“Exaggerated ! !”

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Lahore, Pakistan
“Exaggerated ! !”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my family at the top floor rooms ( ideal rooms for the best views ). Though the views were excellent, but I think this should be a hotel first and a historic tea site second..
The hotel management should pay more attention to the basic amnesties like sound proofing the rooms (trust me.. this is one major issue) , not charging wayy higher rates for rooms and stuff like extra beddings etc, providing good facilities for customers like a 'proper' gym / pool and some entertainment in the hotel too (it gets boring if u stay for more than a day here )
I Believe that they should not put all their focus on providing 'tea' only..and the heritage. ;)
They also provide driver residence with meals..which is a good thing.I asked my driver and he said he enjoyed more than us as all the drivers were having a party :D
Anyways, this place is recommended only If u have ample cash ( also they charge from ur credit card instantly if u r booking online ) and I suggest only for a day max. Rest u can stay at cheaper but gkod alternatives near the Lake gregory in nuwara elya which sure is a more peaceful and modern place

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Haaris A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Maidenhead
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The views from this unique hotel are wonderful.

Check in was extremely easy, the easiest in five months traveling. The room was very clean and comfortable, the bathroom could have been cleaner.

All the staff were very good always had a smile on their face.

The food here was only average. Breakfast was good, although quite a few flies.

We were given hot water bottles in the evening, which was a great extra.

We stayed one night, which we felt was just about right.

Our driver also stayed the night and didn't have a great experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StevenMaidenhead
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

After ask the great reviews on TripAdvisor, we added Nuwara eliya to our trip plan just to stay in HTF. It's a great place in a beautiful surrounding no doubt about that but over all hotel experience was pretty much average.
The train ride to Nuwara eliya was great and so was the drive to hotel. The view is awesome and so is the first impression on the hotel. The welcome with turmeric tikka n tea is good touch.
The pitch sale for private dinner at carriage and spa was over kill though.
The ambience and decor of the place matched with what we had expected with converted tea factory, staff in colonial uniform and old world charm. But the place over all had a worn and old look over all specially our room. Our room was on 1st floor and extremely small. Two single bed were joined to make double bed. People upstairs were very noisy and roof seemed to shake everytime someone walked. We could hear children scream and play til late in the night.
Restaurant and bar was good. There was huge amount of choices.
We stayed there a night so didn't get to do the tea picking tour. May be next time.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank geminigirl_2405
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Quite a long, treacherous drive to the hotel but once you arrive, it's like being in your own little world. After having stayed at another Heritance hotel and then this, I have come to believe that this brand equals top-notch quality and service. They have also retained and restored part of the tea factory and it adds an interesting and educational dimension to your stay. Very restful respite in hill country and btw, don't miss a hike in Horton Plains!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Goa, India
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for only 2 nights but it was the most relaxing time we had. The hotel is surrounded by tea cultivation on all sides and it is very beautiful.The weather was amazing. The hotel which was earlier a tea factory is fascinating. Wish I could do all of the activities they have at the hotel for the guests like walks, cycling, tea plucking, tea tasting etc. Will surely do it next time. Food was also very good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Timaru
Reviewed 16 June 2014

In Sri Lanka, anything that has got Aitken Spence Hotels attached to it would mean surety of quality. Heritance Tea Factory or abbreviated as HTF is no different. How innovative that is to convert an original Tea Factory into a themed hotel playing on the theme of bygone era of British Empire. For dinner, you even need to put on proper attire just to get in. For someone like me who never brought with me a decent set of proper attire during my travel, I ended up having room service instead. It's not too shabby, either. When Manoj brought in the food, he asked me if I dined alone and I said Yes. He raised his eyebrow because the whole cart was stacked with my food for my personal consumption. In other words, the generous has been more than generous and I had a delightful time dining in my room overlooking the breathtaking scenery in front of me. The staff ratio at this hotel is very high and so, you shall expect excellent service from the crew. They were taught well to engage in polite chit chat and even eye contact with the patrons. There is no such thing as no children's policy and so, I can understand why there's a hefty charge for the usage of pool table, just in case if irresponsible guests were being argumentative, better safe than be sorry. The hotel ground is delightful to roam around in and I couldn't help but smile with the children's playground that's decked with equipment that's painted in British racing green and imperial red. I suppose that God is in details indeed. Breakfast is delightful too, with a combination of Western and Eastern flavours. It's a nice touch to offer "hoppa" - Sri Lankan pancake instead of the Western offering. At the end of the day, we are visiting Sri Lanka and we should get outside our comfort zone to try out local delicacy, right? There are many other offerings such as pony ride, pick your own tea leaves, visiting to World's End, tea appreciation class but for me, I simply love to simply chill and do nothing and absorb the environment. HTF is a busy hotel and the sound insulation is not the best. This place is very popular with honeymooners and so, be prepared to listen to very LOUD sound of couples consummating their marriage!! Overall, a very good experience here but the only glitch is this: the double bed is simply two single beds being put together. And so, it's rather difficult for one person to sleep in the middle of the bed. Yes, it could get rather cold in the evening and the sound of the wind is rather scary. That being said, you needn't worry as there's a heater in the room. The body soup and shampoo are placed in tiny bottles with very tiny openings and so, it could be rather tedious to apply them during shower. Mind you, HTF has a environmental friendly policy and so, to prevent water from being wasted, then, it's imperative that shower could be done asap. WiFi signal is strong and you need two passwords to access your smartphone and laptop. The road to get here is VERY windy and even for a hardened traveller like myself, I find myself queasy for the very first time heading here but at the same time, the effort is truly worth it. The pillows given are hard and high. For a place like this, pillow menu should be a norm. Commendable visit indeed!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stunning location and a traditional warm welcome but... check-in was a little too fussy and we really could have done with just getting to our room (maybe skip the train carriage dining pitch). The food was good and reasonably priced compared to other hotels we stayed in. If I had a negative comment, it would be that you really shouldn't charge for use of the pool table and warning customers of the cost of repair to the green baize is a little over cautious.

This is a themed hotel where staff are dressed accordingly and certainly go above and beyond to make sure the service is fitting. The atmosphere was wonderful, especially so when the big steam power plant is started in the early evening.

We had a really early start in one morning leaving at 5:00 for Horton Plains National Park. The staff prepared a generous breakfast which was packed into paper bags and waiting for us on our departure.

Special thanks must go to the room boy who, after meticulous cleaning, also made a magnificent display of towel origami - two elephants on the bed. This was a really nice touch.

All in all a good experience in is a very unique hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor - not sure of the benefits but the views may be a little better and the n...