could have a fire in your room for a short while. The door between our room and the next was very thin and allowed all sounds from the room next door to penetrate. Our next door neighbours talked for hours and then shouted into the phone until almost midnight. Then the roof took over - it rattled and banged in the wind all night long! The food ... we were shown a menu during the afternoon. Our first choices were "finished today". In desperation, I selected "roast chicken with bacon and chips". The chicken was very dry, the piece of bacon was tiny and the few chips cold. Not another vegetable in sight (needless to say, we ate out on the second night). Breakfast was adequate and we could at least make our own toast (Sri Lankans seem to think that toast is warm bread). The young, ever smiling waiter (who we dubbed Mr Bean) was trying very hard to please with limited resources. Other staff members seemed to be doing very little and spent more time with each other than engaging with guests.

Room Tip: Not sure that there are any that are better than others.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Toppies_11

Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Grosvenor offers a great colonial atmosphere, reminding you of past glory. Similar to that is the hotel. While having a very majestic architecture, the rooms are not so bright, windows can be cracked and damp. There were no towels at first and the ones we were brought had a bad smell.
Nuwara Elia has a rather cool climate and hence, one should bring some jumpers. In consequence that, it was very cold in the hotel during the night.
The pre-ordered dinner was not really recommendable.
While the staff is friendly and helpfull, the quality of the service is not up to Sri Lanka-Standards. Judging from the stay, a new management could bring glory to this place.
You do not get harmed when staying there but you are not sad either when leaving.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

My driver took me there and overall it was not a good experience. Being a woman alone I felt uncomfortable. I saw one other woman and other than that, it was all local drivers and male employees hanging out. The entire place was freezing. I had two long sleeved shirts, wool socks and trainers and was still uncomfortably cold, I was cold all night and did not sleep well. There was a fireplace in my room, they charged 600 rupees to light it and the fire lasted an hour. There were no towels when I arrived in my room, they brought me two that were very old and rough. There was no hairdryer or safe in the room. I could hear everything in the hall, someone unzipped a bag and I thought someone was in my room. Overall, the place was very cold feeling and I felt on guard throughout my stay, not good when you paid 7,000 rupees for the room (through the driver's deal?!?!). I would not let a friend stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank tlb999
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Do not go here if u are a solo woman traveller. The young male staff at reception are a pest. The atmosphere of the hotel is creepy and run down. The room beside the reception is next to the staff accommodation and very noisy . This hotel has great potential but needs the staff to be trained properly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Podgal
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Dirty bed, very humid and cold, we didn't sleep well at all. Bit frustrating as the building looks nice from outside, it was probably a good place 30 or 40 years ago.
Breakfast was ok.

Price was by far too high compare to quality.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marc G
Reviewed 5 August 2013

A friend and I stayed at this hotel from a Rough Guide recommendation. There were two young staff members that were too forward with us, and we caught one of them peeking at us while we were showering. The windows in this hotel are ground level and without curtains in the bathroom. We complained immediately to the manager, and he only offered another room and no other action. We left right away and moved to the Alpine Hotel next door and filed a formal complaint with the police. This situation was handled very badly and we feel this is not a safe place to stay. We have been informed that the two young men have been fired and are no longer working at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Travelerchic88
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The Grosvenor Hotel, Nuwara Eliya has such good potential - in a grand old British building, in a good location in Nuwara Eliya this place could be made absolutely stunning if some work was put into it. Unfortunately, the whole place seems neglected and doesn't come anyway near as good as it could be.

Firstly, Nuwara Eliya is COLD (that is coming from someone who has lived in the North of England for the past four years!) - it is about 10 degrees outside and due to no heating, it is about that temperature inside the Grosvenor Hotel as well. Everyone had to walk around the hotel with their jumpers and coats on. Upon asking for a heater due to an awful night's sleep, I was told there were no heaters. I had to sleep with four blankets it was that cold!

The room was large but very draughty and had problems with damp. The shower was usually freezing cold and soaked the entire bathroom. Whilst I was there there were storms overnight with winds and a lot of rain. Throughout the night the hotel doors continuously banged against each other very loudly with the wind, making for an extremely poor nights sleep. The internet did not work and the food was overpriced an substandard.

Overall - avoid this place and find somewhere better to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo