“Confused front desk”

Jetwing St. Andrew’s
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed 23 January 2013

After a long journey we arrived at St. Andrews Nuwaraeliya on 22nd January 2013, having spent the prvious night at Vil uyana Dambulla, with expectations for a nice and warm welcome from another friendly Jetwing hotel staff. Please note that we picked this beautiful hotel to spend our second night of honeymoon mainly due to its location and reputation.

However, a surprise was awaiting us, we found out that despite the fact that this being another Jetwing hotel, the front desk staff to be less organised when compared to Vil uyana.

When we asked for our reservation we weren't provided with same level of courtesy or cooperativeness we experienced in Vil uyana. At the moment we hardly took any notice of this, however as the evening progressed this become more apparent through various incidents as follows.

1. No body knew which type of a room we should have been booked into, after sending and receiving few emails asking for confirmation of the deluxe room we booked on full board basis, it was more or less expected that on arrival everything will be set for us.
2. Leave that aside, other than rushing us to a room which wasn't a deluxe but a next level down Superior, they didn't even have the common courtesy to explain us that this will be a Superior which is one level down.
3. Once we were shown our room, I dug out my laptop and had a look at the conversation I had between the central reservation/front desk hotel and myself, regarding the room booking. After all, the front desk staff is due the credit of making me confused of my own choice.
After realising that I had had booked a deluxe room I went back to the front desk with the reservation details. (Reservation ref no. and date of the last email) This is when things took a rather unpleasant turn. The bloke who worked there not only didn't show any care about what I had to say, but told me in his own words ' I can't book you into a deluxe room now, mainly because you are here for only one night'
Well I thought this is it, so I came back to my room and looked at the emails in detail.
4. Once I saw that there's this confirmation email from hotel front desk written by a so called Lakshika Gunesekara, I went back to front desk again, trying to get hold of this person half expecting that she'll be available and we will be given the room we deserve, however the girl behind the front desk asked me whether I would like to talk to her at that particular hour sounding like I shouldn't, and then threw some tariff details at me saying that deluxe rates has gone up since the last time I talked to them and then asked me to make a complaint or forward the correspondence I had to an email address sounding like that no matter what I do people at front desk are invincible.

This brought the conversation to an end, I didn't want to have my honeymoon ruined due to some people who are being rude to me at my own expense. However, I thought I will do the right thing by saying this to the rest of the world so, they won't get caught by surprise, if they gonna come across the same treatment while visiting this.

On the plus side I must mention that hotel restaurant staff to be very friendly and accommodating. Further hotel and grounds to be very beautiful.

I have my concerns (as a frequent traveler across UK and an occasional traveler across Europe) about the standards of the room that was given to us as well, however I don't wanna bring them up here in detail, but I would like to put it this way. Most of the premier inn (UK) rooms are of a better standard especially the bathroom than this where you might only pay half of what you pay here.

Final conclusion, a nice hotel at a beautiful location let down by unprofessional front desk.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Janaka R
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Dear Guest,

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay at Jetwing St. Andrew’s. I understand that this is not behavior that is warranted on a vacation let alone a honeymoon. Jetwing hospitality is considered a truly distinctive quality and is an attribute that has brought us to where we are. I am truly sorry that we did not uphold these high standards on your visit.

I am, however, glad that you enjoyed the hotel, our associates in the restaurant and the breathtaking surroundings of the highlands. I do hope that you one day return to the property to experience the real Jetwing St. Andrew’s.

We wish you all the best as you take your first steps together as husband and wife and hope to see you someday in the future.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

St Andrews is a very grand, historical hotel perfectly placed for exploring the tea plantations around Nuwara Eliya. The atmosphere sends you back 100 years (but don't worry, it's got all the mod cons), high tea on the lawn, a log fire and library oozed old world charm. I was greeted with hot soup, which after a long drive, went down very well. The staff were super attentive and friendly, the food great and the room spacious. I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lauren12345
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor and making such a fine recommendation of our hotel. Jetwing St. Andrew’s being over a century old has a lot of character and history attached to it and being part of the Jetwing brand sets the standards extremely high. We are really happy that we have delighted you with our distinctive Jetwing hospitality and hoping to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and had a most amazing time. The service at the hotel and the restaurant was really good..as it was quite chilly it was pleasantly surprising to find hot water bottles in our beds :). The food was delicious..dinner had a la carte or set menu options .. both delicious. Breakfast was buffet style and the selection catered to all tastes. During our stay it was my boyfriend's birthday..the hotel organised for a surprise Birthday cake for him..a really nice touch. Anyone who visit Sri Lanka should really stay at this place..enjoy..

Room Tip: We stayed at a deluxe room...it had a mezzanine area with an extra double bed so is perfect for fami...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aina A

Dear Guest,

Please accept a very big thank you for posting such a lovely review on Trip Advisor. We are grateful to your kind words and compliments and they will be shared with the team. Your comments on the ambience, rooms and services were greatly appreciated.

We hope to see you soon, until then best wishes from all of us at Jetwing St. Andrew’s.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

The plan was to visit Ella. But when the train line was washed out and getting there by road was risky (to say the least), a two night stay at St Andrew's was on the cards...

It's been a while since we're stayed at a genuine historic hotel that smells and feels original. From the billiard room to the dining hall, you really feel like you're stepping back in time.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable and the food is of a good standard but not life-changing.

A short stroll and you're in town, but why not stroll around the extensive gardens - a nice asset for the hotel.

Glad we stayed here - a lucky accident.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FreqFlyerAU

Dear Guest,

We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay with us even though it was not planned. The old English charm truly is an essential component of this property and we are glad you appreciated it.

Thanking you very much for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Stayed here for 1 night as part of a Mercury Cultural Tour, it really is like stepping back in time to the days of the Empire and seems almost out of place with wood panelling and open fires, your welcome drink is not an exotic cocktail but a hot cup of soup. Due to the altitude the weather is very different to the what we experienced previously. We went for a walk round Nuwara Eliya after checking in and I would definitely recommend this, the sights and sounds of this town and it's market should be experienced. The highlight of our stay was the evening meal, the food was exceptional, the A La Carte menu was a real surprise that we thoroughly enjoyed. The hotel and facilities are a little tired but reflect perfectly the ambience of the hotel, all in all a fantastic experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fiona_Tug

Dear Guest,

We thank you sincerely for taking the time to write down your experience at Jetwing St. Andrew’s. The hotel is a British colonial style mansion, which we are proud to be able to preserve and share with our guests. While attending to every need of our guests, we strive to adhere to the ambiance and charm of the hotel, which we believe brings out the uniqueness of the experience. We will share your thoughts regarding the a la carte menu with our culinary team and they will surely be encouraged by that.

Hope to share with you again the Jetwing experience and hospitality in the very near future.

Reviewed 18 January 2013

we stayed 2 nights here in Jan 2013. It is good hotel. well maintained. Walking distance to Market, 5 mins walk.
The Rooms are large and well maintained. the furniture is nice. Bathroom is good neat and clean
The staff is helpful and speaks good english.
The Break fast is Ok. We found BF in other Sri Lanka hotels better.The restaurant is dimly lit. it does not get direct sunlight as well.
We did not have meals here as we did not like the dimly lit restaurant and quality of BF.
walk to market for better and cheaper food. Grand restaurant is 15 mins walk it has lovely Indian food but is gets full by 6.15 pm for Dinner.There after you have to wait for 1 hour or so to get a place to sit.

Room Tip: First Floor Rooms facing market are best.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for choosing to stay at Jetwing St. Andrew’s during your recent visit to Nuwara Eliya. Your comments will be sent to all relevant associates as we believe this to be very important in further development.

We thank you for sharing your comments and look forward to your return visit in the future.

Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

We have just spend the night at this hotel as part of a four day trip around Sri Lanka. We are celebrating our honeymoon so they upgraded our room to the "gem suite" which was lovely. It's the first hotel on our trip where we felt & were treated like true honeymooners. They came in a decorated the bed with flowers, fruit plater and reserved us a table in the restaurant. The staff couldn't have been more attentive.
The hotel felt like we were in the English country side with beautiful gardens to walk around, cosy fires, tea rooms and even a quirky pub! The restaurant served a variety of foods including mash potatoe and beef pie with a soft pastry top.

The only downside would be that it was really cold as its in the hills so the small heater didn't quite do the job of heating the big suite. I cant speak on behalf of the other rooms but alot of the reveiws have commented on the hotel looking shabby I would agree that the corridors could be better looked after but got to say it sort of adds to the charm and rustic look. It is at the end of the day an old hotel and we felt we had stepped back in time which added to the experience. All in all a delightful stay.

• Stayed: January 2013
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write down your experience at Jetwing St. Andrew’s and posting it on Trip Advisor. We are happy to note that we have exceeded your expectations. It is truly gratifying to read through your review and your appreciation towards old colonial mansions with fire places and the very best of English cuisine.

We are scheduled to go into refurbishment for all public areas and this would be sure to bring out the best of Jetwing St. Andrew’s without disrupting the unique experience that the hotel offers.
Once again appreciate your comments and wish to serve you again soon.