“A lovely place”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After reading some reviews on here I was worried about what to expect. I had a pleasant surprise. I was first shown a smoking room after requesting non smoking and refusing this I was given a lovely spacious room in the non smoking section of the hotel, which is small. I think some rooms have been upgraded slightly over others, but this hotel has an old world charm about it. It has old style decor, but is not actually old. We ate at the Magnolia restaurant for dinner and the entree and mains were good value for money and tasty, wine is pricey. There are a few improvements needed- toilet doesn't flush well, the kettle was dirty and lid broken and a bar fridge needed. The lounge area is lovely for a drink or a tea and so is the cafe attached. I had an issue waiting 40min for a drink and the waiter arguing with me why I refused to pay this, but the manager was able to sort this out. But this should not happen. This is a lovely place and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: A non smoking area room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,179)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We arrived early evening on our Saga Sri Lankan Adventure tour in June 2014. After finding our room I dashed out to the gardens to take photographs as the weather was of a typical English summers day with the threat of rain. Lovely flower arrangements in every public room and a Big Screen in one of them as the World Cup was playing whilst we stayed there. Food delicious. Bedroom dated but quant to have a pretend fireplace with an electric fire in it. Bathroom from the 1980's with a bath and a shower over the bath.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Manager_Grandhotel, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for reviewing us. We are so happy to learn that we were able to provide you a most enjoyable time at the Grand. We at the grand are constantly thinking of ways of adding value to the guest experience which is why we have introduced a number of dining options including the acclaimed Grand Indian and the newly opened Grand Thai, both led by expat Chefs from India and Thailand respectively. We do hope your stay in Nuwara Eliya was a good one and hope to see you again. Best wishes from all of us at the Grand. Sincerely, Resident Manager.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I had a bad stay. I feel terrible to travel to Lanka now. Hotel staff stole my wallet and stole my money. Nothing else to say. Please be V careful if you ever stay in this hotel.Management will never take any responsibility if anything is stolen or lost.

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank Nohamed
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

I went to this gorgeous hotel on a family trip. The room has an very ancient touch to it. The food is good. I do love the garden.
However, it is quite expensive. I would not stay here if I travel solo or with my friends. Overall, I had a good experience here. If you have the money, go for it!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Currently traveling around Sri Lanka but opted for 4/5* hotels as mother and daughter traveling alone? After checking in, We were told where our room was, but not shown to it, The room was disgusting, apart from overlooking correlated roofs it was filthy, hairs on the bed and dirt and old spiders in the bathroom. We were moved to another room, same view but holes in the sheets and then moved again to our third room. Much more spacious but extremely dated ( old and renovated is glorious but old, dirty and dated is not)nothing like the pictures on the website, no mini bar, bathroom from the 50's, and a tv that should have been disposed of years ago. The ambiance when you walk into the hotel is lovely, but after that expectations fall short and are very much 2* rather then 5*, living in the luxury of the Middle East we have have very high expectations, I would certainly not recommend this hotel to friends and families or be tempted to come back again. Not tried to food yet but hope it is better than the hotel.

Room Tip: Best tip, not to go here! If you are here ask for a room with a view or you may end up in a room tha...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Teresa S
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We recently stayed for three nights - to summarise our comments:
1. The room amenities were average - bathroom amenities; cleanliness of room; room décor; and room comfort were all poor.
2. The hotel is beautiful and the public spaces are fine but our room was in desperate need of updating, especially the bathroom which was truly awful - it's all too old fashioned and scruffy...
3. I would expect a hotel of this perceived quality to offer Wi-Fi in all guest rooms not just in the lobby and to provide dressing gowns for all its guests...

While we would not hesitate to recommend Sri Lanka as a destination and to also recommend the other three hotels in which we stayed, sadly the same cannot be said for the Grand Hotel which is only grand in name...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simon G
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We chose this hotel after lot of deliberations. And must say the first view of the hotel was stunning, beautiful landscape garden, nice location overseeing the golf Course, Colonial feel.
The Breakfast spread was good with lot of varieties and a large dining hall.

But the external beauty is marred by the small, congested and dilapidated rooms. we had booked a deluxe room but it looked and felt more like a standard room considering the amenities. The Lobby was beautiful and we found most of the guests spending time in the lobby.
The management should focus on the rooms and amenities
The Staff was very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple