“Great Stay at the Holiday Inn while passing through the area”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Chillicothe
Warren, Rhode Island
“Great Stay at the Holiday Inn while passing through the area”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My girlfriend and I were driving from Kings Island in Mason OH to Virginia and stopped here after a long day at Kings Island. We also stayed here last year during a similar trip and enjoyed this hotel immensely.

We arrived late around 9 and checked out following day at 11:45, were allowed to stay after check out time which was nice. Check in and out was easy and staff was friendly. At check out, Deejay was working the desk and when I asked about late check out, he said it should be okay, but he would check, although he is the manager, so I thought that was strange...

This hotel is super modern, love the building outside, and the lobby is awesome as well. It is obvious the owners take great pride in the property, everything looks immaculate.

I read other reviews and the negative 1 star is a bit overboard, as this hotel is really nice compared to most in price range.

We had a king room second floor # 212 and it was nice, but view of pool building roof wasn't great. The a/c unit worked very well and was quiet. Flat screen was nice and the decor in room is perfect. Loved the lamps with plugs in the base, all of the furniture was in great condition and looked new. Loved the style of the rooms and bathroom was also immaculately clean.

The bed was comfortable and the pillows were nice and large we both had a great sleep!

Breakfast is very good as well, but the poor woman on our stay, was so overwhelmed trying to keep up with the high demand. Again the manager was standing behind desk and could have provided a quick hand to breakfast attendant, who was scrambling to refill food, empty trash, fill coffee, etc. They ran out of cinnamon buns about 10 minutes before breakfast ended disappointing guests as well as my self. They also only had chobani yogurt which I am not a big fan of. The scrambled eggs were okay but not a big fan. The sausage was also just okay and spicy. I love how they have so many different condiments for everything and even flavored coffee creamer! The selection of food is plentiful (when it is actually all filled). It was a Friday morning and perhaps another breakfast attendant could be beneficial for guest satisfaction.

It appeared to be pretty busy and parking can become somewhat limited! Not surprising, this hotel is quite popular!

There aren't many restaurants near hotel but if you hop on highway and go to next chilicothe exit, there are a ton of different eateries as we found out! I believe it is N Bridge Street.

If I ever pass thru the area again, I would gladly stay at this hotel again, although it is unfortunate that to each side of hotel entrance is either an empty abandoned Shell Gas Station and a old abandoned restaurant. Something awesome is across the street though, a DRIVE THRU convenience store! I am from Rhode Island and haven't seen one before. It was pretty awesome! I'd recommend this hotel as it is a great place to spend a night!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Mike M,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here at our hotel and you found it to be clean and comfortable. I do recall giving you a late checkout as requested, but I do apologize for the misinterpretation on the statement you mentioned I made that I would check on it for you. Elsa our breakfast host does a wonderful job and takes a lot of pride in her work. We are required to have someone at the desk at all times and our breakfast hosts know when they need help to ask. Our ownership and management company trusts me and my staff to take care of our hotel. We do take a lot of pride in proving our guests with clean and comfortable rooms along with great service.

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed 30 May 2014

While driving from VA Beach to IN Siri sent me on a shortcut on US 35. Nice enough route most of the time but there are very few amenities. Be sure you have gas and have time to get out of the farmland before stopping at the end of the day. After no room availability in Gallipollis, OH, I drove on a couple more hours to Chillicothe. The entrance to the Holiday Inn Express is small and easy to pass but once you've arrived it's a welcome find. The inn is clean, modern. The beds and pillows comfortable. There is breakfast served from 6-10.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor. The window overlooked a roof. It didn't matter to me. I arrived and w...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WhisperDowntheLane
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear WhisperDowntheLane,

Thank you so much for you wonderful review. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and you found it to be clean and comfortable.

Bay City, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel appears to be relatively new. Walking in gave you a sense that this was a clean place. The staff was very attentive when we checked in. Rooms were as expected - clean and comfortable. Wifi worked very well. The morning breakfast was fresh - love their cinnamon buns. A good place to stay if you are in the area.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andreas T
Dear Andreas T,

Thank you so much for your great feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The hotel was actually built in 1998. Our current ownership purchased it in 2011 and after a huge renovation of the entire hotel we opened back up in March 2012 as a Holiday Inn Express. We take a lot of pride in making sure we provide our guests with a clean and comfortable hotel along with great customer service.

MOUNTAIN TOP
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Checked in the evening without having any reservations. The staff was very helpful and courteous the whole time I stayed. Got a King size bed with a descent price. The room was clean, spacious, and comfortable without any type of noise on the first floor and was easy to access. Breakfast was the best, had so many choices from hot to cold foods. I would have like to stay one more night but it was already booked up for that following day/night because of a Festival going on in town. But the staff was very helpful and recommended some other hotels in the area that had rooms. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay again.

Room Tip: Staff was very courteous/helpful and breakfast was great!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Carol S
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Carol S,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am very glad to hear that our staff was very helpful and courteous during your stay. We have a really good selection when it comes to our breakfast that a lot of our guests enjoy. The weekend during the Feast of the flowering moon was a very busy weekend for us. I'm glad to hear that your overall stay with us was a great and positive experience.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Having stayed at a recently renovated Holiday Inn that posters gave a high rating and I thought was horrible, I didn't have a lot of hope for this stay. Fortunately, I was completely surprised to find a beautifully renovated and smartly decorated property that truly deserves the high rating it received. The dark wood furnishings against the blue accent wall, the crystal and leather based lamps and the brown and blue swirl carpeting give the rooms a rich look and feeling. Housekeeping is immaculate and the bathrooms are good size with a lot of counter space. Throw in the 48 inch TV and the comfy bed and what more do you need? Oh, breakfast! That's also free. Great job, HIE Chillicothe!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear romadaro,

Thank you so much for you wonderful review! I am so grateful that we went above and beyond your expectations. A lot of time and effort went into our full renovation in 2012 and most would never guess that our building was built in 1998. We've done some amazing renovations and it does show! We truly take a lot of pride in our hotel and want each and every guest to have a great experience.

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe. We appriciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Millburn, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a newly renovated and nice property. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable.
The breakfast service was the best part. Such nice friendly staff! Food was fresh and plentiful. Nice size coffee cups were a plus....Hotel location is mediocre. Not much else around, but hotel was very nice.
Our sink drain was slow to clear, room was a bit dark. Would love a magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Shower head was pretty good! Water was nice and hot.
Overall, a nice hotel that met our needs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kgbest87
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Kgbest87 ,

Thank you so much for you wonderful feedback. I am very glad to hear we met your needs. Our hotel was completely renovated 2 years ago. We take a lot of pride in the level of service and cleanliness of our hotel. I'm very sorry to hear about your sink. We would have had someone fix it right away for you had we known. I am very glad to know you had a great breakfast experience. We are on the east side of town away from the busy traffic and all restaurants, but we quietly located right off the highway for easy access.

Kaneohe, Hawaii
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We made a reservation at this property as a stop-over on a long drive. Because of a late start, we arrived at about 11pm, but had no concerns about where we were going to stay due to being platinum members in this hotel chain's travel program. Unfortunately, we were mistaken.

When we entered the lobby the associate behind the desk, Rhonda, checked us in and assigned us to room 201. We went upstairs to the room, and discovered it was a king room with a jacuzzi tub. Not what we reserved, but we are often 'upgraded' due to the platinum status so they can rebook the lower priced rooms. The first thing I do when entering a hotel room is check to make sure it is clean and I quickly discovered it was not. Upon entering the bathroom, there was toothpaste on the vanity in front of the sink, and soap or shampoo smeared around near the faucet. The toilet paper was hanging at an odd angle, and the bed was made but kind of askew...not what one usually encounters when staying at this chain. There was also half of a green Kohl's box, from a piece of jewelry, just under the foot of the bed (which only has a toe-kick space, not an opening under the bed). The towels in the bathroom looked like they were fresh, but it was clear that if housekeeping was begun, it had never been finished.

I went back to the desk, where Rhonda was, and there were no other customers at the desk. I told her that the room hadn't been cleaned, and told her about the vanity. In the process of explaining what the situation was, two other people came into the lobby from outside. She said to me that if I gave her a few minutes, she would get some cleaning supplies and come clean the bathroom. She said she would "knock ten dollars off the price of the room" which I declined, and told her I would like another room. She looked on the computer and said "that's a king jacuzzi room, isn't it? We don't have anymore available" to which I responded that the room we reserved was a king room, and that we had probably been upgraded due to our platinum statues. Then asked me to hold on a minute while she helped the other people! The first woman was checked into her room and assigned a room on the 3rd floor. I stood and waited again, while Rhonda answered the phone and spoke with a person who was looking for someone who might work there in housekeeping. Then she got off the phone and actually asked the next person if she could help him. By then I was quite agitated and the gentleman said to her, no, she's been waiting.....

She obviously was reluctant to assist me...I said to her that I was not interested in staying in the room we had been assigned, because if the bathroom hasn't been cleaned, then the rest of the room probably hadn't been either. She looked at her computer and said they were sold out, there were no other rooms available. I said "you're telling me that every single room in this hotel is currently occupied?" and she said no, but they are all reserved, that there were only rooms with 2 queen beds and they were probably reserved that way because they were families who needed more than one bed. At that point, it was about 11:30pm, I was extremely tired and it was obvious I was going to get nowhere with Rhonda.

I returned to the room, where I used the soap and towels to clean the bathroom myself. Fortunately I travel with antibacterial wiped for use on the plane, and I was able to clean the bathroom enough to use it. Unfortunately this room only had a computer chair for sitting, so I spent the night sleeping in my clothes sitting up in the computer chair, since I could not be sure the bed was clean. My exhausted husband, who is far more adventurous than I, slept in the bed. I am not willing to risk getting sick before a long international flight by sleeping on pillows that may or may not have fresh linens on them.

In the morning, there was a note under the door from Rhonda, comping us the room, as if that is an adequate response to a customer coming to tell you that the room assigned to them hadn't been cleaned. An adequate response would have been to give us another room, and barring the ability to do so, she should have been on the phone looking for a room elsewhere for us. If our room wasn't cleaned, then really, were any of them in this hotel? I still had a long drive ahead of me that day, and on very little sleep. This is completely unacceptable.

The photos I have uploaded were taken after I returned to the room after trying to get a different room and being unsuccessful. In one of the photos, you can see that it is almost midnight. After taking these photos I cleaned the bathroom, and attempted to sleep in the computer chair. This is completely unacceptable.

Room Tip: Check immediately to see if the room is clean when you arrive. It may not be!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
DeeJay H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chillicothe East, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear SonriseBMD,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your frustration and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. The room cleanliness was unacceptable and I have taken the appropriate action. It is my understanding that Rhonda did offer to come up and clean your room to make things right but was refused. I’m very sorry you had a negative experience here at our hotel. We want all of our guest to have a positive experience. We take a lot of pride in our hotel. I do hope the next time you are traveling through you will give us another try.