“Relaxing hot spring in countryside”

Hotel Royal Chiao Hsi
Ranked #5 of 161 Hotels in Yilan County
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We just returned from our easter break at Royal ChiaoHsi in Yilan, Taiwan. The hotspring hotel with Ryokan-like rooms were excellent and the hotspring in the hotel was very good comparable to those in Japan but at a lower price !

Room Tip: if you intend to spend time in the countryside with clean air and hotspring, Yilan is highly recomme...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank channel c

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed in the Japanese room facing the mountain - very beautiful and serene. The rest of my family entourage (includes 2 80+ folks and a 14 month old baby) had the Western mountain-facing room. Amazing room. The bath bags in the rooms are well thought of. Makes it very easy to bring along our wet clothes/swim suits when we go to the hot springs.

The hot springs park is huge and interesting. The private onsen separated by gender is very good too. The baby had a fun time bathing in the park.

Food was outstanding. Breakfast and dinner buffet were incredible. The dinner buffet was particularly amazing with the array of Western, Japanese and Taiwanese delicacies. Top notch buffet food.

One of the very few hotels that I would consider returning to if I travel to Taipei.

From Taipei airport, we drove to Yilan for about 2 hours. Very pleasant drive with mountainous views and looooonng tunnels.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank IntrepidGoose
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Driving Taiwan for 3 weeks we found this wonderful hotel on the internet only a day before arriving. We booked for 2....ended up staying for 4. Once we entered, we didn't leave. Our girls ( and us) had the most wonderful time....from the japanese room, the meals, the pool area, daily activities, night time yoga and most especially the open air hot spring tubs and the fish spa!! ....yes thats right...little fish to eat away your dead skin....how thoughtful :)
We walked the hotel day and night in our yukatas provided....how fun...except at meal times...however most did, and attended each evening to the indoor hot baths prior to bed.
They allocated a chef each meal to our daughter (a Coeliac) to cook her requests, also taking her through each buffet with what was gluten free. The Food and Beverage Manager spent hours researching Gluten Free, printing off information for all staff in the hotel, and providing us with recipes to check through. Very on the ball.
Gluten free is quite the challenge in Taiwan. Their knowledge is very limited....thank god for the Ipad....essential for many reasons holidaying here.
By the way...do the high tea..a must. Yum!
Great place...great memories.

Room Tip: Go the Japanese Rooms...the turn down service is delightful.
2  Thank Aussieontour
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I've been here at least 3 times, one time even in the villa to share with my siblings.

Each time I came it was with family and because we needed a break. I even stayed once while being ill from traveling in China, so my stomach was no good and needed tranquility. The 2 nights here really helped.

Each time I've stayed the staff are professional, polite and helpful.

The rooms are immaculately clean, the snacks to the rooms are very tasty, I bought bags of the rice treats and kumquats to share with friends at home in CA.

The buffet meal is bountiful, great selection and delicious. I'm a vegetarian and they have a section for vegetarians. The Japanese restaurant also had selections for me and the rest of my family said it was a very good meal.

I took one yoga class, nothing special, not hard at all, but was pleasant. (There were many non-yoga familiar older ladies in the group that complained about not being flexible enough, which was funny)

I remember getting a massage once, it was comfortable but not deep.

You can soak in your own room and don't have to soak in the public hot spring pool. I love the goldfish pond that have the fish nibble the dead skin off your feet. It really tickles but your feet come out super soft for very long.

The game room is fun with ping pong and pool tables. They have Wii rooms and other fun activities for small children. They have daily activities in the public area, some are for free, and often have evening entertainment in outer lobby.

You can tell that the owners of the hotel take consideration of client satisfaction.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Went with my cousin for a relaxing weekend. Completely blown away as we stepped off the hotel arranged airport pick up. You just have to be there to experience it! Japanese style everything, clean, pleasant, really nice. Brilliant front desk staff. Ample space in our tatami room, the best in-room spa bathroom I have seen for this kind of hotel. Delicious cookies tea and coffee provided in room. Dinner, afternoon tea and breakfast included. All restaurants are really nice. Buffet dinner was really something, the best in quality and variety! Outdoor hot spring is really very nice. Large swimming pool is beautiful (except they made us wear their hair cover. Remember to bring your own!) Evening entertainment at the lobby was different. We also visited the nearby night market, they have a free shuttle for that. Remember to buy some cookies from their own bakery at the lobby cafe.
Taiwanese Yilan local specialty plum wine, plum vinegar are a must buy at the basement, near the entrance of the public hot spring. Children and family activity are well organised. Must go!

Room Tip: Tatami might not suit all travelers, if you have a stiff back, don't.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Stayed at this resort as part of a tour package. Upon entering the resort, a hotel employee offered me some hot tea and brought my luggage from my bus to the lobby.

...as I initially thought that I was missing a large towel from the bathroom, a hotel employee quickly came by to bring a replacement and show me the large towels were located underneath the sink.

The hotel employee also spent time showing me the room, from the hidden wardrobes to the complimentary soft drinks, snacks, and tea in the room.

Our room was the "Western" style with a traditional 2 twin-sized mattresses.

The highlight of the stay was the buffet dinner. No penny was spared. Items from the buffet included seared ahi tuna w/ fish roe, fresh scallops w/ caviar, smoked salmon, sashimi, and crab. Everything from top to bottom was delicious.

Breakfast on the other hand, was more of a hit or miss. Some of the misses included the orange juice that tasted sour, the croissants that were rock hard, the smoked duck breast that was dry, and the bland pan-fried turnip cake.

The room itself was super comfortable and quiet!

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Took a cab from Taipei. First impression of the hotel - impressive, zen and upmarket.
Outdoor spa with hot spring water was excellent.
Room was a tad small but thoroughly enjoyed the little tub with piped in spring water.
Included meals were fantastic. Buffet spread was very respectable.
Staff were polite and eager to assist.
English widely spoken.