“Less than what I expected for the price HTF charged ! Experienced GHOSTS in the bedroom !”

Heritance Tea Factory
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The customer service is exceptionally good. All the staff I came across at the door, front desk, tea bar, dining area/buffet (Roshan, Umesh, Kaushalya, Pradeep and few others), room service, housekeeping and the organic tea factory were polite, professional, friendly, attentive, knowledgeable, helpful, courteous and had a great attitude. They did very well to make us feel comfortable and happy with the resources that has been provided to them which is not enough for the high prices the hotel charge their guests.

The rooms were below average. Not comfortable beds. The rooms should be sound proof. I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and didn't sleep well at all. It was so noisy even in the middle of the night. I'm afraid this hotel is haunted. I strongly believe there are ghosts in bedroom. I speak through experiences I had in the room at night. My mother who stayed with me said the same thing. She hasn't slept well either. Which is obvious because it's such an old place. Also we hear people talking and walking in corridors, other rooms and at the kitchen in the middle of the night.

The hotel needs to be well lit inside even during the day. I don't know why they turn off the lights during the day. You do charge us a lot of money for all the services I'm sure you can afford to pay the bills.

We had breakfast, lunch and dinner on all days we stayed at HTF hotel and everything is over priced for that below average quality of the food. I personally love good food and am ready to pay expensive rates for good food. But the food at the buffet and the A la carte menu was disappointing. Very few choices at the buffet too. The food didn't taste good either.

I used the spa for a manicure, pedicure and a full body massage. The Indonesian ladies were very friendly and professional. They did a great job. Well done!

Please do something about the noisy rooms and the ghost problem. Please make the beds, linen, pillows, bathroom and toiletries more appealing and comfortable. I feel it was an absolute waste of money and time staying at your hotel for 4 nights. There's hardly anything to do. You should add more facilities to keep your guests entertained e.g. Live band, swimming pool, games room, proper gym, few shops etc. Also please add more choices in your menus and buffet and make the food more flavoursome and appealing.

Over all I'm disappointed with the quality and standard of the hotel. It wasn't a comfortable relaxing experience. It's not your staff fault it's the management. Staff did very well with the little that was provided to them but the management should spend money to make it more pleasant and enjoyable for the guests. I don't think I'll return to this hotel again. Big thank you to all the lovely staff for the great service :-)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MissPepperCorn
Hetherset, General Manager at Heritance Tea Factory, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Customer,
We thank you to have selected HTF and to have stayed with us for four nights and for your valuable feed back.We are glad that you have liked the service provided by the staff and their attitude towards the customer .
We also thank you to have mentioned about the negative experiences which you have had in regard to the room and the food. We will definitely look into all the shortcomings you have highlighted and rectify them immediately.
In regard to the ghost you have mentioned,this is a surprise to all at HTF and the first time we have got a comment as such. You may realize that we have more than 1000 reviews and none of our guests have commented about any ghosts in the hotel.The hotel is more than 18 years in operation with a year round occupancy of 80% ,many guests have stayed at HTF , we could assure that not a single customer had experienced something like this before.
We once again thank you to have stayed at HTF and for your valuable review ,we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Sri Lanka.
Sincerely

Reviewed 6 July 2014

a long way to get to this hotel we only stayed a night so the whole experience was rushed i would say it would be best to have two nights.the hotel is in good order but not at a five star standard perhaps four star. We had room service dinner which was ok . The breakfast was excellent and the staff were all fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2014

It was quiet a trek to the "off the beaten" track hotel, but definitely worth the long drive. The views from the hotel are amazing, rolling hills covered with terraced tea plantations. A lovely welcome, greeted with some delicious spiced tea & warm towel. The staff throughout the hotel were all very friendly and helpful. We dined in the train carriage, TCK 6685 and the food was delicious but a bit pricey but nice for a treat.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cunga22
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Staying in this hotel is truly a unique experience. The hotel has an ambience of old-world charm, from the lift with its manually-operated doors to the old-fashioned sign outside the dining room stating the dress code.

The service was splendid, and the staff were also very friendly to my four-year-old son, playing with him and making him feel right at home.

We went on a tea leaf picking session and they managed to rustle up a mini sarong for my four-year-old son, much to his delight.

Unfortunately, we could not dine in the Railway Carriage Restaurant because children were not allowed during dinner service. The manager offered to arrange a child-minder for us while we had dinner; we declined it, but it was a nice gesture. They did allow us onto the carriage before dinner service to just take a look.

Our stay here was comfortable, and what I really appreciated about this hotel is that, unlike all the other hotels we stayed in in Sri Lanka, this hotel offers ample lighting in the bedroom - enough light to read by even.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The opportunity to stay in a tea factory on a tea plantation was what attracted us to this hotel. The drive up is long and winding but the views en route are spectacular. The welcome at the hotel was friendly and the main ground floor area is well presented. The rooms were on the cool side so heaters are provided together with extra blankets which were needed! Felt the facilities in the room were on the mean side, no cushions or extra pillows for sitting up in bed and admiring the views. Only tea making as standard although coffee can be requested. Toiletries minimal and difficult to get out of their containers. Restaurant a strange affair with buffet set menu. You select from the menu then collect some parts yourself whilst other courses are delivered. First time I've left a restaurant still feeling hungry! Feel hotel pays more attention to cost saving than guest satisfaction.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard G
Reviewed 1 July 2014

One of the best period hotels that I have ever been to. They have an excellent staff with service attitude and everybody around is quite helpful. The colonial look and feel, maintenance of old tea factory setting add to the beautiful locales outside.

Positives: Just about everything- views, food, service quality, cleanliness, garden nearby, special touch for honeymooners..

Negatives: nothing against the property but the drive from Colombo airport/Kandy is tiring and long for the distance.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a better view and are quieter. But they also have a higher tariff.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed with my family at the top floor rooms ( ideal rooms for the best views ). Though the views were excellent, but I think this should be a hotel first and a historic tea site second..
The hotel management should pay more attention to the basic amnesties like sound proofing the rooms (trust me.. this is one major issue) , not charging wayy higher rates for rooms and stuff like extra beddings etc, providing good facilities for customers like a 'proper' gym / pool and some entertainment in the hotel too (it gets boring if u stay for more than a day here )
I Believe that they should not put all their focus on providing 'tea' only..and the heritage. ;)
They also provide driver residence with meals..which is a good thing.I asked my driver and he said he enjoyed more than us as all the drivers were having a party :D
Anyways, this place is recommended only If u have ample cash ( also they charge from ur credit card instantly if u r booking online ) and I suggest only for a day max. Rest u can stay at cheaper but gkod alternatives near the Lake gregory in nuwara elya which sure is a more peaceful and modern place

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family