“Not a good place for family with kids”
Review of The Hill Club

The Hill Club
Ranked #7 of 28 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
“Not a good place for family with kids”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Beautiful looking place with old british style, srilankans were not allowed.
Was saddened by this.
rooms were ok.
Food was not good
Staff wasnt very cooperative except one or two.
Being an Indian, i felt similar feel in the eyes of people taking breakfast on other tables as if they didn't like our presence.
Feel suffocated under such environment while we live in 21st century.
Outside ambiance was nice & you can stand with your sri lankan guide and feel being a liberated person.
Will no advise Tan skin family people to stay in this "historical property"

Room Tip: Family people should avoid this place
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Zubair I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We were initially disappointed to be shown two single beds instead of a double which we specifically requested prior to arrival, including a message asking the hotel to contact us if this was not available.
However, the room was otherwise well presented with good facilities.
The bathroom suite was tired with chips out of the bath.
It was a nice touch to have hot water bottles before bed!
The food was good though not exceptional for the price. The service and location were the highlights of our stay.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Turtlewings20142
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were met with disdain. We travelled with a group of people and all of us had the same issues. The rooms we had were smelly and old. The toilets were the worst in our stay in Sri Lanka.They have not maintained the furniture as i found it to be dusty.It was like staying in an old peoples home!! Definitely not for families, Definitely not for young couples, definitely not for groups....actually Im not sure who they are targeting.So much for the hype. No charm here! Don't bother, the hotel next door is much better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Katie J

Travellers are raving about these Nuwara Eliya hotels

Hangzhou, China
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel has a beautiful big garden. It's must be a wonderful experience if I had time to sit in the quite garden with a cup of tea. All the facilities seem old and remain the same from the day they were built. I had a pleasant time there. The hotel has a reading room and casual bar. The stuff are nice and friendly. But the mangos they gave us for free are not fresh. Overall, not bad.

Stayed June 2014
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I'd like to say that I had a wonderful time at this hotel, even though we were there for just one night. I will be back. We got a great deal on Booking.Com. The place feels like you've stepped back in time, the staff is formal and friendly. I've never stayed at a hotel quite like this before.

it was quite windy and rainy the night we were there but I loved the sound of the wind whistling around the hotel and through the gardens. Gorgeous.

I thought I would be chilly but when I returned to my room from the bar I found two hot water bottles (yes, way old school) tucked into my sheets. They lasted all night and into the morning. I have not slept with hot water bottles since I was a kid!

Above and beyond the call was when I found I had forgotten my bag with my laptop, passport, wallet and well, basically everything, at the hotel after driving six hours in my rental car to the Colombo Airport. My fault, my friend was sick and we were a bit stressed out.

I called the hotel (they need to list the phone number on TripAdvisor please, it was not easy to find it) and they not only had found the bag, but immediately sent a driver to meet me at the airport in time for my flight. They charged me about $100 for this service but I would have paid more.

Thank you again, kind staff, for not only keeping my bag but also for reacting so quickly with no hassles and no demand for upfront payment or anything like that. Great service!

We'll be back!

Room Tip: The hotel is old, granted, but it's cozy and good enough. They need more plugs in the rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SiamDivenSail
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I've never used trip adviser to review any resort or hotel so to post this means its either very good or not. Regrettably it's not. I'm one of a party of 15 who are touring Nepal, India and lastly Sri Lanka as part of a golf vacation.

We chose this resort because it appears to have all that we needed. The look and the feel of the "Club" are very colonial, which is fine, but sadly that's where it stops.

We all dressed for dinner (ties and jackets are compulsory for men) and so expected a superb evening. Of the 15 covers ordered, 14 arrived. Of those, three were Luke warm but 11 were cold to the point where they couldn't be eaten. I personally wasn't served at all even though one of the staff insisted he had but had subsequently taken it away because the dinner was cold.

7 of us eventually walked next door to the Grand Hotel which served superb food and in an atmosphere that was warm, welcoming and efficient.

I can't recommend the Hill Club for anything other than a quaint "British" drink in the "mixed bar". Beyond that, its best avoided and whilst more expensive, I would strongly suggest looking at the Grand Hotel, situated right next door.

Room Tip: Book next door in the Grand Hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Brian M
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed 3 nights here and totally fell in love with this hotel. the location is good. It's close to city center but very quiet. There's a shortcut to center through the golf yard and just need 5min walk to bus terminal, post office. The building, the garden r quite elegant. The housekeeping is good as well, they make up rooms twice a day. And keep the room comfortable. Above all, the reading room is the best of all hotel facilities. And it should be the best in whole Nuwara Eliya. I spent a lot of time there.

To defect, the food is average, even the famous heritage set dinner. Less choice of breakfast. The restaurant service is unstable. On the last morning, I stood at the door of restaurant and wait for the waiter bring me to a table, but they just took me a glance and walked away! It's really unprofessional! I understand there're some people only visit the hotel without consume. But I don't think somebody would visit a hotel in the ealy morning! To be honest, most staffs r so so. They look well-trained, but no heart! The old concierge is the best man of all staffs, who makes deep impression to me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo