“a wonderful family and unforgettable few days”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sincere Wilderness

and 1 more site!
Sincere Wilderness
Manchester, United Kingdom
“a wonderful family and unforgettable few days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

our stay with Lal and grace was a highlight of our trip to sri lanka. They are a special family and it was a real privilege to meet them and their friend Jaya. They are welcoming, kind, really hospitable, great company and have such a fntastic attitude to life.It was really good to get an insight into sri lankan life. Grace is a superb cook and it was lovely to watch and learn as she prepared meals. Jaya thank you so much for taking us round the sunday market it was a great experience. We will always have really fond memories of our visit ...hope one day we can return .

liz paul cal & alex xx

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank birchy2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

If you are looking for a home stay in the hill country don't look any further. High in the hills overlooking the town Lal and Grace have a little cottage for guests with plenty of space to relax. You can eat breakfast and dinner in their kitchen all of which is prepared using only fresh ingredients and tastes amazing. Be prepared, there's a lot of different dishes but it tastes so good you can't stop eating, even when you're full. They are great hosts and are lots of fun, offering lots of tips where to go and where to stay. If we come back to Sri Lanka we will book Lal to take us on a tour around lesser known parts of the country.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shalimar99
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Lal, Grace, and their daughter Romeni welcomed me with such generosity and kindness that I extended my stay beyond my original plans. From the moment I arrived I was given a fresh bouquet, a wonderful spread of delicious treats, and genuine curiosity in my story. Grace is a phenomenal cook and has been teaching me how to make various Sri Lankan dishes from sambol to curries, while Lal's encyclopedic knowledge of wildlife and nature continues to amaze me each day. This is not a place to spend the night, but rather a chance to meet some seriously AMAZING people. In a country that prides itself on hospitality, this family has managed to exceed all expectations. Get in touch -- I promise it will be a highlight of your trip!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mferng
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

homestay in a cute little cottage next to a very warm and welcoming family! they'll cook the most amazing food- and teach you how to if you are interested. they will also take you to trips around the area and have superb insight knowledge of plants and one of the last resorts of cloud rain forest. an absolut must!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank halli007
Asia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I called... last minute, as usual, to see if Sincere Wilderness had a place for me as I am a huge foodie and the photo of breakfast completely seduced me! Unfortunately, Lal had family to stay and his place was full... but instead he asked me to go for dinner there... as his guest. I ended up having both dinner and two breakfasts there - and there was food to match Morning Mist in Ella... Equal first or even a smidgen better.... :-) Is that possible?!

Nuwara Eliya for me was all about the food! The breakfasts were astounding and completely different each day.... a huge array of off-the-wall AMAZING food. The curry and rice was also superb.... And then it was a battle to give them anything in return, Lal wasn't having it. They are a fabulous, super friendly family and I really felt part of it all. Lal took me to the Cloud Rainforest for a very interesting and informative walk. He really knows his stuff... everything about the plant life and what each kind of plant or tree can do medicinally... impressive.... He also arranged for me to go up the mountain as it had been closed for many years as the army are based there, which was fun. I also recommend going to both St Andrew's, and I think it was the Grand Hotel for tea..., a bargain...makes you feel dead posh... superb tea and yummy homemade biscuits. Great fun, especially when you are on a budget.

Thanks for an amazing time Lal... I wish you had had room for me, as you showed me around your sweet cottage that you rent out. You and your family live downstairs and the upper two floors are for your guests... Can't wait to come back... what a beautiful place and I really miss your Michelin star style food... Lal's wife Grace is mainly the person who cooks these fabulous meals - though Lal also definitely did his bit for my second breakfast. Deelicious! You are multi talented!

I will keep in touch! Hope to visit again in the near future :-)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelAsiaAddict
Lhasa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Everyone who travels to Sri Lanka should stay at least one night here. This charming family of characters – Lal, Grace and Romeni de Silva – are the most open and warm-hearted people we met during our month-long trip. Lal is an encyclopaedia of knowledge, especially about the region’s flora & fauna, while Grace and Romeni can tell you pretty much anything about Sri Lankan cuisine as well as local medicinal herbs. This place is in my opinion a must for foodies. Prepared and presented with love and skill, the rice & curry is phenomenal. They’ll even show you how to cook it. The location, on the side of Sri Lanka’s highest mountain overlooking Nuwara Eliya, offers a panorama view of the town. What an experience! A ridiculously good value for the price, with extras often included (e.g. immediately forwarding the camera we left behind to us).

Room Tip: We would have stayed longer had the Sincere Wilderness cottage been available. Since it wasn't...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jogden1066
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Just happen to find the guest house when most of the "Lonely Planets" are full during X'mas peak season and it finally become the best memory ever of my Sri Lanka trip. Papa Silva just contact me via email before I arrive and he welcomes us at train station and took us back to his lovely house.

It's located almost top of the hill with stunning sunrise at 6am every morning but you can still walk to downtown in 10 minutes. It's quite cold during night at this tea garden place but they do offer heater and carpet. Mama has brought me welcoming flower when I arrive but the most impressive thing is her cooking talent! We just keep eating traditional family food from breakfast, lunch, tea time to dinner and dessert...Oh how can I not mention the two cute dogs!

Silva lives down stairs and leave the entire space with bedroom, living room and bath room to guests so you can enjoy totally private times but so grab Silva for chit chat, he will show you some secret places of Eliya ^^

I've heard Silva's reconstructing his house and can't wait for a family visit in the coming future!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple