“Beautiful People, Excellent Service”
Review of Hill View Bungalow

Hill View Bungalow
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The guest house was meticulously clean, artfully and tastefully decorated, (with a fabulous, super hot shower, for what its worth), and offered stellar hillside views of the valley and town of Nuwara Ella. This was our first home stay, and our hosts were delightful caring people who took extra measures to ensure we were made to feel welcome. The meals were okay, albeit a bit overpriced, but when tired it was nice to have the option not to go out searching for restaurants, none of which were walking distance from this hilltop suburban location away from the town Center. Overall, a very nice experience. I would definitely recommend the Hill View Bungalow.

Room Tip: Request one of the rooms with a view. More pricey, but stellar view of the valley.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hill View Bungalow

Reviewed 11 January 2013

Hi there, we are a half Sri-Lankan/ half Dutch couple and stayed at Hill View Bungalow in July 2012. We really enjoyed the place! We booked a room at the upper floor with a magnificient view over Nuwara Eliya. And also not unimportant: a hot shower! The lady of the house is an excellent cook. She makes the best Sri Lankan Rice and Curry! The brothers who are running the place are friendly and helpful, without being pushy. Furthermore, a very relaxt atmosphere, internet available and a clean room. We plan to go back when we visit Sri Lanka again!

Nice fact: the owner is also married with a Dutch girl and now living in the Netherlands. His two brothers are running the place now.

Hope our feedback is helpful to you! Regards, Djuri & Marinke

Room Tip: On the ground level the rooms are small and you have to share a shower, Good choice if you're tr...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I arrived in Nuwara Eliya not knowing where to stay, and was met at the station with the offer of a room. I accepted and went to see it and the view was amazing! The room and the rest of the guesthouse were very clean. The owners and their staff were friendly and helpful throughout my stay (four nights). The first night I was in pain from climbing Adam's Peak (legs - ouch) so they served me dinner upstairs - very thoughtful! Dinner was a sociable affair, you can obviously eat by yourself if you want to, but I ate with some other guests and compared travel stories!

The food was excellent, there isn't a menu as such and I had curry three nights in a row, however each night the dishes were different and owner was able to cook specific requests for such things like dahl with no problem.

I took the upstairs room with balconey. It was spacious and clean, and the bathroom had the best HOT shower of all the places I stayed. The bed was also extremely comfortable. Free wi-fi worked well in all areas. I had washing done while there at a reasonable price.

I joined a group who were visiting Horton Plains (great group and loved the plains). I also visited a tea factory (due to the rain, waterfalls were not an option). If other travellers are going where you're going you can go together and save money.

Finally, the guesthouse is only a short walk into the main town (worth staying out of town for the view), and they also put me in touch with my next gueshouse where I stayed.

Room Tip: Take the upstairs rooms with a view! :)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We stumbled across this place, with our preferred options in Nuwara Eliya all fully booked, and we were glad we did. With 5 of us travelling together, we booked all three rooms on the top level of this house, so also had a common area with table and lounge to ourselves too. The rooms were large and clean, with good bathrooms and good showers (something you don't always get in Sri Lanka). The weather was awful for our stay, with pounding rain and very thick mists, so we were unable to enjoy what looks like a great view from the balcony. They provided accommodation for our driver too, which was great as this something need to consider in Sri Lanka if you do have a driver. The owners were friendly and helpful, fixing the wi-fi when it needed re-setting (though we did have to prompt them a bit to do this), and inviting us into their family room downstairs to watch the news as we had no television upstairs. They were also helpful when the power went out due to the bad weather (ironic, given we stayed on Hallowe'en!). There was a weird moment when we returned from dinner down in the town, and the owner stood near the door to our common area and didn't take the hint that we were going to bed - he just hovered and hovered ... judging by the other reviews maybe he was waiting to drink Arrack and chat with us!!

Breakfast wasn't included for us, but this was OK as it was easy to get elsewhere and the price for accommodation was still good.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2012

It started when I phoned the owner said he would send carto pick us up. Even when I took the room, he had me pay for the ride. When we arrived there was not a free room we had to move his sister's guest house. Expensive meal prices and poor service and the owner lied to us time after time. Not recommend place!!!

Room Tip: Not recommend place!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ori N
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Located about 10 minutes walk above town, my sons and I enjoyed staying here and walking to town each day. We took the largest upstairs room and paid 4000 rps for it. It had great views, a nice balcony, fast wi-fi and some of the best service in Sri Lanka. The funniest incident was when our neighbors tried to use the fireplace in the adjoining room and our room ended up full of smoke. Luckily our hosts were quickly able to extinguish the inflammatory issue (pun intended.)

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are newer with ensuite bath and downstairs rooms are cheaper and share a bathroom.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LannaAdventurer
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I had the most wonderful stay in the highland, staying at the Hill View Bungalow. The place is immaculately CLEAN, cosy with crispy sheets and great WIFI. You wake up to a magnificent view of the mountains of Nuwarah Eliya. With the cool weather, the hot showers are much appreciated. Last but not least, I most enjoyed the warm hospitality by Mali and family. She whips up the best dishes in a jiffy and I really felt like a treasured guest! Highly recommended to all!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends