“Damp, cold, smelly”

Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Nuwara Eliya
Hong Kong, China
“Damp, cold, smelly”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Worst hotel on my trip...
Bedsheets, pillows, carpets were all moldy and dirty.
They didn't even provide towels... and even if they did... they too would be too dirty to use. I'm surprised that there were no cockroaches.

The new manager was accomodating and friendly, so perhaps he will help to turn things around because this hotel needs a serious revamping.

I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: don't stay here... there are no good rooms out of the 3 that I saw.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank sfernand0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I went to Nuwara Eliya with my family members (12 adults & 4 kids) while I am in vacation. We went to the Sunhill (They called Hotel) November 12th around 8.30 pm. We got 3 tripple room(each Rs. 4200/=) and 2 double room(each Rs. 3500/=).Same time I said we gonna have dinner here, just arrange for us.They start to arrange the table around 10.00 pm after I have stay at the restuarant and gave the direction to the kids(They called waiters). Finally we got foods 10.45pm. I think they went to shop after I gave an order. That time nother young couple came to reception and ask for double room. They got a room next to me(Room 202) only Rs. 2500/=. I have got really shock.There is no standerd price. Are you still call that a hotel.
Room is smelly. Bed and blanket ice cold.There are TV each and every room, but 4 of them not working. The other one didnt have a remote. more than 3 time we ask for it. Couldnt help. They have lots of kids working without experience and respect. They just came in side the room without asking.
Next day we went to breakfast. We had string hoppers and few curries.After eat my wife ask for a finger bowl. One kid ask her to go to kitchen and use that sink. Then I have looked around and I saw next table had finger bowl. I ask him about it. He said we have only 6 finger bowl. They have charge me Rs. 700 + 10% for 1 mega soda and 1 mega coca cola bottle.
They still call this place "A Star class HOTEL". But its not any more. Few years ago they had one star. Now hotel board took that star awy. Can you imaging how good there service and cleanliness.

If any body want to contact me: I am Mansil Kamburugamuwa, e-mail: montel73@hotmail.com

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank Nate K

Travellers are raving about these Nuwara Eliya hotels

Colombo
Reviewed 4 June 2011

The rooms were not good and the food was very expensive. The hosts were very unwelcoming. :( evey evening after 6 you hear a loud prayer going on the kovil or something nearby and its annoying we couldn't sleep.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank astroanu
england
Reviewed 1 September 2009

we were due to stay there on the 3rd day of our tour on arrival there was a musty smell inside the hotel.they only had one room instead of the two booked then found us a 2nd room which clearly had,nt been used for a while.damp smelly sheets and stains on the carpet with a horrible musty smell and flies around the hotel.clearly no way was we going to spend a nite there so had to move to another hotel

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank chelseawolves
Burnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2007

Me and my wife went to Nuwara Eliya for a 3 day holiday.
We considered a lot of places to stay from 4* hotels to small inns. The hotels are severely overpriced and the inns were of sub standard. Sun Hill gave us a great rate and the room we've got was excellent when the price is concerned. We had a room with hot water and TV, wall to wall carpeting. The cons were the food, it was not up to standard and the rooms were located 4 floors above without a lift!
I would say go there to stay, but eat out!
Shanake De Fonseka
London

• Liked — Cheap, value for money
  • Disliked — climbing floors without a lift
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple