“Simple and Peaceful”

Jetwing St. Andrew’s
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Ok, I took my Srilankan Holiday when I was so much overworked at my job and the city life. I just wanted to escape - on a budget :)

Of all the trips I have made this one will always be in my heart and even when I write this review I have a smile on my face. I mean this place was awesome.

I live in UAE and have seen many luxurious hotels...but what makes this hotel different was that it was simple. The staff really was wonderful.

Yes since its an old place you will feel the Colonial Atmosphere still alive...
Despite of being so old it was clean and didnot give me that creepy feeling of being in a wrong place. I was at peace.

Do go to the lake near by and do kayaking, clycling , boat rides.. have tea (Hotel tea was awesome even if we made it in the room) I tried it again in UAE :( too bad didnot taste the same because of the water... looks like i have to go back again to this place!

We didnot get a lot of time here... Next time when I go Ill just be here for atleast a few days...

Ask for shisha its awesome -

Room Tip: Ask for quiter rooms ...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelFreaks86
Jetwing H, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your magnificent review, we are thrilled to know that you had a wonderful experience at Jetwing St. Andrew’s and that you truly enjoyed NuwaraEliya.

It is a pleasure for us to read such positive lines so we know that we are on the right path in providing high standards of service. We shall pass on your kind comments to all the relevant departments.

We also would like to thank you for pointing out the excellent selection of teas and service provided to you in our restaurant The Old Course.

Hoping to serve you again on your next trip to Sri Lanka.

Upul Leukebandara

Write a ReviewReviews (1,597)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The location was superb and I stayed for two days in a Deluxe room. You can access the town center easily and it is in walking distance. Staff was friendly and willing to offer anything.

The room was a pretty good one and it has got two beds up stairs. The wooden finishing in the room is attractive. The breakfast was quite awesome and there were so many choices you can go for.
I had arranged a photographer to take some photos but he couldn't come due to some unavoidable reason and then the hotel arranged me another preferred day for my shoot in the hotel premises.

Overall a good stay.

Thanks

Room Tip: I would recommend a Deluxe room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your review, regarding your recent stay at Jetwing St. Andrew’s.

We are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. Our hotel is indeed closely situated to all attractions and entertainment, and I’m happy that we were able to meet your expectations.
We do hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

This is a charming, character hotel, with lovely historic interiors. You arrive to beautifully laid out front lawns and gardens.

The interior is old world, historic, and has a lovely antique feel. They keep old hotel ledgers and books on display which you can thumb through, to get an insight into hotel activities 50 years ago.

The front of the hotel has a small bar, a separate lounge, and an odd 'graffiti' room. ( A small lounge. I gather this is being painted out and re-themed. Good idea as it doesn't fit in.)

There is a snooker room with delightfully old world wooden wall panels.

The main dining room is split into 2 halves : the original dimly lit, historical one, and the other half that appears to be a later add on, that is conservatory style.

The good and the bad :

The good :
1. fantastic service. Of all the hotels we stayed in during our trip, this is the one with the most genuine and helpful staff.

2. Atmosphere. Steeped in history and artefacts.

3. Rooms - caveat and warning here : we had the double height, duplex room on the third floor. Very spacious and nicely equipped. Good WiFi coverage. During our two nights however, we walked past the open doors of the standard rooms on the ground floor, and were shocked. Very basic and depressing. Would have hated to stay in those. Dark and damp.

4. Public rooms - cosy and inviting, with a nice log fire (if they remember to light it)

The not so good:
1.Food - I hate to say this, as I really wanted to like it. We ate both buffet and a la carte. The evening buffet was dull, overcooked and the meats were tough. The price was too high for the quality provided R2000+. They do offer you a half buffet, or certain 'sides' of the buffet at a reduced price. But that doesn't change the poor quality of cuisine. The a la carte is standard fare. Equally poorly cooked. The wait staff, though, are excellent and extremely willing.

2. Standard rooms are shocking

3. Size of public rooms, lounge and bar. All are small, with limited seating... if it were high season, I have no idea where everyone would sit.

Summary : a lovely stay, and one of the highlights of our trip round Sri Lanka.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Travel-Luxe1
Jetwing H, General Manager at Jetwing St. Andrew’s, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Jetwing St. Andrew’s during your recent visit to NuwaraEliya and for taking the time to share such detailed and valuable feedback on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to know that your stay with us, counted as one of your highlights in Sri Lanka!

We are thrilled to hear that our associates without exception exemplify the true meaning of providing outstanding service. We do work very hard to ensure the highest level of service possible is provided to all our guests and we are delighted that you appreciated our efforts.

We are sorry to hear that our cuisine didn’t meet your expectations. However, your comments have been noted, for any improvement, and will be shared with the relevant teams concerned.

We will be carrying out some exciting upgrades and refurbishment to the Hotel this year in order to strengthen our current offering and positioning as a brand with outstanding services and quality products.

We very much hope to welcome you back to our charming colonial Hotel in the not too distant future, where you can experience the difference.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

It was past 10 p.m when we arrived and had a difficulty in locating the place. Directions given by very few whom we met misled and had to roam about. By the time we arrived the buffet was closed though we informed of our late arrival, but the management prepared a quick snack for us. They maintain the colonial atmosphere and you can feel it everywhere. The rooms are very clean and comfortable The food was very good and the staff was very friendly. The two days we spent was really comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We sincerely thank you for choosing to stay at Jetwing St. Andrew's during your recent visit to NuwaraEliya and for your kind comments on Trip Advisor.

I shall be happy to pass your wonderful comments and discuss with culinary team regarding food for any improvement.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to our old colonial gem.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as a solo traveler on a tour.

The staff was lovely - suggesting things to try on the buffet and calling me and waiting when I was inadvertently late for breakfast.

Food is very good - nighttime buffet a reasonable slr 2300. Nice tea based cocktails.

Only issue was a bit of noise night and early morning.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LizD88

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and convey your kind comments and observations having stayed with us here at Jetwing St. Andrew’s. It will be my pleasure to convey your positive feedback to all the teams concerned who will be very happy to know their efforts are recognized and praised.

We are very proud of our team and our food, and we are glad to hear that both exceeded your expectations, this is something we strive to achieve with all of our guests. We shall work positively to improve the issue,that you have mentioned.

Wishing you all the best and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for one night as part of a cultural Kandy tour and in the end we were glad it was only one night. We got a small cup of soup when checking in (lovely touch and it did taste nice). Our room was very spacious,clean and decorated nicely. There were some issues with the windows, bathroom and general noise during the night. We also experienced the power going off 3 times during the evening (during our meal and 2 more times watching TV in our room - one when having a shower). We felt the food was poor (lots of bones and gristle) with limited choice and we are not fussy eaters. The hall leading to our room (at the end) looked like something out of a film - all we were waiting for was a small boy on a trike being chased by 'Jonny'. (See picture). Unfortunately it was a full moon so they were not serving drinks. The grounds were nice and it was a short walk to town but on the whole we were not very impressed.

Room Tip: I think our room was 206.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BC_and_LR

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Jetwing St. Andrew’s during your brief visit to NuwaraEliya and for taking the time to share such valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

First of all, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you may have encountered during your stay. We are surprised by your experience and rest assured our management team is following it up to prevent any similar situations from recurring.

We are very much delighted and appreciative to read your comments regarding your room, welcome drink, and hotel landscape. We are very happy that we exceeded you expectations, it will be my pleasure to relay your positive feedback to all the teams concerned.

It would be a pleasure to have you stay with us again, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any help the next time you plan your holiday in NuwaraEliya.

Upul Leukebadara

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed in Jetwing on 22 June 2014. Charming place steeped in old world charm. Part of the lounge area however is covered in graffiti which seems completely out of place in this hotel. Stayed with 3 kids so we had a loft style room which suited everyone. Food was good but dinner service a bit chaotic with waiters, although very charming, fussing around without really getting the job done. The main issue however which detracted from our stay was music played by loudspeaker from an adjoining school which began before 7am. This continued on and off for approx 30 mins. Complained to reception but it seems there was little they could do. Overall enjoyed our stay though

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family