“Hidden gem!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yilan County
Canaan Bed & Breakfast Yilan
Ranked #23 of 1,143 Yilan County B&B and Inns
Taipei, Taiwan
“Hidden gem!!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We loved, loved, loved our stay at Canaan Cottage! William and his wife were great! We showed up earlier than check-in time, William came out and apologized our room wasn't ready. We were fine with that, we just wanted to make sure we could find the place and let him know we'd be back late. He showed us some of the bugs and flowers before we took off, he also said at 7 the fireflies would be out. We canceled our plans for that time and we were back by 7, my husband and 2 year old son had never seen a firefly before. William walked us and other guest around the garden, it's not the time for fireflies so we saw about 20( I guess during peak times there are hundreds). It was still fantastic. William showed us to our room, it was AMAZING. The wood work in there was fantastic, the smell that came off of the cypress furniture was great. We loved everything about our room. FYI the beds are firm. We are American but live in Taipei, so we're use to the firm beds and don't mind them(that is what you get in Asia). William showed us a flower that only blooms at night, it was fun to go check it out the next morning and see that the flower had fallen off. We set up breakfast for 8 the next morning. They served us a tradition Taiwanese breakfast, it was a delicious hot meal. William and his wife talked with us for a bit before we left and suggested a few places to go. The location is out of town, we really enjoyed that aspect but some may not. William and his wife were just great. I highly recommend this place. In fact we're going to be going back in August!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TWNTVLR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Me and my kids really loved this place. We even saw beetles and fireflies there. What a great experience!

• Stayed May 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

From the reviews and price, I expected this place to be much nicer than it was. When we got there I was surprised to see that it needed some upkeep, i.e. painting, sanding, dusting, weeding, etc. The bathrooms are lovely and the rooms are clean, but it felt a bit like staying in a cabin, to be honest. William tried to forewarn us that the beds were hard, and he was correct. The location is extremely out of the way, and is surrounded by beautiful rice fields, but I thought it's location was a bit inconvenient. We enjoyed our time with William and his wife. He was quite kind to show us the fireflies and garden. To be honest, I would have been happier if I didn't feel know I had just paid less for much nicer accommodations, (and in much better locations), elsewhere in Taiwan.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank wanderlust089
Singapore
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The bnb was located in a very quiet estate and the room design was very simple. The owners are very environmental friendly so if you are looking for a bit fanciful bnb u need to look elsewhere. For me i somehow felt there was an expectation gap in my 1 night stay. And if you have kids I do not recommend the quad room my kids were running up and down the stairs. The owners were very kind to quickly tidied up 2 rooms for me and moved to the new rooms within 30 minutes.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sept_Rain
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We are from Hong Kong and were looking for a rustic yet comfortable place for a retreat to be close to nature. This place was exactly what we were looking for! We loved the rich wooden decor and to be surrounded by the owner's very own blooming garden full of herbs, fruit plants and home grown vegetables.
The owners also paid a lot of detail into ensuring the room is homely - the ginger lilies in the bedroom and the wooden wash basin were the perks of the stay.

Overall a great experience and I highly recommend this for all who are looking for a place to get away and to relax in Yilan.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank kissaguramii
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This place has to be experienced. A little garden of Eden , floaitng amongst the Paddy feilds of Yilan. William and his wife. Were LOvely, helpful, spoke great English and worldly. William will be proud to show you his garden talk you though the plants and share his excitement of how it all oooks when the fireflies come out.
A lovely Tranquil ,quirky getaway from Taipei.
Oh and the traditional breakfasts, lovingly made from ingredients in the garden are off the scale.

A Soak in Jiaoxi hot springs and coupla sleeps here and a visit to the Luodong night market ( all connected by frequent trains) Is a lovely way to do a weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HawaiiFord
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I spent one night at the cottage but had the most wonderful stay. The owner and his wife treated me like family. They picked me up from the train station and gave me amazing suggestions for the area. In the morning, they prepared a delicious traditional Taiwanese breakfast. Aside from the hospitality, the property is quite amazing. The rooms are beautifully furnished, and the surrounding gardens are truly something special. I would definitely recommend Canaan House if you're looking for a relaxing escape from the city.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo