“Cold, damp and depressing”
Review of Grosvenor Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nuwara Eliya
Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My wife and I spent one night here because we were doing the Worlds End hike and it was close to drive there. BIG MISTAKE!!! We arrived to a cold, dark and damp room. We asked for towels and when they brought them, they were still wet and had a weird smell to them. We were unpacking to settle in for the night when a staff member came and asked us if we wanted dinner from the restaurant and we said "In a little bit" he then told us we only had an hour to put an order in this was at 5pm. After that we would not be able to have dinner at the hotel. We decided to pass and eat somewhere else outside the hotel. After we came back from strolling around Nuwara Eliya and getting something to eat, we had someone come by and ask us if we wanted to have a fire in the fire place to keep warm. We of course said yes seeing that it was cold in the area, that's when we found out it cost 600 rupees to have the fire. He came back and started the fire it warmed up a little bit in the room. We decided then to take a shower when we came to the stunning truth that there was no hot water here either, already cold we had to stomach the cold shower. When we came out the fire was dieing and I discovered then that the wood he left us to keep warm for the night only would last us about 45 minutes. So we spent a very cold, damp night in this hotel.

My opinion is find another hotel, this place is severely out dated in much need of a face lift and something to brighten it up. The staff needs some training seeing it was impossible to find any when we did need something. There "bar" has nothing but juice,water and soda no alcohol at all. The beds were hard, rooms were dark and depressing. Least favorite place we stayed at of the 7 hotels we stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MNMTravelers714

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We went here just for lunch and didn't stay. We were told the hotel was full but there was no one else around. We were greeted by a server when we entered, we asked if the hotel served lunch and were told they did so we looked at the menu and ordered a sandwich each. We waited in the lounge which stank of smoke! The ashtray by the door was full and no one had bothered to empty it.
It took about half an hour for the sandwiches and juice to be served. We opted to go to the restaurant to eat as the smell in the lounge was not conductive to eating. The green and yellow colour scheme of the restaurant was nearly as off putting! Dirty marks on the tablecloth were inexcusable. There were no other guests around and yet the table we were seated at was dirty.

The thick spread of margarine in my sandwich was very unfortunate as it completely overpowered what sounded a very nice sandwich of chicken and pineapple. The Club sandwich was passable but the bread was more dry than toasted.
All in all the hotel lacked atmosphere, there was an eerie silence and a feel of faded glory.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank EveningEater
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Well past its glory days! Unfortunately our guide booked us in for two nights. The rooms are quite large but cold and gloomy. The bathroom was adequate and the water hot, but the room remained damp, walls were mouldy and the towels smelt musty and felt damp at all times. Our room was near the entrance to the hotel and the door was always open to the howling cold winds and rain. The lounge area was usually occupied by staff playing cards in the only bright corner of the room. A fire (there was a fireplace) would have made the room a cozy place for guests to meet and talk - but no fire unless you paid 600 Rupees for a limited supply of sticks so that you could have a fire in your room for a short while. The door between our room and the next was very thin and allowed all sounds from the room next door to penetrate. Our next door neighbours talked for hours and then shouted into the phone until almost midnight. Then the roof took over - it rattled and banged in the wind all night long! The food ... we were shown a menu during the afternoon. Our first choices were "finished today". In desperation, I selected "roast chicken with bacon and chips". The chicken was very dry, the piece of bacon was tiny and the few chips cold. Not another vegetable in sight (needless to say, we ate out on the second night). Breakfast was adequate and we could at least make our own toast (Sri Lankans seem to think that toast is warm bread). The young, ever smiling waiter (who we dubbed Mr Bean) was trying very hard to please with limited resources. Other staff members seemed to be doing very little and spent more time with each other than engaging with guests.

Room Tip: Not sure that there are any that are better than others.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Toppies_11
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Grosvenor offers a great colonial atmosphere, reminding you of past glory. Similar to that is the hotel. While having a very majestic architecture, the rooms are not so bright, windows can be cracked and damp. There were no towels at first and the ones we were brought had a bad smell.
Nuwara Elia has a rather cool climate and hence, one should bring some jumpers. In consequence that, it was very cold in the hotel during the night.
The pre-ordered dinner was not really recommendable.
While the staff is friendly and helpfull, the quality of the service is not up to Sri Lanka-Standards. Judging from the stay, a new management could bring glory to this place.
You do not get harmed when staying there but you are not sad either when leaving.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

My driver took me there and overall it was not a good experience. Being a woman alone I felt uncomfortable. I saw one other woman and other than that, it was all local drivers and male employees hanging out. The entire place was freezing. I had two long sleeved shirts, wool socks and trainers and was still uncomfortably cold, I was cold all night and did not sleep well. There was a fireplace in my room, they charged 600 rupees to light it and the fire lasted an hour. There were no towels when I arrived in my room, they brought me two that were very old and rough. There was no hairdryer or safe in the room. I could hear everything in the hall, someone unzipped a bag and I thought someone was in my room. Overall, the place was very cold feeling and I felt on guard throughout my stay, not good when you paid 7,000 rupees for the room (through the driver's deal?!?!). I would not let a friend stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank tlb999
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Do not go here if u are a solo woman traveller. The young male staff at reception are a pest. The atmosphere of the hotel is creepy and run down. The room beside the reception is next to the staff accommodation and very noisy . This hotel has great potential but needs the staff to be trained properly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Podgal
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Dirty bed, very humid and cold, we didn't sleep well at all. Bit frustrating as the building looks nice from outside, it was probably a good place 30 or 40 years ago.
Breakfast was ok.

Price was by far too high compare to quality.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple