After a long journey we arrived at St. Andrews Nuwaraeliya on 22nd January 2013, having spent the prvious night at Vil uyana Dambulla, with expectations for a nice and warm welcome from another friendly Jetwing hotel staff. Please note that we picked this beautiful hotel to spend our second night of honeymoon mainly due to its location and reputation.
However, a surprise was awaiting us, we found out that despite the fact that this being another Jetwing hotel, the front desk staff to be less organised when compared to Vil uyana.
When we asked for our reservation we weren't provided with same level of courtesy or cooperativeness we experienced in Vil uyana. At the moment we hardly took any notice of this, however as the evening progressed this become more apparent through various incidents as follows.
1. No body knew which type of a room we should have been booked into, after sending and receiving few emails asking for confirmation of the deluxe room we booked on full board basis, it was more or less expected that on arrival everything will be set for us.
2. Leave that aside, other than rushing us to a room which wasn't a deluxe but a next level down Superior, they didn't even have the common courtesy to explain us that this will be a Superior which is one level down.
3. Once we were shown our room, I dug out my laptop and had a look at the conversation I had between the central reservation/front desk hotel and myself, regarding the room booking. After all, the front desk staff is due the credit of making me confused of my own choice.
After realising that I had had booked a deluxe room I went back to the front desk with the reservation details. (Reservation ref no. and date of the last email) This is when things took a rather unpleasant turn. The bloke who worked there not only didn't show any care about what I had to say, but told me in his own words ' I can't book you into a deluxe room now, mainly because you are here for only one night'
Well I thought this is it, so I came back to my room and looked at the emails in detail.
4. Once I saw that there's this confirmation email from hotel front desk written by a so called Lakshika Gunesekara, I went back to front desk again, trying to get hold of this person half expecting that she'll be available and we will be given the room we deserve, however the girl behind the front desk asked me whether I would like to talk to her at that particular hour sounding like I shouldn't, and then threw some tariff details at me saying that deluxe rates has gone up since the last time I talked to them and then asked me to make a complaint or forward the correspondence I had to an email address sounding like that no matter what I do people at front desk are invincible.
This brought the conversation to an end, I didn't want to have my honeymoon ruined due to some people who are being rude to me at my own expense. However, I thought I will do the right thing by saying this to the rest of the world so, they won't get caught by surprise, if they gonna come across the same treatment while visiting this.
On the plus side I must mention that hotel restaurant staff to be very friendly and accommodating. Further hotel and grounds to be very beautiful.
I have my concerns (as a frequent traveler across UK and an occasional traveler across Europe) about the standards of the room that was given to us as well, however I don't wanna bring them up here in detail, but I would like to put it this way. Most of the premier inn (UK) rooms are of a better standard especially the bathroom than this where you might only pay half of what you pay here.
Final conclusion, a nice hotel at a beautiful location let down by unprofessional front desk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Standing out amidst the inspiring scenic beauty of mist shrouded mountains and lush greenery, Jetwing St. Andrew’s enjoys a captivating locale in Sri Lanka’s hill capital Nuwara Eliya. Retaining its unique, old world charm, the hotel is now a grand colonial residence that exudes a sense of historic grandeur. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Jetwing St. Andrew’s reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St Andrews Hotel
- Hotel St Andrews