“Rip-off on the whole line”
Review of Little Heaven

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nuwara Eliya
Little Heaven
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Was there 2 nights on the Easter week-end which is also Buddhist New Year so the town was packed. I had no reservation and found this place through one of the touts at the bus station. Apart from being overcharged (2500 r a night for one person without breakfast) and paying the commission, worst were:
- thevowner Wijitha asked for the whole amount 5 mins after my arrival, and not getting the money from me, he asked it another 3 times during my short 2 night stay
- from the monent I stepped into the room there was NO running water (let's not even talk about hot water as he told me I would have in the evening). Result: every night after coming back at 18 hr I had to wait for 1,30-2 hours to get cold and hot water both brought to me in buckets....
- the owner's attitude was absolutely unprofessional and badly mannered, insisting on having his money in advance when he cannot even provide running water, and insisting on telling all sorts if excuses..... he did not even offer breakfast to make up for the disagreements I had with the water issue. He gives a very bad image of his country!
So there are sooo many places (especially more close to downtown) you really do not need to end up here, and if you come in the very high season try to book in advance.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank zazabelle1

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed for one night In Little heaven and it was enough, the owner wijihta who we met at the train station, seemed very friendly at first but after a while the truth came out. He just lost it when we were having dinner at his house, started talking about war, killing, religion and that he is also a god and started to act just really weird and a bit aggressive. It all was just too uncomfortable and so strange. Rooms were not that nice and it was really cold in the night time. In the morning when we told him we are leaving hi started to shout at us and acted really aggressive again. We are two female travelers and this was the only place we had a bad stay in 4 weeks in Sri lanka. don't go there!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Nannika
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Spent one night here and wished I hadn't. The place seemed ok on first impressions and so did the owner Wijitha. But the place was in fact a mess and isolated from the road cos it was a small hut in the back garden. I never felt comfortable there or with wijitha. He is very pushy and was insisting I go on trips with him. He wanted me to pay him for a trip to the mountains which would start at 5am! He got obviously annoyed when I didn't want any of his trips. On top of this, in the evening he was insisting that I drank this Arak drink with him, a Sri Lankan coconut alcohol thing. I didn't want to, it was all very weird. I have only just read the reviews on tripadvisor of this place and wish I had seen them before so I wouldn't have stayed there. Just avoid. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Nickra60
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We are 2 female travellers and unfortunately took up Wijitha's overly persistent offers of a taxi from the station. He seemed ok and trustworthy enough at the time. He told us he had a guest house so we foolishly went to have a look. Ok, it's cheap and when you get there you see why. But that's ok, it was good enough to stay in for maybe a night. It's like a little hut thing randomly put up in his back garden. He told us there were 4 rooms but there were only 2... To cut a long story short, he made us very, very uncomfortable. After dinner he kept insisting we have some of his alcoholic drink which we kept refusing and refusing. He twice grabbed our hands to investigate the rings we were wearing. We started to get very uncomfortable and wanted to leave. He insisted on coming back to the hut with us despite us telling him not to. When we wouldn't go on his "tours" the day after he suddenly wanted the rent up front and for us to check out by 11 am. Then he told us he was going to paint the inside of the hut over night?! We had already decided it was all too weird and we're leaving. We packed our bags and went to leave, and then to our horror found that he had locked us in from the outside!! We got really scared. He is just not the kind of guy you want to have your stay with. He ruined our trip, we were so frightened for a while. We eventually got out and left, having had to pay for everything but we were just so relieved to get away in one piece.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rezholl
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I was approached by Wijitha as I was walking in the city center looking for accomodation. He offered me a free ride to see his place. As I am a 22 years old woman travelling by herself, it is not easy to trust people but he seems nice and honest so I followed him. The room was charming and clean and very affordable (with hot water and free wifi) compare to others places I've visited. He made a fireplace in the room because it was quiet cold in this period. One chinese woman was staying in an other room and she cooked dinner for the three of us. I stayed one night and at the morning we did a trek, we see tea planters women and I could click pictures of them. We had also a very good typical sri lankan breakfast. I sincerely recommend Wijitha's place, he will make his possible to make you enjoy your stay in Nuwera Eliya!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2014

In brief, since this story could be much longer, my stay at Wijitha's Little Heaven guesthouse was an uncomfortable one. Due to an another troubling incident at ramboda falls and subsequent court hearings I had to attend to in the region I spent nine nights total at his house. Wijitha seemed safe and trustworthy enough, though, and I won't go in to the longer details, he made me uneasy. Nevertheless, I stayed on despite this and him insistently offering me drinks and not listening when I said no. The kicker to this entire story and the basis of my warning is that at the end of my stay, when I was finally able to leave after the last court case, he told me that two of his friends told him I had invited them in to my room the night before (for you know what) by sticking my thumb out on the patio, and he informed me that that was not very nice and next time I'll have to pay more money. Luckily I was leaving at that very moment but I was unnervEd . What this tells me is that Wijitha unfortunately shares a common mentality here that a foreign woman would do something like this, casually, and though he did seen insulted, his main reaction was that I needed to "pay more money" for such an offence. This is an extremely bizarre mentality indeed. I warn any solo woman to be wary of his guesthouse and to practice caution throughout the country.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank sadie s
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Wijitha approached me when I got off the bus from Colombo and from then I was treated as a friend and a guest. He made breakfast and endless cups of tea. He was happy to show me around the town and even took me on a tour of the area on a motor bike I hired through Wijitha at a very reasonable rate. He also offered to take me trekking around the area but due to time was unable to do - would have been great.

The rooms where built by Wijitha and he is so proud of his little cottages and lovely gardens surrounding them and he has plans for more renovations. The rooms are charming and such great value with the fire place (not cold enough to light but still cute). The bath room was neat and the shared area out the front of the cottages is lovely to chill in - not just stuck in your bedroom.

For the price you are definately getting value for money. The only downside is it's around 5-10mins walk to town or 100 rupee in a Tuk Tuk which is nothing.

Thanks Wijitha for a lovely visit to Nuwara Eliya - I hope to return sometime soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo